TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2024, 01:18:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 208   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1950598 times)
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #3820 on: August 26, 2023, 11:10:00 AM »

Bernie Marsden of Whitesnake, UFO, Wild Turkey, Babe Ruth and others.

Whitesnake were my favourite band of the late seventies/early eighties.
He wrote the music for a lot of the 'Snakes hits including Here I Go Again, and also a hilarious little skit he read out on Tommy Vance's Rock On ! programme concerning Whitesnake's rather miss matched U.S tour supporting Jethro Tull, written, for some reason in pidgin French. (Les Snakes :Ou et le soundcheck ? M Tull : Quelle soundcheck ? etc)

I met him a few times and he was always friendly and happy to sign stuff.

R.I.P Bernie.

Oh! that's sad news...

Always loved the early Whitesnake lineup with Bernie on board, and was really looking forward to seeing him in conversation with "Whispering" Bob Harris, at the Beacon (Civic Hall) Wantage this coming October...Rest in peace Bernie...  
PJayBe

« Reply #3821 on: August 27, 2023, 09:20:20 AM »

A lesser known rock guitarist is Chris Overland of Brit-AOR-ers Wildlife and FM who passed last week.  His brother Steve still fronts the band and my sympathies go out to him and all members past and present.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3822 on: September 02, 2023, 10:51:47 AM »

Jimmy Buffett, 76. No cause f death has been announced.

Buffett was one of the world's richest musicians, with an estimated net worth of $1 billion.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #3823 on: September 02, 2023, 12:05:35 PM »

Buffett was one of the world's richest musicians, with an estimated net worth of $1 billion.

Ahhh, I liked him.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #3824 on: September 02, 2023, 02:06:18 PM »

One on my list I always wanted to see but very rarely played in UK. A great songwriter especially on his first albums.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3825 on: September 03, 2023, 10:42:54 PM »

R.I.P. the great Jimmy Buffett.

Mrs. J From A was a Buffett fan dating back to her college years, long before Margaritaville (during his "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" phase). Her first Buffett concert, however, was with me in 2007 up in Frisco, Texas, at a soccer stadium. It was a feast of sights and sounds to say the least; Parrotheads got good and liquored up before the show, and the atmosphere was raucous.

We saw him several more times in Austin between 2013 and his last Austin show at the Moody Center in 2022. Looking back on it, we now know he was already afflicted with skin cancer by then.

He has a strong Austin connection. He conceived of the song Margaritaville at a Mexican restaurant just up the street from my house called Lung's Cocina Del Sur (owned by locally famous Chinese-American restauranteur Joe Lung). My family used to dine there regularly in the 1970s. He also used Austin as his launching pad for several recent tours, working out the sets at the Circuit of the Americas amphitheater. As Sammy Hagar tweeted yesterday, Rest in Paradise Jimmy Buffett.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3826 on: September 05, 2023, 09:33:05 AM »

Gary Wright, apparently.  

I associated him.with Spooky Tooth , who were okay, but I just looked him up and I hadn't realised what a talent he was.
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #3827 on: September 05, 2023, 10:46:01 AM »

OK, I can't hold this in any longer...

Is there not some kind of irony having this thread in the "Active" sub-forum.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3828 on: September 05, 2023, 10:46:56 AM »

Yes.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3829 on: September 05, 2023, 05:17:02 PM »

Yes.

Are you proposing an "InActive" sub-forum?
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #3830 on: September 05, 2023, 06:56:26 PM »

A good musician's legacy lives on...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3831 on: September 06, 2023, 04:13:34 PM »

Just heard the sad news that Bruce Guthro of Runrig and lots of solo work has passed away at 62. He had not been well apparently but I was hoping it wasn’t this bad. Whatever one thought of him as ‘the replacement’ I thought Bruce had a lot of guts. As related in the Runrig documentary, when their managers son heard him sing while in Canada, the band tracked him down. He had no idea who they were but decided to fly over and ‘audition’ them! To join an established band, and a bilingual one at that with an entire culture to them could not have been easy. But Bruce made it work and IMHO Runrig relaxed a little bit which allowed Malcolm Jones in particular to shine more on stage. I also thought he was a very good and expressive singer. Also seemed such a decent guy too. Sad to hear this
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 04:26:39 PM by RobertD » Logged

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3832 on: September 06, 2023, 08:42:01 PM »

Just heard the sad news that Bruce Guthro of Runrig and lots of solo work has passed away at 62. He had not been well apparently but I was hoping it wasn’t this bad. Whatever one thought of him as ‘the replacement’ I thought Bruce had a lot of guts. As related in the Runrig documentary, when their managers son heard him sing while in Canada, the band tracked him down. He had no idea who they were but decided to fly over and ‘audition’ them! To join an established band, and a bilingual one at that with an entire culture to them could not have been easy. But Bruce made it work and IMHO Runrig relaxed a little bit which allowed Malcolm Jones in particular to shine more on stage. I also thought he was a very good and expressive singer. Also seemed such a decent guy too. Sad to hear this
Saw Runrig loads of times with Donnie but never with Bruce. Still gutted though.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3833 on: September 07, 2023, 11:21:42 AM »

Just heard the sad news that Bruce Guthro of Runrig and lots of solo work has passed away at 62. He had not been well apparently but I was hoping it wasn’t this bad. Whatever one thought of him as ‘the replacement’ I thought Bruce had a lot of guts.

Saw Runrig loads of times with Donnie but never with Bruce. Still gutted though.

A friend of mine was very upset by the news. I don't know if she was old enough to see them with Donnie but saw them plenty of times with Bruce as her dad was a friend of Malcolm's. I just saw them the once with Bruce in the early 2000s. I gave The Stamping Ground a listen last night, first time in ages. Good record and according to Wiki, it was one of their most successful.

I met their drummer Iain Bayne once in his home town of St Andrews. It was just after Donnie had left the band and it was interesting to hear Iain's take on what had happened. He told me that Donnie had become surrounded by sycophants who were constantly telling him he didn't need the band and he would do so much better on his own. I don't remember his solo career being all that successful.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3834 on: September 07, 2023, 04:15:45 PM »

Just heard the sad news that Bruce Guthro of Runrig and lots of solo work has passed away at 62. He had not been well apparently but I was hoping it wasn’t this bad. Whatever one thought of him as ‘the replacement’ I thought Bruce had a lot of guts.

A friend of mine was very upset by the news. I don't know if she was old enough to see them with Donnie but saw them plenty of times with Bruce as her dad was a friend of Malcolm's. I just saw them the once with Bruce in the early 2000s. I gave The Stamping Ground a listen last night, first time in ages. Good record and according to Wiki, it was one of their most successful.

I met their drummer Iain Bayne once in his home town of St Andrews. It was just after Donnie had left the band and it was interesting to hear Iain's take on what had happened. He told me that Donnie had become surrounded by sycophants who were constantly telling him he didn't need the band and he would do so much better on his own. I don't remember his solo career being all that successful.

I thought Donnie left to go into politics!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3835 on: September 07, 2023, 04:28:14 PM »

My understanding too...because that is literally what he did.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3836 on: September 07, 2023, 05:45:03 PM »

I found a Donnie Munro CD in a charity shop last year - sad to say, I found it rather dull, so back it went - I hope it's found its way to someone who likes it...

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3837 on: September 08, 2023, 09:58:34 AM »

My understanding too...because that is literally what he did.

Not as sucessfully as Pete Wishart, though!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3838 on: September 08, 2023, 03:22:27 PM »

Yes you're right. He stood in a couple of elections for the Labour Party but without success. Maybe that's what Iain meant when he told me that - that these people convinced Donnie he would do better in politics than music.

He has released a few solo records but I haven't heard any of them.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3839 on: September 10, 2023, 12:18:40 PM »

Don't think this has been posted...apologies if it has.  Pete Wishart on Bruce Guthro:

https://www.thenational.scot/culture/23775103.pete-wishart-bruce-guthros-talent-warmth-keeps-hearts/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 208   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: