TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 28, 2024, 06:23:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who would you like to see at Cropredy 2011?  (Read 343549 times)
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #660 on: January 13, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »

I've been a fan of Hawkwind since the early 70s, when a school mate introduced them to me. I would still class them as my favourite band of all time and would love to see them at Cropredy.

But if not, how about Nik Turner's Space Ritual, most of the early Hawkwind members are in this band and to be honest they sound more like Hawkwind now a days than the real thing.

Without wishing to divert this thread into a debate on the merits of Hawkwind, it would be terribly disappointing and out of kilter with the whole ethos of the band if the current Hawkwind were to sound exactly like the early 70's version.  All powerto Nik for bringing a version that attracts a certain audience, but the appeal of Hawkwind (to me) is that the band has constantly changed while remaining the same, if that makes sense.

I have a feeling that neither NT'S SR or Hawkwind would go down well at Cropredy, any more than Man did some years back.  One person who might do, however, voice permitting, is Mr. Fish if he were to play an early Marillion loaded set, as opposed to performing the whole of the "Suits" album..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #661 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »

Ray Montagne would be nice Smiley

C & M

Yes please   Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #662 on: January 13, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »

I've been a fan of Hawkwind since the early 70s, when a school mate introduced them to me. I would still class them as my favourite band of all time and would love to see them at Cropredy.

But if not, how about Nik Turner's Space Ritual, most of the early Hawkwind members are in this band and to be honest they sound more like Hawkwind now a days than the real thing.

Without wishing to divert this thread into a debate on the merits of Hawkwind, it would be terribly disappointing and out of kilter with the whole ethos of the band if the current Hawkwind were to sound exactly like the early 70's version.  All powerto Nik for bringing a version that attracts a certain audience, but the appeal of Hawkwind (to me) is that the band has constantly changed while remaining the same, if that makes sense.

I have a feeling that neither NT'S SR or Hawkwind would go down well at Cropredy, any more than Man did some years back.  One person who might do, however, voice permitting, is Mr. Fish if he were to play an early Marillion loaded set, as opposed to performing the whole of the "Suits" album..

Man went down very well from where I was standing... Having said that they may have played twice I think?  Hmmm, leave me alone with my memories, its probably for the best (the one I remember was a Sat pm slot, and they were all in grey suits, playing the most delicious psychedelic noise you've ever heard).  I'll check out what on earth I'm talking about later!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #663 on: January 13, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »

Man went down very well from where I was standing... Having said that they may have played twice I think?  Hmmm, leave me alone with my memories, its probably for the best (the one I remember was a Sat pm slot, and they were all in grey suits, playing the most delicious psychedelic noise you've ever heard).  I'll check out what on earth I'm talking about later!

Yes, that was the Man appearance I was referring to.  I recall enjoying it for the reasons my wife and friends hated it - loud, lots of soloing etc etc..!  It appeared that not too many other people had the same level of enthusiasm...

Thank Drunk I'm God
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #664 on: January 13, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »

I'd rather like to see Roy Wood back leading a right good Cropredy sing song
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #665 on: January 13, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »

the wrinkly rockers Status Quo went down well last year

Many would beg to differ.

Yes, many!!!

No Left Turn Unstoned
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #666 on: January 13, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »

the wrinkly rockers Status Quo went down well last year

Many would beg to differ.

Yes, many!!!

Indeed.  I went window shopping around the stalls after enduring a bit of it from the bar, kept me amused long enough.  In The Army Now whilst watching the crowd was amusing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:35:26 PM by Goaty » Logged

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Roger Thorpe

« Reply #667 on: January 13, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »

Tim Blake/Crystal Machine, anyone?

Oh man. Watching and hearing him play at glastonbury about thirty years ago was just....   something. There are only a handful of gigs that I will never forget but that's one of them.
I don't think that could ever be repeated, but I'd really love to see what he'd do now.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #668 on: January 13, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »

Tim Blake/Crystal Machine, anyone?

Oh man. Watching and hearing him play at glastonbury about thirty years ago was just....   something. There are only a handful of gigs that I will never forget but that's one of them.
I don't think that could ever be repeated, but I'd really love to see what he'd do now.

Well, he's (back) in Hawkwind, so that's another vote for them, then...(and playing very well last time I saw them - at the Porchester Hall 40th anniversary gigs in 2009)...lovely bloke too.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #669 on: January 13, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »

i first saw hawkwind when their first album was released and thought they were a noisy novelty act whose drummer managed to strip off while still hammering away at his traps. then one of my pals bought in search of space and the love was unconfined, then we  went to see the space ritual and it was effing awesome, one of the all time great shows.
 i reckoned they would never get any better so ive not seen them since

The Dude abides
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #670 on: January 13, 2011, 11:15:14 PM »

If we must go back to the druggier part of the 70's, I'd rather have Gong than Hawkwind.

But that's just me..... and my Cropredy buddy.

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #671 on: January 13, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »

If we must go back to the druggier part of the 70's, I'd rather have Gong than Hawkwind.

Now both would be wonderful.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #672 on: January 13, 2011, 11:32:36 PM »

Ray Montagne would be nice Smiley

C & M

Yes please   Grin

Sorry, that should have read Ray Lamontagne . . . but I think you guessed that anyway  Roll Eyes

Mark

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #673 on: January 14, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »

Can I be excused that day?   I'll bring a sick note and everything.  Just don't make me listen to Gong!  Shocked

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
LauraPountney

Loc: Cropredy

« Reply #674 on: January 14, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »

One person who might do, however, voice permitting, is Mr. Fish if he were to play an early Marillion loaded set, as opposed to performing the whole of the "Suits" album..
[/quote]

Fish would be fab.  Love early Marillion, even better if he could bring the old band along...
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #675 on: January 14, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »

Can I be excused that day?   I'll bring a sick note and everything.  Just don't make me listen to Gong!  Shocked

Jules
Beautiful Days had both Hawkwind and Gong a couple of years ago. Hawkwind were far worse than I thought they would be, but Gong were far, far better.
So if it's one or t'other, I'd go for Gong.
A big YES to Fish too!  

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #676 on: January 14, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »

went to see the space ritual and it was effing awesome, one of the all time great shows.
 i reckoned they would never get any better so ive not seen them since

If you are making love it is imperative to bring all bodies to orgasm
simultaneously
Do not waste time blocking your ears.

Always maks me chuckle.  Grin
Aah, the nagging choirs of memory............
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #677 on: January 15, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »

Jules
A big YES to Fish too!  

A large cod in a tank, centre stage, would be preferable.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #678 on: January 15, 2011, 12:40:39 PM »

A big YES to Fish too!  

Yes indeed.  I'd much rather watch that.  If Gong and Fish (or Marillion) ever both show up at Croppers then I'll be going to another festival as far away from it as possible.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #679 on: January 15, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »

A big YES to Fish too!  

Yes indeed.  I'd much rather watch that.  If Gong and Fish (or Marillion) ever both show up at Croppers then I'll be going to another festival as far away from it as possible.

Jules

Speaking of things piscatorial, I'd like to see stadium stoners Phish, plus, The Invisible Opera Company of Tibet (so Jules won't know what's hit him until he's innocently grooving with wild abandon)  Grin

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: