TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 20, 2024, 08:08:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 208   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1951872 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3620 on: March 03, 2023, 11:27:02 PM »

Multi-instrumentalist David Lindley, who played with the likes of Jackson Browne, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor, Ry Cooder, Bonnie Raitt, Warren Zevon, Curtis Mayfield, Dolly Parton, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, and Joe Walsh..  He was 78 years of age.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #3621 on: March 04, 2023, 08:16:33 AM »

Multi-instrumentalist David Lindley, who played with the likes of Jackson Browne, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor, Ry Cooder, Bonnie Raitt, Warren Zevon, Curtis Mayfield, Dolly Parton, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, and Joe Walsh..  He was 78 years of age.

Jules

I can't remember which Glastonbury you were at now, 89 or 90, or both, but he was on with Ry Cooder in 1990, and I watched them right up front.
One of those gigs where you don't know any of their stuff, but you're totally into it anyway.
R.I.P Mr Lindley.

Well I never did..
garrypbrooks

« Reply #3622 on: March 04, 2023, 08:57:04 AM »

Jules

That's one hell of a list of artists .... here's a great video of him with Ry Cooder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOEFNZJDXGM

.One of the many YouTube videos that gives me that "I wish I'd been there" feeling
PJayBe

« Reply #3623 on: March 04, 2023, 09:03:43 AM »

Jules

A true musical genius lost.  Discovered him back in college days and all his LPs (then) and CDs (now) get regular spins.  Saw him twice in the '80's at Manchester Apollo with Ry Cooder, a duo gig and a "family" show and he was insanely good.  When getting my LPs signed afterwards, he came across a 12" single he knew nothing about, so spent a couple of minutes writing the details down to make sure he was paid for it!  All whilst Ry and the crew were wating to get back to the hotel!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3624 on: March 04, 2023, 11:02:01 AM »

I can't remember which Glastonbury you were at now, 89 or 90, or both

Neither. '86 and '87.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3625 on: March 04, 2023, 11:02:36 AM »

That's one hell of a list of artists ....

It's far from complete.

Jules

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3626 on: March 04, 2023, 06:50:28 PM »

I have the Blind Boys of Alabama album Spirit of the Century which Lindley guested on, mainly playing slide guitar. The rhythm section was Danny Thompson and Michael Jerome. But I mainly know DL from his contributions to Crosby & Nash albums. Nash posted a nice tribute to him on Instagram saying, "David could play pretty much any instrument you put in front of him with incredible versatility and expression".

On Wikipedia it says -

"The majority of the instruments that Lindley played are string instruments, including violin, acoustic and electric guitar, upright and electric bass, banjo, lap steel guitar, mandolin, hardingfele, bouzouki, cittern, bağlama, gumbus, charango, cümbüş, oud, and zither."

I haven't even heard of some of those. Such a talented musician.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3627 on: March 04, 2023, 09:15:30 PM »

Running on Empty is David Lindley’s magnum opus. RIP
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #3628 on: March 05, 2023, 08:05:11 AM »

I can't remember which Glastonbury you were at now, 89 or 90, or both

Neither. '86 and '87.

Jules

Memory cell failure..The Cure, Van Morrison and Elvis Costello are common to both pairs of years, it was probably that.

Well I never did..
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #3629 on: March 06, 2023, 10:41:39 AM »

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Gary Rossington, aged 71.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3630 on: March 06, 2023, 07:54:43 PM »

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Gary Rossington, aged 71.

R.I.P. Gary Rossington. I was a huge fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd when I was a teenager. When I heard their plane went down in 1977, I distinctly remember thinking "Leonard Skinnard was killed in a plane crash." I had all their albums by 1979 and I eagerly traveled to Denver to see one of their all-hands-on-deck reunion concerts at Red Rocks Amphitheater in 1988. The Rossington Band opened that concert, so Gary pulled double duty on the night. I saw a reconfigured line-up in 1996 ("Sweet Home Alabama" co-composer Ed King was gone, and Rickey Medlocke and Hughie Thomasson had formed a three-guitar army with Rossington). I last saw them in 2016. By this time, Thomasson was gone and bassist Leon Wilkeson and keyboardist Billy Powell had died. Rossington and singer Johnny Van Zandt were the only two left from the 1988 reunion era. By all accounts, for legal reasons, the band cannot continue without Rossington. So R.I.P. Gary and R.I.P. (for real this time) Lynyrd Skynyrd.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3631 on: March 06, 2023, 08:50:33 PM »

By all accounts, for legal reasons, the band cannot continue without Rossington. So R.I.P. Gary and R.I.P. (for real this time) Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Is that right?  Last I heard the tour with ZZ Top is going ahead.  There have been plenty of shows played without Rossington in recent years.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3632 on: March 06, 2023, 09:14:25 PM »

By all accounts, for legal reasons, the band cannot continue without Rossington. So R.I.P. Gary and R.I.P. (for real this time) Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Is that right?  Last I heard the tour with ZZ Top is going ahead.  There have been plenty of shows played without Rossington in recent years.

They did play without him, but he was still living and still a member of the band in absentia. I have read that the deal he reached with the widows of Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines back in 1987/88 granted Rossington the right to use the band's name, logos, etc., provided at least three original members remained. It would seem that the agreement was already abrogated when Leon Wilkeson, and then Billy Powell, died. I guess they modified the agreement back then, or otherwise neglected to enforce it. Maybe money kept flowing to the late members' estates. If they go forward with the 2023 tour, then I reckon they'll call it a tribute to Gary and they will have to pay his estate as well.

I know it's a well-worn topic among classic rock fans, but is it really Lynyrd Skynyrd now that Gary is gone? I was not pleased to attend a Foreigner concert some years back and discover, at curtain, that Mick Jones was not there.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #3633 on: March 07, 2023, 10:29:40 AM »

I know it's a well-worn topic among classic rock fans, but is it really Lynyrd Skynyrd now that Gary is gone? I was not pleased to attend a Foreigner concert some years back and discover, at curtain, that Mick Jones was not there.

It's certainly a much-discussed issue. Old old f**t I know maintains that Fairport shouldn't be Fairport any more as one one of their original members remains. He saw them umpteen times in the early years and maintains that all subsequent  Fairport line ups aren't worth listening to. I beg to disagree!

There's usually a fudge when legal ownership of a band's name, or a show, is an issue - anyone remember "An evening of Yes music with Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford and Howe" or "Who Care What the Show's Called Anyway"?"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3634 on: March 07, 2023, 10:35:56 AM »

It's certainly a much-discussed issue. Old old f**t I know maintains that Fairport shouldn't be Fairport any more as one one of their original members remains. He saw them umpteen times in the early years and maintains that all subsequent  Fairport line ups aren't worth listening to. I beg to disagree!

There's usually a fudge when legal ownership of a band's name, or a show, is an issue - anyone remember "An evening of Yes music with Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford and Howe" or "Who Care What the Show's Called Anyway"?"

Fairport complicated matters by having no original members whatsoever within 5 years of forming Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3635 on: March 07, 2023, 11:31:28 AM »

Fairport complicated matters by having no original members whatsoever within 5 years of forming Grin
Surely the only thing that matters is whether the music is worth listening to or not.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3636 on: March 07, 2023, 12:14:30 PM »

Surely the only thing that matters is whether the music is worth listening to or not.

I should agree with this but I sort of don't.  As examples I cannot take the current Dr Feelgood, no matter how many times people tell me they're decent, seriously.  Gong also.  It just doesn't compute.  Both decent bands, but in my head they shouldn't carry the moniker they do.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3637 on: March 07, 2023, 12:37:56 PM »

I should agree with this but I sort of don't.  As examples I cannot take the current Dr Feelgood, no matter how many times people tell me they're decent, seriously.  Gong also.  It just doesn't compute.  Both decent bands, but in my head they shouldn't carry the moniker they do.

Man? At least Love have got Johnny back.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3638 on: March 07, 2023, 01:25:35 PM »

Another example - Mike Love has the license to use the name "The Beach Boys" for his touring ensemble (for better or worse, but that's another discussion), he's 81. When he finally shuffles off, or hangs up his baseball cap (whichever happens first), I don't think for a moment there won't be a touring "Beach Boys" band, officially licensed by Brother Records Inc. to play 150 + dates a year and pay tribute to sun, fun and surf...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3639 on: March 07, 2023, 01:55:40 PM »

Man? At least Love have got Johnny back.

Man is a tricky one...some would argue Son of Man have more claim to the name than Man (although I'd disagree).  Baby Lemonade have been Love for a lot longer than Echols has been in the band.  What does this prove?  I dunno...

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 208   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: