TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 22, 2024, 02:26:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Bargain Bin  (Read 160082 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #380 on: April 23, 2024, 07:02:39 PM »

[quote

You're supposed to tell us when it's at the cheap price, man... Wink

Cheesy
[/quote]

This was a Discogs purchase, so a one-off...not sure that counts, does it?  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #381 on: April 23, 2024, 11:47:08 PM »

Ashley's Guv'nor 4cd box set for £11.26 inc delivery.  I've got a couple of them already but at that price, it seemed churlish to argue...
Why do you want three copies?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2024, 07:32:18 AM »

Ashley's Guv'nor 4cd box set for £11.26 inc delivery.  I've got a couple of them already but at that price, it seemed churlish to argue...

I've got a couple of the individual discs (released separately) already...not the full box sets.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2024, 08:56:28 AM »

I've got a couple of the individual discs (released separately) already...not the full box sets.

I guessed that's what you meant.
As to how many copies of an album you want...well, that's up to the individual.
I have, off the top of my head, eight copies of Liege And Lief - vinyl, pink island label vinyl, misc CD copies with bonus tracks, cassette (yay!), and as part of box sets.
I have twenty copies each of Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here - one of the latter purely because it has a different shot of the burning guy on the sleeve - for much the same reasons as L&L.
I have recently bought additional copies of around 150 CDs I already have, just to play in the car.  
Whatever boats your float.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #384 on: April 24, 2024, 08:58:35 AM »

Whatever boats your float.

Just not in SW Wales, apparently Wink Grin

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #385 on: April 24, 2024, 09:05:13 PM »

[quote

You're supposed to tell us when it's at the cheap price, man... Wink

Cheesy

This was a Discogs purchase, so a one-off...not sure that counts, does it?  Wink
[/quote]

Probably not, but I couldn't resist.... Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #386 on: April 30, 2024, 04:57:53 PM »

It's just arrived.  Even more of a bargain, actually, as it's signed Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #387 on: May 28, 2024, 02:53:39 PM »

Fairport - Off the Screen DVD (Cropredy 2008/2009) for £2 (ok, £5.99 delivered) off Vinted.

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #388 on: August 20, 2024, 06:12:21 PM »

Mega haul today... £1 each for:

Band of Hope: Rhythm & Reds
Capt Beefheart: A carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond
Robin Huw Bowen: Hen Aelwyd/Old Hearth
Charles Mingus: Six Classic Albums (on 4 CDs)
Willie Nelson: Band of Brothers

Flobbadob!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #389 on: August 24, 2024, 10:40:02 AM »

Sort of a bargain, depending on taste.

In my bid to explore the work of Phil Ochs I found a twofer of his first two albums on Ebay packaged with a twofer of the first two Tim Buckley albums. All four albums for £12.

I am entirely unfamiliar with Tim Buckley's work though I of course know his story and his reputation. Unfortunately, after an initial listen, these two albums are for the most part not for me.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #390 on: August 25, 2024, 10:58:01 AM »

Sort of a bargain, depending on taste.

In my bid to explore the work of Phil Ochs I found a twofer of his first two albums on Ebay packaged with a twofer of the first two Tim Buckley albums. All four albums for £12.

I am entirely unfamiliar with Tim Buckley's work though I of course know his story and his reputation. Unfortunately, after an initial listen, these two albums are for the most part not for me.

Tim Buckley albums vary enormously as to style and quality. The debut isn't  the most interesting album. I have a few of his , and really the only one I've found disappointing is Greetings From LA .  Try to hear Happy Sad and Goodbye and Hello. If neither of these grabs you he may not be for you.  
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #391 on: August 25, 2024, 11:32:46 AM »

Tim Buckley albums vary enormously as to style and quality. The debut isn't  the most interesting album. I have a few of his , and really the only one I've found disappointing is Greetings From LA .  Try to hear Happy Sad and Goodbye and Hello. If neither of these grabs you he may not be for you.  

If Gub grabbed a twofer of the first two Tim albums, then he's already heard Goodbye and Hello and it didn't do it for him.

I'm the same - don't really have the Buckley appreciation gene.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #392 on: August 25, 2024, 08:19:57 PM »

If Gub grabbed a twofer of the first two Tim albums, then he's already heard Goodbye and Hello and it didn't do it for him.

Jules

I found Tim Buckley to be, at the same time, difficult and genius. My 'in' was Dream Letter, which to me is an exceptional live album, helped along by the presence of Danny Thompson. My 'out' has been Starsailor which I just cannot get to grips with even though it contains Song To The Siren.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #393 on: August 26, 2024, 08:31:04 AM »

Jules

I found Tim Buckley to be, at the same time, difficult and genius. My 'in' was Dream Letter, which to me is an exceptional live album, helped along by the presence of Danny Thompson. My 'out' has been Starsailor which I just cannot get to grips with even though it contains Song To The Siren.

Cheers

Nick

Starsailor is the one I haven't got to yet. As always, there are some people who say it was his best album. I think it was his last.

My entry point was Lorca, which I heard a long time ago.  Strange really as it's a difficult album and now having heard others I don't think it represents his best work.
Happy Sad is a beautiful and seductive album imo, and Goodbye and Hello is all over the place in terms of style, but way ahead of its time.
I also have Sefronia on CD. I'm undecided about this one- again it's very varied, but not always in a good way  . The CD doesn't do it any favours either.
The 'sex funk'  of Greetings from LA  leaves me unmoved.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #394 on: August 26, 2024, 10:18:01 AM »

My entry point was Lorca, which I heard a long time ago.  Strange really as it's a difficult album and now having heard others I don't think it represents his best work.
Happy Sad is a beautiful and seductive album imo, and Goodbye and Hello is all over the place in terms of style, but way ahead of its time.
I also have Sefronia on CD. I'm undecided about this one- again it's very varied, but not always in a good way  . The CD doesn't do it any favours either.
The 'sex funk'  of Greetings from LA  leaves me unmoved.

I don't think there's anybody on earth who would say 'Lorca' was a representative TB work, but I think it's a great one.  Weird funky cocaine music...what's not to love?

I adore the entire cannon of work...there's something in all of them and at least 3 absolute stone cold classics...

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #395 on: August 26, 2024, 11:27:18 AM »

Weird funky cocaine music...what's not to love?

The cocaine?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
JohnP69

« Reply #396 on: October 20, 2024, 07:58:20 AM »

Jethro Tull - The Broadsword And The Beast - 40th Anniversary Monster Edition

From a market stall that does HMV and Amazon returns

Unsealed but in fine condition

£16
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: