TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 28, 2024, 04:36:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2016  (Read 111801 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »

Hang in there Dave, the next album might be an absolute peach, exceeding Liege and Lief in creativity and Full House for excitement! Actually I stopped buying Fairport albums after Nine as later albums left me underwhelmed. However I took a chance with  Myths and Heroes and I really enjoy this album, good songwriting, good musicianship. Not in the same league as the classics but enjoyable nevertheless and an interesting piece of work.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »

I know I probably shouldn't be on this site anymore.......

Surely loving 60s and 70s Fairport is good enough, no?

Jules

Thanks Jules. Nice thought but possibly not.

Why do you say that? I think there are probably more TAWers in that category than not.

Really? Thanks never thought of it like that.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2016, 11:59:34 PM »

Just got back from the concert at St David's Hall, Cardiff. Thoroughly enjoyable evening with a wide variety of songs from the Fairport back catalogue. Roger Davies was OK and seemed like a nice chap, but not really my cup of tea.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2016, 01:58:23 AM »

Just got back from the concert at St David's Hall, Cardiff. Thoroughly enjoyable evening with a wide variety of songs from the Fairport back catalogue. Roger Davies was OK and seemed like a nice chap, but not really my cup of tea.
Nice to see you there Mick. I thought they played well, but the audience was dire - lots of applause but no cheering. Despite FC liking the venue I don't think it suits them - they need somewhere a bit smaller. Valleys clubs are spot-on for them.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »

Nice to see you there Mick. I thought they played well, but the audience was dire - lots of applause but no cheering. Despite FC liking the venue I don't think it suits them - they need somewhere a bit smaller. Valleys clubs are spot-on for them.

Maybe the audience reacted to what they saw and heard?
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »

B rij/ Mick,
We have to accept that the members of Fairport and their audience are ageing.
Their concerts are becoming comfortable , armchair, 'enjoyable' evenings.
No risks, gentle and pleasant.
A very close friend , who died in 2014 , loved Steeleye. We took him to see Steeleye in Brum, Dec, 2012, I think .
He was so disappointed that they lacked, energy, drive etc and the audience were placid. I reported this on this site and got a reply which disagreed and said, 'we almost gave them a standing ovation'. Almost.
A Fairport audience is in a similar place.
I think Steeleye have tried to rekindle their folk rock roots, Wintersmith, etc.
There are bands out there bringing energy to performance, Blackbeards Tea Party, Trad Arrr, Demons, and I see lots of young folk players who bring energy to their audience. ( if Blackbeards are still bringing their level of energy to performance in 50 years time , I will be very surprised.)
Individually Fairports are a tremendous bunch of players, each one an outstanding musician and I sincerely mean that but they have been doing it for a bloody long time. I know the energy it takes me at the age of 64, to play the number of gigs I do. I take my hat off to Fairports for the energy level, commitment and tour programme they maintain. Remember they still travel like a young band, in a van.
So if they  and their audience, have  become a bit gentle, a bit safe, like bathing in warm milk rather than Red Bull, it is the way it is.
Long may their audience enjoy them. May I get one more Cropredy performance to have me down the front for the whole set.
They are a band who has meant a tremendous amount to me but if we have learnt nothing of our musical heroes in the last few weeks, many are ageing into the land of polite applause.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:19:48 AM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2016, 10:14:49 AM »

To be fair, it's a minibus, not a van. Sprawling out amongst the kit in the back of a transit whilst driving hundreds of miles, whilst enjoyable in our youth, is not a pursuit best followed beyond 30.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »

To be fair, it's a minibus, not a van. Sprawling out amongst the kit in the back of a transit whilst driving hundreds of miles, whilst enjoyable in our youth, is not a pursuit best followed beyond 30.

I've heard that they've even got a cassette player in the dashboard.  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2016, 10:39:06 AM »

30 years, and indeed 30 mph in some of the vans I've been in!  Wink

I agree that FC shows these days tend to be "comfortable" - if I were 26 not 62, and seeing them for the first time, I think I'd still enjoy the show, but it would lack a "cutting edge", but that's what I was looking for at that age.  If I want "edge" these days in a live show, well, it'd be Laibach or the latest King Crimson incarnation or Stick Men.  If I want a perfectly enjoyable evening akin to watching a bunch of old friends doing what they do - well - then it's FC for me.

Flobbadob!
Graham B

Loc: Northamptonshire

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »

It was great to see Anna Ryder on stage with Fairport at Warwick Arts Centre on Friday for one number and MOTL. Brought back memories of seeing her as support on the 99 Wintour.
PJayBe

« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2016, 10:51:32 AM »

Strangely I 'd given up on the tours until we were invited along by friends last year. Enjoyed the show far more than I thought I would, and after years of buying the albums out of a sense of duty, there was actually one I quite enjoyed!!! Sad then that this year Burnley has gone and the other local shows are unavailable to us due to prior commitments.

Of course, the next time I go it may be the same old story, and the end of my FC gigging once again!!!!

Philip
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »

Maybe the Fairport concerts are comfortable, pleasant etc but are they really that bad?

Last two times I saw them I really enjoyed myself.

Last time I saw Steeleye with the rather annoying Rock guitar and some songs from Wintersmith I was bored stiff, but, again, matter of taste.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »

I think between 75-77 were the final years when I actually got excited/interested at the prospect of a new release.
It's all too safe and bland IMO.

That Gottle O' Geer was a corker though, wasn't it?   Roll Eyes

Everyone's from somewhere, baby - might as well be here.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2016, 12:22:10 PM »

They weren't bad - far from it. Simon forgot his words once (I know some find this amusing, I don't particularly) but they played really well and the choice of songs was good. Lots from Myths and Heroes as expected but plenty from other eras. Too much mando from Mr Leslie for my liking, but he also played some acoustic and electric guitar, but strangely no violin  Undecided

I feel more sorry for the band when the reaction is flat - a few cheers and whistles makes all the difference!  Shocked  
I wasn't expecting the band to leap around the stage like in "the old days" but I thought the audience could have been a bit more animated. Their loss!

Maybe they were saving their energy for Cropredy....  Tiara

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »

They weren't bad - far from it. Simon forgot his words once (I know some find this amusing, I don't particularly) but they played really well and the choice of songs was good. Lots from Myths and Heroes as expected but plenty from other eras. Too much mando from Mr Leslie for my liking, but he also played some acoustic and electric guitar, but strangely no violin  Undecided

I feel more sorry for the band when the reaction is flat - a few cheers and whistles makes all the difference!  Shocked  
I wasn't expecting the band to leap around the stage like in "the old days" but I thought the audience could have been a bit more animated. Their loss!

I noticed that Chris didn't even have his violin on stage at Southport, which is a disappointment. I agree that the show isn't the most thrilling music around but, as a few people have said, there's nothing wrong with 'enjoyable' especially at their age! As for the audience, be careful what you wish for when it comes to cheers and whistles - the Southport show was marred by some over-enthusiastic drunken cheering not only between songs, but during them too. It's good to show your appreciation, but not to the detriment of the music and other peoples' enjoyment!
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2016, 01:18:54 PM »

30 years, and indeed 30 mph in some of the vans I've been in!  Wink

I agree that FC shows these days tend to be "comfortable" - if I were 26 not 62, and seeing them for the first time, I think I'd still enjoy the show, but it would lack a "cutting edge", but that's what I was looking for at that age.  If I want "edge" these days in a live show, well, it'd be Laibach or the latest King Crimson incarnation or Stick Men.  If I want a perfectly enjoyable evening akin to watching a bunch of old friends doing what they do - well - then it's FC for me.

Exactly , I rest my case.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2016, 01:19:38 PM »

So a minibus isn't a van?
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2016, 01:21:20 PM »

Maybe the Fairport concerts are comfortable, pleasant etc but are they really that bad?

Last two times I saw them I really enjoyed myself.

Last time I saw Steeleye with the rather annoying Rock guitar and some songs from Wintersmith I was bored stiff, but, again, matter of taste.

Never ever said they were bad. Completely the opposite.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »

I noticed that Chris didn't even have his violin on stage at Southport, which is a disappointment. I agree that the show isn't the most thrilling music around but, as a few people have said, there's nothing wrong with 'enjoyable' especially at their age! As for the audience, be careful what you wish for when it comes to cheers and whistles - the Southport show was marred by some over-enthusiastic drunken cheering not only between songs, but during them too. It's good to show your appreciation, but not to the detriment of the music and other peoples' enjoyment!
My pet hate  Angry yes there was none of that thank goodness!

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »

So a minibus isn't a van?
Not according to road fund taxation classes.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: