TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 08, 2024, 12:22:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 279618 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1460 on: June 04, 2024, 10:15:21 AM »

I listened to Raising Hell - 30 Years live at the Empire by TMTCH last week thanks to Jim's post too.  That was actually 10 years ago now, and was a good listen - something of a 'best of' up to then, although it was a bit of a shame that by the end of what was obviously a pretty raucous gig their voices were somewhat shot, and The Green Fields of France in particular suffered.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1461 on: June 04, 2024, 11:26:56 AM »

Nice.

(No, really... great guitarist, imo).

Here, it's an album by PRISMA, a multinational early music group: "In the Streets of London" - subtitled a 17th century musical pub tour.  Trad, Purcell, Playford, Carolan tunes, even a short snippet of Ralph McTell, all played with joy and fun - not at all an academic approach and all the better for it!

Next (inspired by Jim Campbell's recent listening - thanks Jimbo!) it'll be Majestic Grill - the best of The Men They Couldn't Hang.

It's a belting compilation, hope you enjoy it Paul

The Dude abides
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1462 on: June 08, 2024, 03:17:52 PM »

‘Where Are All The Nice Girls?’ by up-and-coming Stiff Records funsters Any Trouble (the Canadian version featuring extra tracks “Growin’ Up” and “The Name of the Game”). Even from this distance it’s clear that the overly frantic playing has missed its mark by a good couple of years, even though some of the songs do bear positive comparisons made at the time to those of Squeeze and Elvis Costello. The next record, ‘Wheels in Motion’ - also produced by John Wood - was better, but it wasn’t until the magisterial ‘Wrong End of the Race’ - featuring rerecorded material from both albums - that they really stamped their mark on pop. Interestingly, given the discussions elsewhere about how musicians manage to make a living, only Clive Gregson is still in full-time musical employment.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1463 on: June 08, 2024, 04:12:04 PM »

‘Where Are All The Nice Girls?’ by up-and-coming Stiff Records funsters Any Trouble (the Canadian version featuring extra tracks “Growin’ Up” and “The Name of the Game”). Even from this distance it’s clear that the overly frantic playing has missed its mark by a good couple of years, even though some of the songs do bear positive comparisons made at the time to those of Squeeze and Elvis Costello. The next record, ‘Wheels in Motion’ - also produced by John Wood - was better, but it wasn’t until the magisterial ‘Wrong End of the Race’ - featuring rerecorded material from both albums - that they really stamped their mark on pop. Interestingly, given the discussions elsewhere about how musicians manage to make a living, only Clive Gregson is still in full-time musical employment.
I presume you are referring to other projects. As to all intents and purposes Clive has retired from regular gigging, I met up with his former PA (an old school friend) at last weeks RT gig. He does do the occasional gig though .

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1464 on: June 08, 2024, 07:42:38 PM »

I presume you are referring to other projects. As to all intents and purposes Clive has retired from regular gigging, I met up with his former PA (an old school friend) at last weeks RT gig. He does do the occasional gig though .

He has an album pending with his new band, The Guilty Men. I actually thought it would be out by now. Clive has gone a bit quiet lately.

As for Any Trouble, I know Clive doesn't like it and blocked a reissue but I enjoy the self titled third album. I agree with Shane though, Wrong End... is their finest hour.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1465 on: June 08, 2024, 08:43:21 PM »

Yes, so he’s not a woodwork teacher or working in B&Q.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1466 on: June 09, 2024, 09:06:12 AM »

Yes, so he’s not a woodwork teacher or working in B&Q.

Like most 70 year olds no doubt.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1467 on: June 09, 2024, 11:07:18 AM »

Kevin Ayers  :  Joy of a Toy  (Esoteric LP, 2024).

Superb. A remaster that actually makes a difference.  
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1468 on: June 10, 2024, 07:24:37 AM »

The two French, Frith, Kaiser, Thompson albums (both being CD reissues with bonus tracks) - only 1 track I don't enjoy (and that's only due to a female opera singer warbling away). Great stuff.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1469 on: June 10, 2024, 08:55:32 AM »

The two French, Frith, Kaiser, Thompson albums (both being CD reissues with bonus tracks) - only 1 track I don't enjoy (and that's only due to a female opera singer warbling away). Great stuff.

They're brilliant albums...warbling operatic singing et al.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1470 on: June 10, 2024, 09:15:25 AM »

I discovered Any Trouble through a friend around the time of The Wrong End Of The Race and really enjoyed them.  Then loved his duo work with Christine Collister and saw the RT band with them in a couple of times as well.  Interestingly said friend shared a train journey with Clive (by chance) around then, and said he was very dismissive of the Any Trouble albums, apart from TWEOFR.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1471 on: June 12, 2024, 10:43:41 AM »

David Bedford, Kevin Ayers and the Whole World:  The Garden of Love  (Voiceprint CD, 1997).

A short avant- garde piece for chamber  and rock musicians.  It caused walkouts apparently.  Worth sitting through for the last few minutes where Kevin sings.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #1472 on: June 12, 2024, 10:48:16 AM »

David Bedford, Kevin Ayers and the Whole World:  The Garden of Love  (Voiceprint CD, 1997).

A short avant- garde piece for chamber  and rock musicians.  It caused walkouts apparently.  Worth sitting through for the last few minutes where Kevin sings.

I must look that up, I'm rather partial to a bit of Kevin Ayres, Joy of a toy is a .....joy
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1473 on: June 12, 2024, 12:11:05 PM »

I must look that up, I'm rather partial to a bit of Kevin Ayres, Joy of a toy is a .....joy

I really tried with Kevin Ayers. Bought his first four albums on CD and preperaed to become an instant fan. But I just didn't get it. I was waiting for great songs, but I didn't seem to hear any.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #1474 on: June 12, 2024, 02:02:37 PM »

I really tried with Kevin Ayers. Bought his first four albums on CD and preperaed to become an instant fan. But I just didn't get it. I was waiting for great songs, but I didn't seem to hear any.

Jules

A bit of an acquired taste I think. I remember seeing Gong and thinking WTF?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1475 on: June 12, 2024, 02:33:49 PM »

A bit of an acquired taste I think. I remember seeing Gong and thinking WTF?

Yeah, well, my thoughts on Gong are quite well known in these parts.  Grin

Jules

Peter Allen

« Reply #1476 on: June 12, 2024, 04:25:47 PM »

Fairport Convention "Live At The L.A. Troubadour"

Love the versions of "Sloth" & "Matty Groves" , Matty is taken at quite a pace and I enjoy Richard's vocals

According to Wikipedia the version of "Poor Will" is not from the Troubadour shows at all (shades of "In Real Time")

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1477 on: June 12, 2024, 05:43:23 PM »

According to Wikipedia the version of "Poor Will" is not from the Troubadour shows at all

Nope. It's the Full House recording that was pulled at the 11th hour, but with circa 1975 Richard & Linda vocals overdubbed. Quite what it was doing on that live album is anyone's guess.

Jules

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1478 on: June 12, 2024, 06:48:15 PM »

Jules

Well done for trying.  If you don't like say the first 5 Kevin Ayers albums, you don't like him.  That's where his best stuff is, imo.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1479 on: June 13, 2024, 08:43:06 AM »

According to Wikipedia the version of "Poor Will" is not from the Troubadour shows at all

Nope. It's the Full House recording that was pulled at the 11th hour, but with circa 1975 Richard & Linda vocals overdubbed. Quite what it was doing on that live album is anyone's guess.

Jules

There's a passable live version of 'Poor Will'  on the Broughton Castle live LP.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: