TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 18, 2024, 06:24:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 976358 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2200 on: September 25, 2024, 08:15:07 AM »

I greatly enjoyed my three concerts in rapid succession: Ray LaMontagne, BEAT, and Burton Cummings. Very different styles of music and different generations of musicians, but all masters of their craft. Here's a great photo with Burton after his show in Arlington (the only appearance in Texas on this long tour). Tonight, Glen Hansard!

Tell me about BEAT...

BEAT were exhilarating. I am wholly unfamiliar with King Crimson's '80s catalog, but it didn't matter a whit because the awesome musicianship and stagecraft covered the price of admission. Among other things, Adrian Belew taught me that you can play a guitar with a power drill. Steve Vai's fingers fly fast as Fripp's, and he generated otherworldly sounds out of a Fender Stratocaster. Tony Levin is always thrilling to watch and hear, and Danny Carey was a revelation on drums.  Here are a couple of pix I snapped during the encore:

Excellent.  Fab snaps (Cameras - at least Fripp's paranoia on that front isn't ruling the roost any more).  Well, I guess you're more familiar with the material now Wink It's only 3 albums - but what 3 albums.  Two of them, at least, are stone cold classics.  I'm hoping they come to the UK next year but we'll see....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2201 on: September 25, 2024, 09:22:55 AM »

Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve (and an uncredited laptop jockey) at the Ipswich Regent - although he's been coming here so long he calls it The Gaumont. Grin Adopting a strange, folksy American mid-west persona to introduce the songs (at least until he remembered where he was) the staging was imaginative (there were literally microphones left, right and centre) the songs stripped back, reworked, reimagined and radically rearranged, principally around Steve Nieve's exemplary keyboard work.. Yes, he did Oliver's Army and yes, he's rewritten a verse, although London is still full of Arabs and you could be in Palestine. He's in good voice, doubtless fuelled by a bevy of herbal-looking concoctions scattered around the stage.  
Splendid support work (and tri-et vocals on What's So Funny...) from Ian Prowse.

Everyone's from somewhere, baby - might as well be here.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2202 on: September 25, 2024, 04:01:47 PM »

Last night, Glen Hansard (second night) at the Paramount! I scored a front row ticket at the last minute to see Glen again and was not disappointed. His set was slightly different but the energy was still there on night two. The best surprise was guest Dale Watson, a Texas-based country singer Glen and the band met at the Continental Club after their Monday gig. Glen said Dale had no idea who they were, but said "yes" when they invited him to join them at the Paramount Tuesday. He sang "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" with Glen and the opening trio, Trousdale. Here's my front-row snap:

* Hansard Watson Trousdale 9-24-2024.jpg (576.04 KB, 1988x1402 - viewed 579 times.)
PJayBe

« Reply #2203 on: September 26, 2024, 05:46:01 PM »

I just saw Big Big Train at the MK Stables.
Absolutely amazing!

.....and fan-bloody-tastic in Manchester last night too.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #2204 on: September 27, 2024, 09:53:05 AM »

Jim Causley and Miranda Sykes with John Palmer, doing the Sabine Baring-Gould show last night at the Plough, Great Torrington.  A fascinating mixture of songs, stories and excerpts from the great man's writings.  Well worth catching if they are coming anywhere near you.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2205 on: September 27, 2024, 11:03:03 AM »

Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve (and an uncredited laptop jockey) at the Ipswich Regent - although he's been coming here so long he calls it The Gaumont. Grin Adopting a strange, folksy American mid-west persona to introduce the songs (at least until he remembered where he was) the staging was imaginative (there were literally microphones left, right and centre) the songs stripped back, reworked, reimagined and radically rearranged, principally around Steve Nieve's exemplary keyboard work.. Yes, he did Oliver's Army and yes, he's rewritten a verse, although London is still full of Arabs and you could be in Palestine. He's in good voice, doubtless fuelled by a bevy of herbal-looking concoctions scattered around the stage.  
Splendid support work (and tri-et vocals on What's So Funny...) from Ian Prowse.

As an interesting* adjunct to this, it turns out that my Brother-in-Law was also at the show and reckons it was one of the worst things he's ever had to sit through.  Grin

*OOAA

Everyone's from somewhere, baby - might as well be here.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2206 on: September 27, 2024, 12:56:10 PM »

As an interesting* adjunct to this, it turns out that my Brother-in-Law was also at the show and reckons it was one of the worst things he's ever had to sit through.  Grin

*OOAA

Ha Grin  I think your b-i-l is in the minority opinion here - I've been reading rave reviews all over the shop (and they all big up Prowse too).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PJayBe

« Reply #2207 on: September 27, 2024, 04:10:45 PM »

(and they all big up Prowse too).

.....that's because he's brilliant!!!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2208 on: September 27, 2024, 04:34:03 PM »

Dark star orchestra at Ally Pally Theatre lazt night... Due to transport delays, I missed the first 30 mins, but the rest of the evening more than made up for that. Really excellent musicianship - close yer eyes and it really could have been the Dead themselves. Wonderful to see so many young people really getting into this music, lots of dancing, many were also word perfect. Hope for the future? And if DSO happens to be in Europe next August and is affordable? Cropredy on a Saturday afternoon... perfect.

Roll on the 2nd show this evening...

Flobbadob!
JohnP69

« Reply #2209 on: September 27, 2024, 05:41:14 PM »

Ryley Walker and Henry Parker at York Crescent last Sunday.
Excellent gig!
If you're not familiar with Henry here's "Lammas Fair"

https://youtu.be/43e5Ty0BwO8?si=7zWOIjaFojHYtz3O
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2210 on: September 27, 2024, 08:40:58 PM »

Oh my word, DSO are even better this evening!!! This could well be the most ecstatic gig I've attended!

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2211 on: September 28, 2024, 04:12:38 PM »

Oh my word, DSO are even better this evening!!! This could well be the most ecstatic gig I've attended!

So I hear. m I've got a friend who scored DSO first night 6/10 and second night 10/10

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2212 on: September 29, 2024, 05:02:03 AM »

Just back from volunteering at Hudson West Festival in Jersey City, New Jersey, close to our new apartment. Its a small community affair, held in the auditorium of a dance/art space. Weather today was not great so I felt bad for everyone out in the ‘second stage’ under a tent but all in all people seemed happy. These were the acts I saw-

Adam Falcon + band. Nice groovy blues/soul and good songs

Christine Santelli & Heather Hardy. Apparently their album is getting a lot of press and I can certainly see why. Great harmonies and Heather was especially good on the fiddle, even using a wah wah at times!

Joe Crookston-I have heard the name in singer songwriter circles before but not heard his music. That will change as I thought his songs were really beautifully crafted and the lyrics went deep to the heart. But then he pulled out a lap steel and did some real down and dirty rattlesnake type of music. Also, a nice cover of Galway To Graceland on an Irish style bouzouki.

Speaking of Thompson”s Teddy Thompson & Jenni Muldaur performed a great set of their country duos. Getting into more of this type of classic country sound recently it was a real treat to hear it live. Someone on here recently said they never warmed to Teddy’s voice. I know what they mean and I gave up after a few solo albums but my goodness, they are a great duo.

Finally-Ladino singer Lily Henley. Her voice is powerful, her deep exploration of Ladino songs and culture makes for fascinating stories, but the star is her voice, as well as playing guitar and violin. But justcin case you think thats all she does, she closed with a Gordon Lightfoot song. Definitely a name to keep your eye out for.

I went outside my introverted comfort zone and I’m glad I did! I would change many things if it were me but…no one seemed to be complaining so if it ain’t broke…!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2213 on: September 29, 2024, 08:51:42 AM »

So I hear. m I've got a friend who scored DSO first night 6/10 and second night 10/10

Sounds about right to me.  There's a few clips appearing on Youtube, including one of Friday's encore of "Woodstock" (a la CSNY, rather than the MSC arrangement - which might have been appropriate given the geographical proximity to Fortismere Rd?) followed by Fare Thee Well (not Ripple as per the clip's title!)

Flobbadob!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2214 on: October 06, 2024, 02:19:59 PM »

Martin Stephenson & The Daintees at the the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal last night.

A very enjoyable evening seeing Martin and his latest line-up of the Daintees which includes lead guitarist Gary Dunn and Gary's son on bass guitar. The set included lots of old favourites, especially from Boat to Bolivia, along with his usual rambling anecdotes about everything from being on tour with Aztec Camera to Billy Connolly popping by and scoffing Martin's supply of Kit Kats.

They're in Manchester tonight and have dates in Sunderland and London later in the month

https://daintees.co.uk/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #2215 on: October 08, 2024, 11:14:19 AM »

Having reflected for a few days some random jottings about the Oysters and June T last week.

As a fan of late 80s / 90s Oysters I was a little disappointed at the lack of rockier numbers, no Shouting End of Life for instance - but not to detract from what they did play which was still pretty damn good.

There was a LOT of June Tabor - I had thought of her doing a guest slot of maybe three or four songs but she was front and centre for a lot of the gig. I know she is divisive in FC circles and I have never been a huge fan but her work with the Oysters was great and she was in fine voice thropughout. The energy she gave to the first encore of White Rabbit was just awesome and seemed to surprise the band as well.

Great to have Chopper back for this one swaggering around the stage with his cello - a welcome return.

John Jones is one of folks great front men and chest puffed out like a cockerel he delivered in spades - an obviously emotional night him and the whole band as they played their final gig in Brum.

Two standing ovations from a packed Town Hall, lumps in throats and tear in eyes showed they are going out with a still loyal following and with no discernible lack of fire in their belliies.

It is a shame that now two the bands that made up my folk landscape as a youngster - SoH and the Oysters - are hanging up their boots bit I look forward to seeing what happens next.

DW

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2216 on: October 10, 2024, 01:17:22 PM »

Steve Knightly last night at The Acapela, Pentyrch (near Cardiff). Excellent concert with some old and some new songs. This is only the second time I've seen Steve solo and he didn't disappoint. Some nice in between song chat and a lovely version of 'Santiago' to finish the night. It was also nice to hear that he'd been with Phil Beer the previous day and Phil is still working on his box set!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #2217 on: October 11, 2024, 03:02:23 PM »

we've got Phil Beer playing here next Saturday

https://www.wegottickets.com/event/623618  £17 a ticket plus booking fee if anyone is over this way

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2218 on: October 13, 2024, 03:47:22 PM »

Steeleye Span - Taliesin Theatre, Swansea. Good selection of songs from across the band's long history - finishing with Thomas The Rhymer and encoring with 'That Song', as Maddy called it. Really enjoyable evening, the first time I've seen Athena Octavia on fiddle, very good, too - and she has a decent voice, also. Long may they continue.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
garrypbrooks

« Reply #2219 on: October 14, 2024, 03:19:57 PM »

Three crakers recently: the ever reliable Paul Carrack at Woking Peacocks , whoop-it'up folk rock from .an the Lifeboats at St Edith's nr Sevenoaks, and a fine farewell tour gig by Na-mara at the same venue. Looking forward to an evening with Phil Mazanera at the Stton Sound Lounge and a gig byReg Meuross's Stolen zfrom God at the Corner House, Surbiton, soon
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: