TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 18, 2024, 09:39:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 294839 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1560 on: September 21, 2024, 04:11:47 PM »

I have a significant birthday coming up next weekend, and although I'm not supposed to know anything about it, apparently 'something' is being planned, though I know few details. However my wife did ask me if I'd like to put together a playlist of music to be played during the event. 

"How long?", I asked. "Oh, about 4 hours worth", she replied. 

Well, I've been through my iTunes picking out some favourites over the last week or so.  When I finished and finally had a look at what I'd chosen, I had got about 14.5 hours worth.  So I thought I'd try to weed it down a bit this morning, and now it's only 13.5 hours...  Smiley

Do you think I'm allowed to lock the doors and make everyone listen to the end?  Or should I just say 'set it on shuffle' and see what comes up in the time available?  Undecided

Hee hee…what about sorting them into decades or ‘eras’ in your life…. and picking your top however-many would be permitted to make the right time,  from each decade/era?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1561 on: September 21, 2024, 04:34:00 PM »

Do you think I'm allowed to lock the doors and make everyone listen to the end? 

Grin Grin Grin

Jules

Just make sure there's some Stockhausen around the 4-hour mark

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1562 on: September 22, 2024, 10:46:11 AM »

My album of the month (there's a decent article in there about them too) is Norwich's Brown Horse and their debut "Reservoir".  I assume the Americana-centric East Coasters will need no introduction, but I'd never heard of them before.  Best 'music like that' I've heard since early Whiskeytown/Ryan.  Again, barely an original note, but it sort of doesn't matter here - it's a joyful thing and rather excellent.

Just heard it and its fab. Greatly influenced by The Band, which cant be bad. The new Bright Eyes just dropped too, a good weekend. What with the footie team scoring twice in the 90th minute to earn a point!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1563 on: September 23, 2024, 08:45:31 AM »

Melanie :  Old Bitch Warrior  (Cleopatra  LP,  green vinyl, Ltd edition of 400,  2024).

This is a part of a truly immense Melanie reissue  programme from Cleopatra Records, an American label. Old Bitch Warrior was released  on CD only in  1995.

This LP reissue, inevitably, sounds digital, but it's still more revealing than the CD, which I have.  The only downside is  you don't get the full tracklisting here, which ran to an hour or so in the digital format.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1564 on: September 23, 2024, 09:34:00 AM »

Do you think I'm allowed to lock the doors and make everyone listen to the end? 

Grin Grin Grin

Jules

Just make sure there's some Stockhausen around the 4-hour mark

I did say these were my favourites...  Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1565 on: September 28, 2024, 05:20:24 PM »

If anyone hears anything better than the new Cure single can they be sure to let me know about it, please...

Warning: not background music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9SVAtMkJM

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1566 on: September 28, 2024, 05:32:05 PM »

If anyone hears anything better than the new Cure single can they be sure to let me know about it, please...

Uh... everything else I've listened to for pleasure ever.

Sorry, never had The Cure gene.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1567 on: September 28, 2024, 11:06:43 PM »

Uh... everything else I've listened to for pleasure ever.

Sorry, never had The Cure gene.

Jules

You and me both. I did try and support them early on because they were from my neck of the woods but I just couldn't get in to it. The Love Cats is one of the most excruciating things I have ever heard.

I will make an exception for Inbetween Days which, by any measure , is a splendid pop song.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1568 on: September 29, 2024, 05:42:29 PM »

Am I listening to the same song as you David?
Alone?
Dullest long intro ever to a dull song, and I don't mind the Cure at all.  Bob 's spent too long in his dungeon😞

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1569 on: September 29, 2024, 06:43:00 PM »

Alone?
Dullest long intro ever to a dull song, and I don't mind the Cure at all.  Bob 's spent too long in his dungeon😞

Wink Grin  You're all wrong - it's a beauty.  Definitely not background music though...so don't treat it as such.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1570 on: September 29, 2024, 07:42:02 PM »

Definitely not background music though

It would be if I got my hands on the remote control.  Grin

Jules

Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #1571 on: September 30, 2024, 12:31:08 AM »

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1572 on: September 30, 2024, 08:41:38 AM »

Alone?

Wink Grin  You're all wrong - it's a beauty.  Definitely not background music though...so don't treat it as such.
I rather like it, maybe more so if the intro were half as long.
Was he being paid by the minute?

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1573 on: September 30, 2024, 09:38:51 AM »

Alone?

I rather like it, maybe more so if the intro were half as long.
Was he being paid by the minute?

I thought it took a long time to get going.  Long for a single, but maybe that's not the point?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1574 on: September 30, 2024, 06:43:54 PM »

Where the hell has listening patience gone?  Everybody wants their little dopamine hit and they want in now... Wink Grin

To be perfectly honest, half of the music I listen to sounds like the intro...and most of that goes on for hours...

Peter Allen

« Reply #1575 on: October 01, 2024, 09:52:35 AM »

Are singles still a thing ? Will someone be working on a "radio edit" so that Bob can get some radio play , as if that were needed to get the attention of Cure fans
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1576 on: October 01, 2024, 10:17:46 AM »

Where the hell has listening patience gone?  Everybody wants their little dopamine hit and they want it now... Wink Grin

To be perfectly honest, half of the music I listen to sounds like the intro...and most of that goes on for hours...

I love a long intro. Happiness Is Easy by Talk Talk is a particularly great one.

And then there's Silver Dream Racer by David Essex...  Grin

Jules

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1577 on: October 04, 2024, 09:09:01 AM »

Greenslade  :  Bedside Manners are Extra  (Esoteric  LP reissue, 2024).

I'm liking most of the  vinyl reissues Esoteric  are putting out.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1578 on: October 10, 2024, 10:37:46 PM »

Yesterday, 2 days before it's official release I got the new Paul Heaton cd, it's yet another masterpiece from the great man, great songs, great choice and Paul has great back up from his hand and Rianne Downey who has stepped into Jacqui Abbot's place.
The lady from DHL dropped off the new Rory Gallagher at the BBC box set this afternoon but I've not listened to it yet.  I tried ripping it but I tunes doesn't recognise it just yet.  I was under the impression it wasn't out for a week or two so I might have to be very patient.😰

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1579 on: October 11, 2024, 09:53:15 AM »

Yesterday, 2 days before it's official release I got the new Paul Heaton cd, it's yet another masterpiece from the great man, great songs, great choice and Paul has great back up from his hand and Rianne Downey who has stepped into Jacqui Abbot's place.
The lady from DHL dropped off the new Rory Gallagher at the BBC box set this afternoon but I've not listened to it yet.  I tried ripping it but I tunes doesn't recognise it just yet.  I was under the impression it wasn't out for a week or two so I might have to be very patient.😰

You can always add all the info into iTunes yourself (and share it with the world) - I have done that for a number of CDs myself over the years - most recently the three Live at Groolloo albums.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: