TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 20, 2024, 09:50:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 208   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1951962 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3600 on: February 09, 2023, 03:38:10 PM »

RIP Burt Bacharach, 94.

A true giant of the industry.

He had a good, long life. Mrs. J From A and I saw him with the Austin Symphony at the Long Center in November 2014. As I recall, he played piano and introduced all the songs. I can't recall if he sang anything, or turned everything over to guest singers. The songs, needless to say, were incredible.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3601 on: February 09, 2023, 05:01:27 PM »

So...apparently there was a reunion of sorts between the Croz and Nash... https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/music/info-2023/graham-nash-remembers-david-crosby.html

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3602 on: February 09, 2023, 05:20:58 PM »

So...apparently there was a reunion of sorts between the Croz and Nash... https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/music/info-2023/graham-nash-remembers-david-crosby.html

I was very much hoping that they'd been in touch before his passing.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #3603 on: February 09, 2023, 06:35:33 PM »

The genius of Burt Bacharach has left us mere mortals.

DW
garrypbrooks

« Reply #3604 on: February 14, 2023, 09:30:45 PM »

Sad to hear that Kit Hesketh-Harvey, fine singer, humourist and more died a few days ago, aged only 65.
"Kit and the Widow" and "Kit and McConnell" were greats faves at the Ed Fest, lord know who many times they did seasons there.
Good tribute here:
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/kit-hesketh-harvey-dead-age-cause-b2273706.html
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #3605 on: February 19, 2023, 05:07:11 PM »

Hammond wizard Don Shinn. A big influence on Keith Emerson and Tony Kaye who used to regularly check him out at the Marquee and copy his moves, supposedly Kaye stole his trademark one-hand-in-the-air-and-one-on-the-keyboard from him that wound up his bandmates in Yes so much. Played with a huge and varied range of people from Rod Stewart, Dusty Sprigfield, Elkie Brooks (in Dada), Renaissance and James Taylor to Engelbert Humperdink and made a couple of highly collectable solo albums.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3606 on: February 21, 2023, 12:27:16 AM »

Hammond wizard Don Shinn. A big influence on Keith Emerson and Tony Kaye who used to regularly check him out at the Marquee and copy his moves, supposedly Kaye stole his trademark one-hand-in-the-air-and-one-on-the-keyboard from him that wound up his bandmates in Yes so much. Played with a huge and varied range of people from Rod Stewart, Dusty Sprigfield, Elkie Brooks (in Dada), Renaissance and James Taylor to Engelbert Humperdink and made a couple of highly collectable solo albums.
I used to listen to a lot of Don Shinn when I was a developer. For some reason his playing helped me concentrate.
A virtuoso of the keyboard.
RIP  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3607 on: February 21, 2023, 07:46:45 AM »

Bruce Barthol - Country Joe & The Fish/Formerly Fat Harry et al.  All round decent bloke and a long time visitor to these shores.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3608 on: February 21, 2023, 09:19:42 AM »

Bruce Barthol - Country Joe & The Fish/Formerly Fat Harry et al.  All round decent bloke and a long time visitor to these shores.  

RIP Bruce - I have very fond memories of Country Joe McDonald & his band's * remarkable Thursday headline set at Cropredy 2005.

* in a nutshell - Country Joe without Barry "The Fish" Melton
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #3609 on: February 28, 2023, 03:52:09 PM »

Oh no, I have his two solo albums on nice re-issues that came out a few years ago.  Good stuff!

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3610 on: March 01, 2023, 10:41:16 AM »

Bluesman Victor Brox, aged 81.

From The Oldham News:

Victor, described as 'probably one of the most underrated champions of the British Blues scene and its unsung hero', was massively popular in Oldham, having played countless gigs in the town over the years.

He had worked with Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillan of Deep Purple, Charlie Mingus, Memphis Slim, Dr John, Aynsley Dunbar, Graham Bond, Alexis Korner, John Mayall, Country Joe McDonald, Peter Bardens, Keith Moon and Dave Wood.

Victor was reportedly described by Jimi Hendrix and Tina Turner as their favourite white blues singer.

He was also the lead singer of The Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation in which he also played keyboards, and sometimes the cornet.

He was still on the road playing pubs with locally recruited musicians as recently as the Spring of last year.

RIP

Flobbadob!
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #3611 on: March 01, 2023, 01:54:08 PM »

From The Oldham News:

Victor, described as 'probably one of the most underrated champions of the British Blues scene and its unsung hero', was massively popular in Oldham, having played countless gigs in the town over the years.

He had worked with Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillan of Deep Purple, Charlie Mingus, Memphis Slim, Dr John, Aynsley Dunbar, Graham Bond, Alexis Korner, John Mayall, Country Joe McDonald, Peter Bardens, Keith Moon and Dave Wood.

Victor was reportedly described by Jimi Hendrix and Tina Turner as their favourite white blues singer.

He was also the lead singer of The Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation in which he also played keyboards, and sometimes the cornet.

He was still on the road playing pubs with locally recruited musicians as recently as the Spring of last year.

RIP

I heard some of his stuff on Cerys Matthews' Blues Show on Radio 2 last night. His was not a name I was familiar with, I'm afraid, but it was nice to hear his music.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #3612 on: March 01, 2023, 05:20:08 PM »

From The Oldham News:

RIP

I heard some of his stuff on Cerys Matthews' Blues Show on Radio 2 last night. His was not a name I was familiar with, I'm afraid, but it was nice to hear his music.

I read some funny anecdotes by him regarding his time with Nico in Ibiza in the late '50's.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #3613 on: March 01, 2023, 07:53:57 PM »

RIP

Ah, that's sad. He was the uncle of one of my good friends while I was a student in Manchester in the 1980s. He regularly played at Band On The Wall and we would go and see him every time we could. I used to take photos of gigs for our Student Newspaper, and have a collection of Victor Brox playing. I would always give him copies, then see them crop up on the covers of the cassettes he used to sell at gigs.

RIP Victor. You were great!

* IMG_20230301_194237_HDR.jpg (114 KB, 640x506 - viewed 587 times.)

* IMG_20230301_194334_HDR.jpg (250.07 KB, 640x935 - viewed 568 times.)

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Bernie

« Reply #3614 on: March 01, 2023, 08:04:33 PM »

Was it Victor Brox and the night train?
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3615 on: March 01, 2023, 09:14:00 PM »

Victor Brox, the deep-bass voiced High Priest Caiaphas on the original album, Jesus Christ Superstar. R.I.P.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #3616 on: March 02, 2023, 05:56:02 PM »

Wayne Shorter.  Sad

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/02/wayne-shorter-icon-of-jazz-saxophone-dies-aged-89

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3617 on: March 02, 2023, 07:11:06 PM »

Steve Mackey, Pulp bassist, age 56.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3618 on: March 02, 2023, 09:31:31 PM »

So sad.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3619 on: March 03, 2023, 10:14:28 AM »

Steve Mackey, Pulp bassist, age 56.

Grim news, I saw it last night.  He had opted out of Pulp's 2023 shows, and now we know why😔

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 208   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: