TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 16, 2024, 07:53:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 284054 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1520 on: August 14, 2024, 07:50:27 PM »

There is a very good compilation, There But For Fortune which has most of his best known material.

It only covers the Elektra period though. His finger-pointing political protest songs. Admittedly that's what he's best remembered for, but I reckon he improved immeasurably as an artist on the later A&M recordings.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1521 on: August 14, 2024, 07:53:30 PM »

I have for many years wanted to get into Phil Ochs, having heard covers of his songs by others but it is a bewildering catalogue and I have never really known where to start so I haven't.

I'm a huge Phil Ochs fan. His greatest two albums are Pleasures of the Harbor and Rehearsals for Retirement, both from his more poetic and introspective late 60s period when he recorded for A&M Records. Both are now out of print, but if you see either going for a fair price (in any format) my advice would be to snap them up immediately. Utterly wonderful records.

Jules

Those two seem to have been reissued in 2022 but they are about £15 each on CD which is a little steep for me at the moment. The There But For Fortune compilation is silly money on Amazon. I shall have to do some shopping around.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1522 on: August 14, 2024, 07:58:31 PM »

Those two seem to have been reissued in 2022 but they are about £15 each on CD which is a little steep for me at the moment.

I didn't know that. Be grateful for that much. You should have seen what they were going for before!

Jules

David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1523 on: August 15, 2024, 09:47:00 AM »

Both £14.29 on eBay. Look forward to hearing them!

I have for many years wanted to get into Phil Ochs, having heard covers of his songs by others but it is a bewildering catalogue and I have never really known where to start so I haven't.

I'm a huge Phil Ochs fan. His greatest two albums are Pleasures of the Harbor and Rehearsals for Retirement, both from his more poetic and introspective late 60s period when he recorded for A&M Records. Both are now out of print, but if you see either going for a fair price (in any format) my advice would be to snap them up immediately. Utterly wonderful records.

Jules
iandiddams

« Reply #1524 on: August 15, 2024, 10:10:05 AM »

Right now?

Jack Grace band "What a way to spend a night".

https://www.jackgrace.com/what-a-way

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1525 on: August 22, 2024, 09:12:20 AM »

Pete Atkin :  The Luck of the Draw  (Hillside Music CD, 2023).

It's wonderful Pete is still active.  This is a mixture of  new  songs and retreads of some old favourites.  
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1526 on: August 22, 2024, 02:33:16 PM »

Mentioned by Wayne Stote on a different thread, I'm listening to Lakesongs of Elbid by Albion.
Folk/metal/proggy, and not at all bad, I suspect they would check a few boxes to do well at Cropredy
The guy spanks a mean plank, and as a nod to the guitarists previous employer, someone toots on his flute.

The Dude abides
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1527 on: August 23, 2024, 10:59:06 AM »

Mentioned by Wayne Stote on a different thread, I'm listening to Lakesongs of Elbid by Albion.
Folk/metal/proggy, and not at all bad, I suspect they would check a few boxes to do well at Cropredy
The guy spanks a mean plank, and as a nod to the guitarists previous employer, someone toots on his flute.

Glad you're enjoying them. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's show. Reviews suggest that they're a strong live act.

The support is a band called Adfeilion who describe themselves as "electronic post-folk metal" which sounds interesting, if nothing else.  Smiley
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1528 on: August 23, 2024, 11:28:25 AM »

I've been listening to the free CD from this month's Mojo. I often find these things a bit underwhelming, but this one isn't bad at all. It's called 'Forever Young - the Best of 1974'. Bob Dylan, The Band, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Little Feat Gram Parsons, Can, Robert Wyatt and Roy Harper, to name a few.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1529 on: August 23, 2024, 12:49:18 PM »

I've been listening to the free CD from this month's Mojo. I often find these things a bit underwhelming, but this one isn't bad at all. It's called 'Forever Young - the Best of 1974'. Bob Dylan, The Band, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Little Feat Gram Parsons, Can, Robert Wyatt and Roy Harper, to name a few.

Yes Harper people have been talking about this one.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1530 on: August 24, 2024, 10:53:50 AM »

A game of two halves based on new acquisitions. Firstly two Jethro Tull albums that I was previously unfamiliar with, A Passion Play and War Child (both on their Dolby 5.1 mixes). Much to enjoy on both but I need to listen again.

I have also started my exploration of Phil Ochs. All The News That's Fit To Sing and I Ain't Marching Anymore. Both fine. I know some of these songs from covers by other people. Much of the material is lyrically locked in its time however which is perhaps why it hasn't endured in the way that Dylan's contemporary material has. Followed up with American Troubadour, an anthology of his A&M years. This feels as though it has aged better and will need some repeat listens but what I wasn't expecting was the chamber pop settings of some of these songs. I had anticipated John Wesley Hardingesque folk rock for some reason.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1531 on: August 24, 2024, 12:38:59 PM »

I have also started my exploration of Phil Ochs. All The News That's Fit To Sing and I Ain't Marching Anymore. Both fine. I know some of these songs from covers by other people. Much of the material is lyrically locked in its time however which is perhaps why it hasn't endured in the way that Dylan's contemporary material has. Followed up with American Troubadour, an anthology of his A&M years. This feels as though it has aged better and will need some repeat listens but what I wasn't expecting was the chamber pop settings of some of these songs. I had anticipated John Wesley Hardingesque folk rock for some reason.

That's what I've been trying to tell you. The A&M albums are where it's at.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #1532 on: August 24, 2024, 12:51:35 PM »

Right now  at 12.50 it's New Order soundchecking  in wythenshawe  park, just, down the road from the dream home., Before tonight's performance and they've just started doing Joy Division's " Transmission" followed by " love will tear us apart"😎👍😃🎵

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1533 on: August 24, 2024, 01:10:33 PM »

That's what I've been trying to tell you. The A&M albums are where it's at.

Jules

I'm not wholly convinced by all of it yet. The Crucifixion is quite a trying listen but I need to go through it all a few more times to sort my likes from my dislikes (or at least my like less).
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1534 on: August 24, 2024, 02:35:44 PM »

I'm not wholly convinced by all of it yet. The Crucifixion is quite a trying listen

That's a rare example of the song being defeated by the arrangement. There are live versions which convey the song's quality far better.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #1535 on: August 24, 2024, 07:11:42 PM »

Roisin Murphy’s  bass player rockin these suburbs
Local lad Johnny Marr on at 19.30
Then New Order at 21.00

The Dude abides
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1536 on: August 27, 2024, 07:08:51 PM »

Seth Lakeman's first album The Punch Bowl.

He played Scrumpy's Set at the end of his set at Towersey introducing it as a number dating back to his early days playing with Benji Kirkpatrick and Cormac Byrne who were with him on Sunday night.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1537 on: September 04, 2024, 09:41:10 AM »

Daisy Rickman  :  Howl  (Wyrd Walk LP, orange vinyl, 2024).

If already posted this recently that's  because I'm playing  it often. Very nice album.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1538 on: September 04, 2024, 11:25:45 AM »

Excitable Boy - Warren Zevon, followed by Meet You There - Oysterband.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1539 on: September 05, 2024, 09:40:15 PM »

New recording by Martyn Joseph "Chapel Porth beach" a place we visit every year.

Mothers Pride by Fanny
Far Away People by Reg.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: