TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 16, 2024, 08:01:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 284075 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1540 on: September 05, 2024, 10:10:07 PM »

New recording by Martyn Joseph "Chapel Porth beach" a place we visit every year.

Mothers Pride by Fanny
Far Away People by Reg.

I love that song, Chapel Porth Beach. It was so touching when he sang it to the couple whose story it told, on 21st Century Folk.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1541 on: September 05, 2024, 10:35:57 PM »

New recording by Martyn Joseph "Chapel Porth beach" a place we visit every year.

Mothers Pride by Fanny
Far Away People by Reg.

I love that song, Chapel Porth Beach. It was so touching when he sang it to the couple whose story it told, on 21st Century Folk.

They were trapped in a cave by the tide. We've walked that way many times but always ask the lifeguards how long we've got. I think they may have dozed off.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1542 on: September 07, 2024, 11:16:42 PM »

Listening to Danny and the Champs round out their set while we watch hundreds of bats so and dive over our heads. How're we able to sit out this late into the evening on the Chiltern Hills in September?!

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1543 on: September 08, 2024, 11:11:50 AM »

Listening to Danny and the Champs round out their set while we watch hundreds of bats so and dive over our heads. How're we able to sit out this late into the evening on the Chiltern Hills in September?!

A mate was there too....I'm assuming that question is rhetorical? Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1544 on: September 08, 2024, 12:34:35 PM »

Given how the heavens opened a little while after they finished, I'll go with rhetorical (or just tempting fate!)

Now listening to CDs acquired from Lunatraktors after their somewhat stunning and suitably bonkers set.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1545 on: September 09, 2024, 08:19:28 AM »

Smoke Fairies  :  Carried in Sound ( year seven records, translucent  vinyl LP, 2023).

In spite of owning this and one other SF album, I'm undecided about them.  I do enjoy listening to them. . I'd like the vocals to be clearer. This was also the case when I saw them once in concert.  Terrible sound balance.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1546 on: September 10, 2024, 12:29:01 PM »

I've been working my way through the current (just, I think) Uncut (Jimi on t'cover)

New Nick Cave is exquisite.  I don't even particularly like the bloke (and certainly don't agree with him about loads) but, honestly, it's just jawdroppingly powerful stuff.

New Fontaines DC?  Cue: a million 'best album ever' reviews.  Nah.  Emperor's new clothes.  A couple of highs in its 37 mins but not enough to encourage me to ever listen to it again.

My album of the month (there's a decent article in there about them too) is Norwich's Brown Horse and their debut "Reservoir".  I assume the Americana-centric East Coasters will need no introduction, but I'd never heard of them before.  Best 'music like that' I've heard since early Whiskeytown/Ryan.  Again, barely an original note, but it sort of doesn't matter here - it's a joyful thing and rather excellent.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1547 on: September 11, 2024, 09:40:10 AM »

Totally agree about the new Nick Cave album. Absolutely wonderful, joyous music. Prompted me to get a ticket to see him for the first time.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1548 on: September 11, 2024, 11:49:01 AM »

I'm working my way through Johnnie Walker's 1970's Jukebox from his Sunday show. I've ended up assembling a playlist from my archives and have 448 out of 559 tracks so far.

If anyone has Genesis' version of "Match Of The Day", I'd love to hear it, drop me a PM.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1549 on: September 11, 2024, 12:12:45 PM »

I'm working my way through Johnnie Walker's 1970's Jukebox from his Sunday show. I've ended up assembling a playlist from my archives and have 448 out of 559 tracks so far.

If anyone has Genesis' version of "Match Of The Day", I'd love to hear it, drop me a PM.

It's on YouTube, Andy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCDC5kYtOJ0

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1550 on: September 11, 2024, 12:18:20 PM »

I've done my bit to support the independent book & music shop High Street Books in High Peak who are in danger of having to close down. I found the Fotheringay collection Nothing More for just under £60.

https://highstreetbooksandrecords.com/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1551 on: September 11, 2024, 03:01:31 PM »

It's on YouTube, Andy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCDC5kYtOJ0

Disappointed to discover that they're not covering the actual TV theme.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1552 on: September 11, 2024, 07:30:07 PM »

It is on the Spot the Pigeon EP I think. I have that so let me know if you still need a copy. I have digitalised it but am away at the mo.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1553 on: September 12, 2024, 12:27:23 AM »

It is on the Spot the Pigeon EP I think. I have that so let me know if you still need a copy. I have digitalised it but am away at the mo.
It is. I'll send a PM.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1554 on: September 13, 2024, 09:48:42 AM »

Jefferson Airplane  :  Woodstock- Sunday August  17, 1969 (Real Gone Music/RCA 3LP,  blue sky/white clouds  vinyl, 2024).

This is a joy to hear and to behold (the sleeve and LPs are beautiful).   Almost all of this has never been released officially before.  8am on the Sunday, their performance was postponed  due to weather from the previous evening.  The audience are soaked and tired and the band  are strung out and short of sleep . It's a warts and all recording but under the circumstances  they play amazingly well.

I read the whole Alvin Lee/TYA  performance is getting a release too, for those interested in such.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1555 on: Today at 11:38:33 AM »

In The Dark We Grow - Hannah Sanders & Ben Savage

Wall to wall gorgeousness. The only trouble is that it is a very similar sound to their Winter Union work so it is making me feel Christmassy even though it has nothing to do with the festive season whatsoever.  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: