TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 08, 2024, 12:36:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 208   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1938979 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3900 on: November 30, 2023, 01:02:43 PM »

RIP Shane...

I know there's going to be wall-to-wall "Fairytale Of New York" on the wireless for the next few weeks, but I have hope that people will be curious enough to dig deeper into the extensive recorded catalogue of this iconic saloon bar poet.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #3901 on: November 30, 2023, 01:08:24 PM »

RIP Shane...

I know there's going to be wall-to-wall "Fairytale Of New York" on the wireless for the next few weeks, but I have hope that people will be curious enough to dig deeper into the extensive recorded catalogue of this iconic saloon bar poet.

Amen to that!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #3902 on: November 30, 2023, 01:14:26 PM »

We all knew that was coming...

A really fascinating enigma of a man...huge brain, and massive heart and some wonderful music to enjoy (much as I loathe Fairytale!).  Privileged to have seen the Pogues at least twice in the 80s...they were great fun.

Really sad news. Any bets on the Christmas No 1 this year? - I saw them twice too - once supporting Elvis Costello and once when Shane was so drunk he could hardly stand. They were still great though!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3903 on: November 30, 2023, 01:19:07 PM »

We all knew that was coming...

A really fascinating enigma of a man...huge brain, and massive heart and some wonderful music to enjoy (much as I loathe Fairytale!).  Privileged to have seen the Pogues at least twice in the 80s...they were great fun.

Really sad news. Any bets on the Christmas No 1 this year? - I saw them twice too - once supporting Elvis Costello and once when Shane was so drunk he could hardly stand. They were still great though!

Interestingly, one of the times I saw them was at Glastonbury in '86 (just after the Waterboys as I recall).  I was in an exceedingly 'altered state' and looked up from my fascination with the light on the grass to see EC standing there watching the Pogues just in front of me.  It was in his hairy beardy, wearing a cloak stage and I was so freaked out by his presence I reverted quickly to staring at the grass. Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3904 on: November 30, 2023, 01:19:49 PM »

One of our very best songwriters . Saw them on the last five or six Christmas tours. Always drunk but always remembered his words. The last time he fell between the guitar amps and drum riser, got stuck, couldnt get up but carried on singing. Also saw him with The Popes. Three Banjos in the band, Keith (Swamp Donkey) would have loved it.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3905 on: November 30, 2023, 01:37:34 PM »

Sad day for Shane….
Now he will be looking down on us all and still drunkenly singing his great songs 😥

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3906 on: November 30, 2023, 02:46:17 PM »

Last time I saw him he was helped onstage. He would do a song, be helped off into a tent at the side of the stage, the other pogues would do a couple of songs and the he would be brought on and off all night until they finished with Fairytale.   I’m surprised he lasted as long as he did

The Dude abides
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3907 on: November 30, 2023, 03:33:22 PM »

I went through my Pogues phase as I was getting into all things folk/folk rock etc but set the albums aside for quite some time. A few months back I started listening to them again and I realized that though I still liked the other members contributions, nothing really had as much sway as Shane’s songs (though Phil Chevron’s Thousands Are Sailing is epic). Misty Morning, Albert Bridge, Broad Majestic Shannon, If I Should Fall From Grace With God, and others are my favorites. I remembered the joy of The Sick Bed Of Cuchulainn, the first thing I got by them and put it on the tape deck. And Fairytale is big over here too, and no doubt in the Irish pubs with or without any NYPD tonight they’ll be playing it

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3908 on: November 30, 2023, 04:01:41 PM »

The Internet tells me the Pogues played Austin once, at Liberty Lunch in June 1988. I was here, and I have no explanation for why or how I missed that one.

R.I.P. Shane, I wish I had been in the same room with you that time.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3909 on: November 30, 2023, 04:44:34 PM »

Just saw Shane with the Pogues the once supporting U2 at Murrayfield Stadium. I can see him with a glass in one hand, a fag in the other and he wandered off to the side of the stage frequently presumably for a refill. And it was one of the first times I saw Runrig as Bono added them to the bill at the last minute.

Anyway, RIP Shane McGowan. I'll have to have a look on YouTube of when The Pogues played with The Dubliners.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #3910 on: November 30, 2023, 05:15:17 PM »

The Pogues, De Montfort Hall Leicester, February 1988, and it just happened to be my birthday, so a double treat there!

Shane was in fine voice and the band raw & exciting. Terrific musicians! At one point Shane cheerfully shared a bottle of wine with the front row! Smiley

Rest in peace Shane.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3911 on: December 05, 2023, 05:16:49 PM »

Denny Laine, founder of The Moody Blues and Paul McCartney's Wingman.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3912 on: December 05, 2023, 05:31:58 PM »

Denny Laine, founder of The Moody Blues and Paul McCartney's Wingman.

Jules

Sad to hear this, RIP Denny : a vital cog in the wheel of those bands...
William

« Reply #3913 on: December 05, 2023, 07:39:36 PM »

Gone Now. So sad
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3914 on: December 05, 2023, 07:42:51 PM »

Sometime denizen of the area where I grew up, recruiting my neighbour as the late-era Wings drummer for "Back To The Egg".

A member of The Moody Blues and Wings, he also turned up at the Feathers pub with various musical mates, including Jimmy McCulloch & Macca once or twice.

His death leaves only two of those on the cover of "Band On The Run" alive - Macca and the 1970s world champion boxer John Conteh.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3915 on: December 05, 2023, 07:49:55 PM »

R.I.P. Denny Laine - He was a charming and engaging performer. Here are Denny, Mrs. J From A and myself at Joe's Pub in Dallas on April 29, 2018. This was his penultimate live performance in my home state. His voice was very rough, but he told great stories and played the devil out of his guitar. (Steve Holley guested magnificently on drums.)

* Denny Laine 4-29-2018.JPG (155.94 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 438 times.)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3916 on: December 05, 2023, 09:42:58 PM »

Such sad news. I loved Wings. A very sad week or so,  in this thread.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3917 on: December 06, 2023, 08:37:20 AM »

Sometime denizen of the area where I grew up, recruiting my neighbour as the late-era Wings drummer for "Back To The Egg".

A member of The Moody Blues and Wings, he also turned up at the Feathers pub with various musical mates, including Jimmy McCulloch & Macca once or twice.

His death leaves only two of those on the cover of "Band On The Run" alive - Macca and the 1970s world champion boxer John Conteh.

Your neighbour was Steve Holley? I thought he was American. He has occupied the drum stool of Ian Hunter's Rant Band for the last 20 years or so.

Very sad about Denny. I knew he was ill but was hoping for a recovery. I have been listening to his Japanese Tears album lately, an eclectic and entertaining set.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3918 on: December 06, 2023, 10:02:04 AM »

I was surprised to see Dave Brock's other half posting on FB that "We spent some lovely times together when he stayed here for a few months writing an album" and that they still had Denny's car at the farm...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3919 on: December 06, 2023, 11:32:24 AM »

Steve Holley (& his family) lived next door but one to me in the 1960s and is indeed English.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 04:42:07 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 208   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: