TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 20, 2024, 09:58:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 208   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1951967 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3580 on: January 20, 2023, 08:55:47 AM »

MrsB told me late last night that Croz had passed away and my first thought was that he'd done well to make it into his 80s. I was then awake early this morning listening to some Crosby & Nash and it really hit me. I've loved his music since my first CSN purchase which was the 1977 album bought in the early 80s. I saw CSN a couple of times, the first must have been the UK tour not long after he'd got out of the slammer and then more recently on a summer's evening at Edinburgh Castle. I remember Crosby complaining about how cold it was.  Smiley

The most recent album of his I've got is Sky Trails which, tbh, I haven't listened to much. Guess I just keep going back to the old stuff with Fifth Dimension being my favourite Byrds album.

In other news I see Van Connor, bassist with Screaming Trees, died this week at the age of 55. Their album Dust is a grunge masterpiece.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3581 on: January 20, 2023, 08:56:51 AM »

RIP Croz  Cry Cry

I’m so glad I got to see CS&N maybe 10 years ago now? David Crosby had one of those voices that touches your soul. I never thought he’d get past 50 let alone 80 so good on him for that.

Sad he never reconciled with the others but he knew it was his fault. Drugs makes you do irrational things.

He was good with Steven... https://twitter.com/Stephen__Stills/status/1616253305138675713

And (apart from being a stoner) he wasn't on drugs when he fell out with Graham and Neil.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3582 on: January 20, 2023, 09:40:16 AM »

RIP Croz  Cry Cry

I’m so glad I got to see CS&N maybe 10 years ago now? David Crosby had one of those voices that touches your soul. I never thought he’d get past 50 let alone 80 so good on him for that.

Sad he never reconciled with the others but he knew it was his fault. Drugs makes you do irrational things.

He was good with Steven... https://twitter.com/Stephen__Stills/status/1616253305138675713

And (apart from being a stoner) he wasn't on drugs when he fell out with Graham and Neil.
That’s good. I think all four of the band fell out with each other at some point. Like most families, I suppose!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #3583 on: January 20, 2023, 11:49:47 AM »

Best picture in the whole book.

* unnamed.jpg (994.44 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 951 times.)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3584 on: January 20, 2023, 11:52:49 AM »

RIP Croz  Cry Cry

Of course Phil Collins did make his one great musical contribution to the world by paying for Croz's liver transplant.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3585 on: January 20, 2023, 12:32:41 PM »

Of course Phil Collins did make his one great musical contribution to the world by paying for Croz's liver transplant.

I think he made a few more in the 70s but, yeah...that was a lovely gesture.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3586 on: January 25, 2023, 06:16:48 PM »

Top Topham ex Yardbirds.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3587 on: January 25, 2023, 06:45:46 PM »

Top Topham ex Yardbirds.

I saw Box of Frogs in about '84 and there was a shout out to TT who was in the audience.  He may even have got on stage but I can't remember...

Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #3588 on: January 28, 2023, 10:01:58 PM »

Tom Verlaine of Television.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3589 on: January 28, 2023, 10:02:55 PM »

Huge shock. A big one for me.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #3590 on: January 28, 2023, 10:16:42 PM »

Jules

Yes me too...Very sad news!...Playing Marquee Moon as we speak...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3591 on: January 28, 2023, 11:16:54 PM »

Jules

Yes me too...Very sad news!...Playing Marquee Moon as we speak...
Played it to death when it came out. I have the second album too on red vinyl!! And Little Johnny Jewel. RIP Tom.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3592 on: January 29, 2023, 10:27:49 AM »

I am heartbroken. I was listening to Tom's Flashlight album just yesterday. He was absolutely one of musical deities. RIP Tom.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3593 on: January 29, 2023, 12:48:21 PM »

I'm wanting to see something somewhere which doesn't go along with the absolute fiction that the third LP is barely worth a mention. I saw them soon after it came out and the material they played live matched that of the first two albums...

The last time I saw them was Green Man 2015.  Ok we had a super sub playing but even so, they were still extraordinary.  Truly transcendent music.

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3594 on: January 29, 2023, 05:00:31 PM »

James Mastro, ex Bongo’s, Health & Happiness Show, and who toured with Ian Hunter has a guitar shop in Hoboken, New Jersey. He wrote this on his FB about Tom Verlaine-

When Guitar Bar first opened in 1996, most of our initial inventory came from the band Television. Tom Verlaine was an even bigger hoarder of gear than me - my kind of guy. His storage lockers were caves of treasure, floor to ceiling with guitars, amps, and other musical oddities. My van would make multiple trips to load the booty, as we dug through the layers of boxes and cases, finding things he had forgotten he even had. Tom seemed happiest when talking about tubes, microphones, guitars, amps. I learned a lot, laughed a lot, and value the times I’ve spent with him over the years. There is no other guitarist like him, and his music is like that cave of treasure - always another gem to be found upon another listen, always more discoveries to be made upon digging just a bit more. Thank you, Tom Verlaine, for the great adventure.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3595 on: January 29, 2023, 05:05:32 PM »

James Mastro, ex Bongo’s, Health & Happiness Show, and who toured with Ian Hunter has a guitar shop in Hoboken, New Jersey. He wrote this on his FB about Tom Verlaine-

When Guitar Bar first opened in 1996, most of our initial inventory came from the band Television. Tom Verlaine was an even bigger hoarder of gear than me - my kind of guy. His storage lockers were caves of treasure, floor to ceiling with guitars, amps, and other musical oddities. My van would make multiple trips to load the booty, as we dug through the layers of boxes and cases, finding things he had forgotten he even had. Tom seemed happiest when talking about tubes, microphones, guitars, amps. I learned a lot, laughed a lot, and value the times I’ve spent with him over the years. There is no other guitarist like him, and his music is like that cave of treasure - always another gem to be found upon another listen, always more discoveries to be made upon digging just a bit more. Thank you, Tom Verlaine, for the great adventure.

Hell , I thought you were saying James had died for a minute.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3596 on: January 30, 2023, 11:55:15 AM »

Barrett Strong, who wrote and sung the original version of Money (That's What I Want), one of Motown's first hit records.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3597 on: January 30, 2023, 12:13:44 PM »

Barrett Strong, who wrote and sung the original version of Money (That's What I Want), one of Motown's first hit records.

Jules

A name well known to all Billy Bragg fans from Levi Stubbs' Tears -

"Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong
Are here to make everything right that's wrong
Holland and Holland and Lamont Dozier too
Are here to make it all okay with you."

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3598 on: February 02, 2023, 01:50:16 PM »

Tim Quy of the Cardiacs

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3599 on: February 09, 2023, 02:58:44 PM »

RIP Burt Bacharach, 94.

A true giant of the industry.

* Burt.JPG (127.88 KB, 675x852 - viewed 459 times.)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 208   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: