TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2024, 10:59:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 208   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1951452 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3740 on: May 24, 2023, 10:13:09 PM »

Tina Turner is one of those I had thought to be immortal  Cry
vince42

« Reply #3741 on: May 24, 2023, 10:16:01 PM »

Sad news.  I saw her in the 80's with Robert Cray as support.  He was excellent and came back on at the latter part of Tinas set with all the old hits - great stuff.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3742 on: May 24, 2023, 11:12:45 PM »

Tina Turner is one of those I had thought to be immortal  Cry

Said the exact same thing earlier.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3743 on: May 25, 2023, 01:41:47 PM »

The legend that was Tina Turner at 83 😢
Just read this. What a gal - incredible voice, legs and hair. She went through hell and came out the other side singing. RIP Tina.
Sorry to burst your bubble but it was a wig!
I knew that  Wink

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3744 on: May 25, 2023, 02:12:33 PM »

I saw Tina on the Private Dancer tour in Edinburgh with Bryan Adams supporting. My main memory of that night is that during Bryan's set one guy, who was obviously mainly there to see him, made his way to the front of the stalls and punched the air along to all the songs from Reckless. Towards the end of his set Bryan went to the edge of the stage and shook the guy's hand. He must've gone home a happy headbanger!

There's a nice tribute from Midge Ure on Twitter  -

"Absolute Queen. Tina sat waiting patiently in the stalls of the Wimbledon Theatre during rehearsals for the Princess Trust concert. No demands. No pulling rank. She waited a long time till it was her turn, then showed her ‘backing band’ below how it was done. Class personified."

The backing band included the likes of Macca, Clapton, Rod Stewart, Elton etc.  Cool

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3745 on: May 25, 2023, 06:01:16 PM »

RIP Tina Turner. This rockumentary "When Tina Turner Came To Britain" is well worth a look. Gave me a new appreciation of her life and work.

Available on BBC I-Player for the next few weeks :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001gnqq/when-tina-turner-came-to-britain
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #3746 on: May 26, 2023, 12:47:55 AM »

I saw Tina on the Private Dancer tour in Edinburgh with Bryan Adams supporting. My main memory of that night is that during Bryan's set one guy, who was obviously mainly there to see him, made his way to the front of the stalls and punched the air along to all the songs from Reckless. Towards the end of his set Bryan went to the edge of the stage and shook the guy's hand. He must've gone home a happy headbanger!

There's a nice tribute from Midge Ure on Twitter  -

"Absolute Queen. Tina sat waiting patiently in the stalls of the Wimbledon Theatre during rehearsals for the Princess Trust concert. No demands. No pulling rank. She waited a long time till it was her turn, then showed her ‘backing band’ below how it was done. Class personified."

The backing band included the likes of Macca, Clapton, Rod Stewart, Elton etc.  Cool

My first ever major concert was the Private Dancer tour, though I caught the Birmingham show. Like the fellow you describe, I was there for Bryan Adams. I wasn't - and I'm still not - a fan of Tina Turner's music, but I have to say, she was excellent. Very charismatic and came across as a really good egg. She was joined onstage by David Bowie, for a song or two, too.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #3747 on: June 06, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »

Astrud Gilberto..."The Girl from Ipanema"...Aged 83
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #3748 on: June 06, 2023, 10:38:41 PM »

Groundhogs guitarist Tony McPhee at 79.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3749 on: June 07, 2023, 08:45:43 AM »

I was just thinking about the Groundhogs yesterday.  Very sad.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3750 on: June 07, 2023, 08:55:03 AM »

I saw him a couple of times, once with The Groundhogs who played an excellent set in about '87 to a handful of people in Aberdeen and to a much larger crowd in Morecambe in 2006. The latter was an acoustic gig with just himself and a female vocalist. She was very good but he less so. Still, it's sad to hear of his passing.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3751 on: June 07, 2023, 08:40:48 PM »

I heard today that His Bobness once told John Fogerty to keep doing  Creedence songs (At a time when he wasn't), otherwise other people like Tina Turner would get all the credit for them.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bernie

« Reply #3752 on: June 08, 2023, 12:36:52 AM »

Not with that me? Or have I missed something?. .
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3753 on: June 08, 2023, 05:13:29 PM »

Translation, please!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3754 on: June 08, 2023, 07:34:37 PM »

Pianist and "New Age" pioneer George Winston, aged 74.

I believe he was largely responsible for the success of Windham Hill Records in the 1980s (Windham Hill of course provided a home for Invisible Means by French Frith Kaiser Thompson). One of my brothers came home from a George Winston show in the 1980s with the sheet music for Vince Guaraldi's Linus and Lucy. Winston was reportedly a huge fan of Guaraldi and played/recorded his music frequently. R.I.P.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3755 on: June 08, 2023, 08:00:34 PM »

Translation, please!

Jules

Umm I thought it was just me ...probably some kind of ridiculous autocorrect messing up Bernie’s post by auto uncorrecting. Wonders of technology.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3756 on: June 08, 2023, 10:41:35 PM »

I believe he was largely responsible for the success of Windham Hill Records in the 1980s (Windham Hill of course provided a home for Invisible Means by French Frith Kaiser Thompson). One of my brothers came home from a George Winston show in the 1980s with the sheet music for Vince Guaraldi's Linus and Lucy. Winston was reportedly a huge fan of Guaraldi and played/recorded his music frequently. R.I.P.

Sad to hear this. He was also an excellent guitarist and harmonica player but his piano albums are certainly his most popular. When I was at University in the mid-1980’s, the ‘seasonal’ piano albums were always playing from someone’s room. He had such a defined piano sound but I know he disliked that New Age tag. Will have to play ‘Autumn’ tonight in his memory

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3757 on: June 09, 2023, 09:04:39 AM »

Sad to hear this. He was also an excellent guitarist and harmonica player but his piano albums are certainly his most popular. When I was at University in the mid-1980’s, the ‘seasonal’ piano albums were always playing from someone’s room. He had such a defined piano sound but I know he disliked that New Age tag. Will have to play ‘Autumn’ tonight in his memory

Oh that's sad. George Winston is one of a few Windham Hill artists I really like.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #3758 on: June 13, 2023, 06:21:19 PM »

Maybe, sadly, only of interest to the Irish contingent. But RTE just announced the death of Aslan frontman Christy Dignam after a long, dignified and very public battle with cancer (aged 63).
In another world with different breaks it's been said they could have been U2. RIP.
https://youtu.be/ExLzypi1dzE

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3759 on: June 13, 2023, 10:38:10 PM »

I saw Christy on tv recently, and you could see he wasn't long for this world.   My oldest daughter put me on to Aslan a long time ago, when I was missing Horslips the first time round.
Sad , if not unexpected , news RIP Christy😔

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 208   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: