TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2024, 10:49:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 208   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1951440 times)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #3780 on: July 26, 2023, 09:07:25 PM »

Anyone who can pick up RTE radio 1, john Crendon's excellent nightly show (now on till 10) is dedicated to Sinéad
Lovely and fitting)

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3781 on: July 26, 2023, 10:02:59 PM »

Heart broken.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3782 on: July 26, 2023, 11:32:53 PM »

A sad end for a tortured soul.

If you or anyone you know is contemplating harming themselves, the Samaritans can be contacted confidentially by calling 116 123 in the UK.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3783 on: July 27, 2023, 08:33:13 AM »

Powerful truth from Amanda Palmer:

Sinéad.
If I were a different kind of person I would let it settle and wait a few days to collect my thoughts and do this the right and grown-up way but I think she’d be more proud of me for writing like this….pulled off to the side of the highway writing from my ******g heart because that’s she did, all her life, made from the heart.
I got my first Sinéad record at age 14 - I Do Not Want What I Have Not Got - dubbed from my mentor Anthony’s CD collection onto a 90-minute Maxell XLII blank cassette tape. It changed my life. I wanted the artwork, so I borrowed Anthony’s CD booklet, took it down to the town library xerox machine, copied it, and carefully and lovingly cut it to size for a cassette tape. So I could see her face.
Her face.
I learned every song by heart.
She was fierceness and honestly incarnate.
She howled her heart out so purely that people had no idea what to make of it.
This is a woman who ripped up a picture of the pope on Saturday Night Live (when it had no ”safety delay”) to draw attention to the sex abuse happening in the Catholic Church, after delivering “War” by Bob Marley, a cappella:
Until the philosophy which hold one race
Superior and another Inferior
Is finally
And permanently
Discredited
And abandoned
Everywhere is war.
Twelve days later she took the stage at Madison Square Garden for a Bob Dylan tribute festival and you could barely hear her sing over the boos and jeers from the crowd. She scrapped her planned Dylan song and screamed out “War” again, as the crowd tried to overpower her.
That feeling. Many women have been there. I have been there too, shaking, as it feels like the whole world is trying to shout and drown you out, and put you in your place. Wondering if I am the crazy one. Wondering if this many people are right. Or wrong. Or even real.
She was right about the church. She was very ******g right.
She was right about so many things.
Now that she is dead, I know she’ll be lauded and applauded.
But back then? That night? How do you imagine she felt that night, crawling into bed, having been abused by a crowd of thousands? How would you feel? What would that do to you? Would you care if the world turned around, forty years later, and said: “Sorry about that, you were actually very brave?”
This is a woman who boycotted the Grammys saying she did not want “to be part of a world that measures artistic ability by material success.” This is a woman who refused to play US national anthem before certain concerts. That went down reallll well, too.
She was hated, she was scorned, she was cancelled for being honest over and over again. That SNL move was the beginning of the end of a career in many ways. She never recovered.
Too much, they said. Go away.
She used her voice. She kept on speaking.
She was loud. Being a loud woman is not ******g convenient, for anyone. Ever. Not around here.
She was strikingly beautiful. She shaved her head and gave the middle finger to the beauty standard. She wore combat boots and jeans. She opened her mouth to the max, literally. She did not mumble; she roared. She inspired me into taking power; she inspired so many of my friends. She showed us all another way. There’s this way, too. Go this way, she seemed to be screaming, GO.
Dismissed as crazy. She struggled, and she struggled, and she struggled. She was punished, she was mocked, she was ridiculed.
She retreated and came back time and time again, her roar ragged, her frustration jagged and visible. Painful. You could see it, feel it. We mourned it, me and my friends.
Sinéad? Misunderstood? Which chicken, which egg?
What the world did to Sinéad was death by a thousand cuts. The world lauded her, worshipped her, bought her, sold her, forgave her, claimed her, disavowed her. Over and over in cycles. How could anyone survive that? Like a piece of metal getting bent over and over and over again. It breaks.
She began as a fragile person. A fragile artist. Which is why her songs were so beautiful and powerful to begin with. A raw heart. A mother. Not an idea, not a theoretical. A person.
The world loved the taste of her. The world didn’t know how to digest her. The world spit her out.
She never apologized for ripping up that picture of the pope. When asked later, she said “I’m not sorry I did it. It was brilliant”.
It was.
She was.
Never forget this woman.
Let her memory guide us.
Let them scream at you, but do not stop singing.
Never apologize just to make them happy, to make them go away, to “get along”, to make them accept you.
No, no, no.
Me say War.
Sinéad….rest in world-changing ripped paper phoenix-pieces from the stage, rising and burning into the white night stars. Find peace at last. I hope you forgive us what we could not give you.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3784 on: July 27, 2023, 10:42:45 AM »

Morrissey (someone I usually have little time for) has skewered the reaction to Sinead's death.  I won't copy it here, but I'm sure it's easily available if you are interested.  In a nutshell - "last week, certain people didn't have a good word for her, but this week those same people are calling her iconic and legendary" - which, to be honest, does happen quite often when someone with a public presence dies...

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3785 on: July 27, 2023, 11:51:33 AM »

Morrissey (someone I usually have little time for) has skewered the reaction to Sinead's death.  I won't copy it here, but I'm sure it's easily available if you are interested.  In a nutshell - "last week, certain people didn't have a good word for her, but this week those same people are calling her iconic and legendary" - which, to be honest, does happen quite often when someone with a public presence dies...

Indeed - there's the germ of a very valid point in there.  I just wish it was delivered by somebody other than this.  

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jul/27/morrissey-sinead-oconnor-death

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3786 on: July 27, 2023, 12:15:13 PM »

If you or anyone you know is contemplating harming themselves, the Samaritans can be contacted confidentially by calling 116 123 in the UK.

Indeed, but just to point out the cause of death itself has not yet been identified, for Sinead O’Connor.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3787 on: July 27, 2023, 02:34:26 PM »

This was equally well put on Not The Nine O'clock News many moons ago when a politician died while being interviewed

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3788 on: July 27, 2023, 04:04:50 PM »

Which politician?

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #3789 on: July 27, 2023, 06:36:11 PM »

Powerful truth from Amanda Palmer:

Sinéad.
If I were a different kind of person I would let it settle and wait a few days to collect my thoughts and do this the right and grown-up way but I think she’d be more proud of me for writing like this….pulled off to the side of the highway writing from my ******g heart because that’s she did, all her life, made from the heart.
I got my first Sinéad record at age 14 - I Do Not Want What I Have Not Got - dubbed from my mentor Anthony’s CD collection onto a 90-minute Maxell XLII blank cassette tape. It changed my life. I wanted the artwork, so I borrowed Anthony’s CD booklet, took it down to the town library xerox machine, copied it, and carefully and lovingly cut it to size for a cassette tape. So I could see her face.
Her face.
I learned every song by heart.

(opening snippet from the post)

Thank you for sharing this. A really powerful reflection of Sinead and the impact she had on one life and many others. She had an inner sense of truthfulness which led to many confrontaions with the world. I hope she is at peace now and reunited with her son.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3790 on: July 27, 2023, 07:45:33 PM »

Which politician?
It was a sketch featuring an interviewer and a politician, both fictitious.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3791 on: July 27, 2023, 10:36:30 PM »

Aha, thank you.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3792 on: July 27, 2023, 11:25:57 PM »

Indeed, but just to point out the cause of death itself has not yet been identified, for Sinead O’Connor.

Absolutely, But the heavy emphasis on her mental health issues and the Police saying that no suspicious circumstances pertained lead one toward that.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3793 on: July 28, 2023, 03:14:35 AM »

Another Eagle flies away...RIP Randy Meisner...

From the Eagles website :

"The Eagles are sad to report that founding member, bassist, and vocalist, Randy Meisner, passed away last night (July 26) in Los Angeles at age 77, due to complications from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease (COPD).

As the original bass player for the pioneering country-rock group, Poco, Randy was at the forefront of the musical revolution that began in Los Angeles, in the late 1960s.

In 1971, Randy, along with Glenn Frey, Don Henley, and Bernie Leadon, formed the Eagles and contributed to the band's albums, Eagles, Desperado, On The Border, One of These Nights, and Hotel California. He was inducted with the Eagles into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

“Randy was an integral part of the Eagles and instrumental in the early success of the band. His vocal range was astonishing, as is evident on his signature ballad, ‘Take It to the Limit,’” said the Eagles.

Prior to Poco, he was bassist and vocalist with Rick Nelson’s Stone Canyon Band.

Randy was born on March 8, 1946, in Scottsbluff, Nebraska."

StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3794 on: August 01, 2023, 08:56:47 PM »

Francis Monkman of Curved Air and later, Sky, @74. RIP, part of the soundtrack to my youth.

Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #3795 on: August 02, 2023, 08:35:35 AM »

Francis Monkman of Curved Air and later, Sky, @74. RIP, part of the soundtrack to my youth.

Didn't he die in May?

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3796 on: August 02, 2023, 08:39:17 AM »

Didn't he die in May?

So he did...no idea why I picked up on that yesterday...apologies.

StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #3797 on: August 02, 2023, 09:02:41 AM »

Oops, that's weird - it just popped up yesterday  in the obituary section of a certain online news?paper ... then on closer inspection it's dated June '23. Somebody messed up there...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3798 on: August 02, 2023, 09:09:48 AM »

Oops, that's weird - it just popped up yesterday  in the obituary section of a certain online news?paper ... then on closer inspection it's dated June '23. Somebody messed up there...

Maybe it was revised yesterday or something.  Thought I'd seen it online as a new post.  Anyway, I've forgotten most of what happened in May already so forgetting this wasn't exactly news to me  Wink

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3799 on: August 02, 2023, 10:13:58 AM »

Maybe it was revised yesterday or something.  Thought I'd seen it online as a new post.  Anyway, I've forgotten most of what happened in May already so forgetting this wasn't exactly news to me  Wink
I think The Guardian recently printed an obituary.

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 208   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: