TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 16, 2024, 08:01:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1947779 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4120 on: August 10, 2024, 08:46:23 AM »

Just found out that Bebe , murdered in Southport, was the granddaughter of Michael Weston King! And his father passed away too this week. Our thoughts are with him and his family at this terrible time.

Such incredibly sad news, I found out earlier this week. Brings it closer to home when a tragedy like that happens to a relative of someone I've met and worked with.
Michael's statement on Facebook is so dignified, summing up thus "... peace, love and understanding is what we need, and it is all we need. Nothing else."
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4121 on: August 18, 2024, 03:22:49 PM »

Mike Maran.

Songwriter, musician etc.

Haven't heard anything of him for a long time. I still have a copy of his album Fair Warning.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #4122 on: August 18, 2024, 07:52:04 PM »

Mike Maran.

Songwriter, musician etc.

Haven't heard anything of him for a long time. I still have a copy of his album Fair Warning.

A name I know but I couldn't have told you much about him. Nice obit in the Scotsman newspaper written, incidentally, by the brother of a guy I was at school with.

"Mike was already on the tour bus, opening for established acts like Emerson Lake and Palmer, Captain Beefheart and ELO (and flunking the rock-star lifestyle; after miserably failing to roll a smokeable joint with a member of Steeleye Span one night, the pair consoled themselves with hotel-room hot chocolate)."

https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/obituaries-mike-maran-gifted-storyteller-and-fringe-favourite-famed-for-adaptation-of-captain-corellis-mandolin-4673060

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
William

« Reply #4123 on: August 19, 2024, 02:22:11 PM »

I believe that he was also credited with writing the theme tunes for Taggart and New Tricks. He must have been on the same label as Fairport at some point. My cassette copy of Rosie has a Mike Moran Fair Warning label on one side.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #4124 on: August 21, 2024, 05:52:19 AM »

This slipped way under my radar: Drummer Chet McCracken died on February 11, 2022, at the age of 75. I stumbled across his obituary when I was looking to see what he was up to these days.

Chet played drums for the last incarnation of the "original" Doobie Brothers, joining in 1979 to replace original drummer John Hartman. He played on the album "One Step Closer" and stayed through their dissolution in 1982, played their reunion shows in 1987, subbed in 1993 and finally toured with them in 1995 on the 25th anniversary reunion with Michael McDonald. The relationship soured when he and two other former members joined a tribute band called "The Original Doobie Brothers," organized by a fairly unscrupulous former manager of the group. The brand name confusion triggered an injunction. He was excommunicated from the Doobies family and excluded from their Hall of Fame induction in 2020, along with the other offenders. Last I heard he was literally playing West Coast weddings with a former guitarist from the band Chicago.

It's a shame how it all went down. He was a consummate professional drummer, with nice jazz chops, and played vibraphone as well as traps and percussion. I managed to see him play with the Bros. three times, in 1982, 1987, and 1995. I have specific memories of seeing him playing vibes up on the drum platform.

He was the last survivor of the original band's succession of drummers and percussionists. R.I.P. Bobby LaKind, Keith Knudsen, Mike Hossack, John Hartman, and Chet McCracken.
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« Reply #4125 on: August 21, 2024, 10:31:59 AM »

I believe that he was also credited with writing the theme tunes for Taggart and New Tricks. He must have been on the same label as Fairport at some point. My cassette copy of Rosie has a Mike Moran Fair Warning label on one side.
Mike Maran (Capt Corelli's mandolin etc)  not to be confused with Mike Moran (New Tricks etc), Mike Moran is thankfully still with us, RIP Mike Maran.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #4126 on: August 21, 2024, 10:54:13 AM »

Mike Maran (Capt Corelli's mandolin etc)  not to be confused with Mike Moran (New Tricks etc), Mike Moran is thankfully still with us, RIP Mike Maran.

Who was it did Rock Bottom with Lynsey de Paul - one of these or someone else?

DW
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #4127 on: August 21, 2024, 01:27:16 PM »

DW

The latter.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #4128 on: August 22, 2024, 02:53:45 PM »

DW

The latter.

Not Phil Mogg and Pete Way, then?  Wink

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4129 on: August 23, 2024, 11:45:47 AM »

Tim Hinkley

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PJayBe

« Reply #4130 on: August 23, 2024, 10:27:11 PM »

The great Roy Corkill, bass player on Black's Wonderful Life, and long time musical sidekick of Ian McNabb has sadly passed away.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4131 on: August 23, 2024, 11:22:15 PM »

The great Roy Corkill, bass player on Black's Wonderful Life, and long time musical sidekick of Ian McNabb has sadly passed away.

Ah, shite. He can't have been any age.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4132 on: August 24, 2024, 08:56:33 AM »

Jules

Very sad news.
Great bassist - I remember a few years ago seeing an Icicle Works gig at Komedia in Brighton (lineup Ian McNabb, Richard Naiff, Mathew Priest, Roy) and being very impressed with him. You can tell some musicians just have that stage presence.
Stood 4 feet away from Roy and his mighty Ampeg SVT stack.
Took me 48 hours to get the hearing back in my left ear...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4133 on: August 24, 2024, 09:00:46 AM »

Oh no. RIP Roy

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4134 on: August 24, 2024, 09:36:58 AM »

Jules

Very sad news.
Great bassist - I remember a few years ago seeing an Icicle Works gig at Komedia in Brighton (lineup Ian McNabb, Richard Naiff, Mathew Priest, Roy) and being very impressed with him. You can tell some musicians just have that stage presence.

I think I was at that show.

Very sad.
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4135 on: August 24, 2024, 11:36:09 AM »

Jules

Very sad news.

Very sad.

My archive dates it to November 16th 2017. Didn't realise it was quite that long ago.

Found a Setlist FM entry - looks like a superb set, good mix of IW and McNabb solo material :

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-icicle-works/2017/komedia-brighton-england-be0e582.html
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4136 on: August 24, 2024, 01:06:33 PM »

Jules

Very sad news.

Very sad.

My archive dates it to November 16th 2017. Didn't realise it was quite that long ago.

Found a Setlist FM entry - looks like a superb set, good mix of IW and McNabb solo material :

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-icicle-works/2017/komedia-brighton-england-be0e582.html

Yes that sounds about right. I haven't seen Ian or the Icicles since before the pandemic and the last two or three of his shows I saw were solo acoustic (Lewes & Worthing were two of them).
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4137 on: August 25, 2024, 05:34:59 PM »

Oh no. RIP Roy

This is officially very sh1te news indeed Cry

ps is this official - I can't see it anywhere online?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4138 on: August 25, 2024, 06:22:43 PM »

ps is this official - I can't see it anywhere online?

It's all over Facebook and Twitter, with lots of people sending condolences to Ian. Not sure it'd get written up elsewhere as yet.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #4139 on: September 06, 2024, 08:02:56 PM »

Legendary Brazilian singer Sergio Mendes, 83

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: