TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 08, 2024, 12:45:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 469488 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1660 on: June 01, 2024, 12:18:27 PM »

A busy few days of gigs coming up.  Richard Thompson in Portsmouth, then Olivia Chaney and the Kimberleys in London.  If the latter are unfamiliar, then have a look at their amazingly inventive video of ‘Tam Lin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-NHeWHr6c

Would love to see Olivia.  Never heard of the Kimberley's so checked that video out.  It's amazing, and beautifully played but (I thought) really strangely sung/paced.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1661 on: June 01, 2024, 04:26:20 PM »

Ticket price inflation is noticeable at every venue I frequent now. Even legacy artists are charging $150-$200 for nosebleed seats at large venues. Seats near the stage retail for $500, and you can't get them at that price because they're already gone when the general onsale begins. This is becoming an expensive hobby.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1662 on: June 03, 2024, 09:32:49 AM »

Well, here's a surprise...

* GPImJ_8WkAAZhDa.jpg (158.25 KB, 1170x1146 - viewed 504 times.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Allen

« Reply #1663 on: June 03, 2024, 09:38:44 AM »

Blimey , always go back to the first album for live material , the Pistols
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1664 on: June 03, 2024, 10:45:35 AM »

Blimey, always go back to the first album for live material, the Pistols

As opposed to...?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1665 on: June 03, 2024, 10:46:39 AM »

Well, here's a surprise...

Had to look up Frank Carter. Is he quite big wiv da yoof?

Jules

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1666 on: June 03, 2024, 11:01:51 AM »

As long as it's a one-off (well, two-off) for a good cause to save the venue, if John doesn't want to do it and the others do, then I don't see any issue with this particular gig. They've billed it transparently and carefully (Frank Carter & Sex Pistols, a bit like Queen + Adam Lambert) so it's clear that this won't be a full Pistols reunion.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1667 on: June 03, 2024, 11:22:07 AM »

As long as it's a one-off (well, two-off) for a good cause to save the venue, if John doesn't want to do it and the others do, then I don't see any issue with this particular gig. They've billed it transparently and carefully (Frank Carter & Sex Pistols, a bit like Queen + Adam Lambert) so it's clear that this won't be a full Pistols reunion.

There's been so much (one-way) vitriol flying around since the court case/tv thing I'd be surprised if Lydon's even been asked.  Why bother - just have some fun and not have to wince every time your singer opens their mouth.  It's heartbreaking what he's become...

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1668 on: June 03, 2024, 11:30:08 AM »

I did notice John Lydon is touring this year.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1669 on: June 03, 2024, 11:40:25 AM »

There's been so much (one-way) vitriol flying around since the court case/tv thing I'd be surprised if Lydon's even been asked.  Why bother - just have some fun and not have to wince every time your singer opens their mouth.  It's heartbreaking what he's become...

What court case? Which TV thing?

As for what he's become - well, yes. But maybe he was always like this, and it just wasn't so apparent when he played the underdog. Clearly the man's a raging narcissist.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1670 on: June 03, 2024, 11:48:32 AM »

What court case? Which TV thing?

As for what he's become - well, yes. But maybe he was always like this, and it just wasn't so apparent when he played the underdog. Clearly the man's a raging narcissist.

Jules

Keep up at the back... Wink

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58303879#:~:text=John%20Lydon%20has%20lost%20a,show%20directed%20by%20Danny%20Boyle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_(miniseries)

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1671 on: June 03, 2024, 12:27:55 PM »

Oh, that thing. OK, thanks.

Jules

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1672 on: June 03, 2024, 03:15:25 PM »

Well, having spent Saturday at a sea shanty festival on Barry Island, singing with two different choirs (very nice, too) I'm looking forward to seeing young Mr Thompson in Cardiff tomorrow.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1673 on: June 03, 2024, 04:09:35 PM »

I did notice John Lydon is touring this year.

Unfortunately, he cancelled his U.S. tour (slow ticket sales or "scheduling issues," who knows?). He was planning to come to our fair city. U.K. dates are still on.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1674 on: June 05, 2024, 07:17:07 PM »

Neil Young, Germania Amphitheater, Austin, who knows when?

The original early May date was scrubbed due to lightning, after the doors had opened and everyone had arrived. It was rescheduled to mid-September. Then, with short notice, it was rescheduled to May 26. I was blissfully unaware of this, at the time. On May 23 or so, Neil postponed all remaining May shows due to unspecified illness. Around May 31 (after the day had passed), I found out about the May 26 rescheduled/postponed date.

As of today, the Austin show is "TBD." There is no further information at Ticketmaster, the venue, Neil's website, or any other source. Strange times in Camp Young. Based on this experience, if I had to predict, he would pull the plug on Austin altogether. I hope the tour is able to continue and that everyone is fit to serve.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1675 on: June 05, 2024, 07:55:02 PM »

Neil Young, Germania Amphitheater, Austin, who knows when?

The original early May date was scrubbed due to lightning, after the doors had opened and everyone had arrived. It was rescheduled to mid-September. Then, with short notice, it was rescheduled to May 26. I was blissfully unaware of this, at the time. On May 23 or so, Neil postponed all remaining May shows due to unspecified illness. Around May 31 (after the day had passed), I found out about the May 26 rescheduled/postponed date.

As of today, the Austin show is "TBD." There is no further information at Ticketmaster, the venue, Neil's website, or any other source. Strange times in Camp Young. Based on this experience, if I had to predict, he would pull the plug on Austin altogether. I hope the tour is able to continue and that everyone is fit to serve.  

The previous few gigs were postponed too. Surprised you only just heard. Rumour has it that someone in sick, and most folks are thinking that it's Billy. Pretty sure it's this rather than Neil going all "eat a peach" on the whole deal.

Jules

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1676 on: June 07, 2024, 04:50:15 PM »

Just booked - Ray LaMontagne/The Secret Sisters, ACL Live, Austin, September 19!

Ray LaMontagne is a brilliant purveyor of original, rootsy, folk-rock. We got one of our favorite Mezz tables, so I'm stoked for this one!
PJayBe

« Reply #1677 on: June 12, 2024, 05:02:53 PM »

Upcoming busy weekend with Mark Thomas's political comedy tomorrow in Otley followed by two nights of classic Marillion with Steve Rothery in Manchester and rounded off by Rory McLeod on Sunday in Southport.....
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1678 on: June 14, 2024, 09:00:02 PM »

Booked to see Lady Nade sings Nina Simone at Settle Victoria Hall on the 5th of October, love the two aspects Lady Nade and the songs of Nina Simone so all will be good.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Peter Allen

« Reply #1679 on: June 19, 2024, 11:08:22 AM »

Tonight it's Katie Spencer as part of the Beverley Folk Festival at the Sun Inn , the oldest

I usually see Katie in the depths of winter , so no change there then
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: