TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 22, 2024, 02:38:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 296443 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1600 on: October 20, 2024, 11:41:12 AM »

Neil Young’s first, eponymous album. I have never knowingly heard this before.

Much underrated I've always felt - and hugely overshadowed by what followed.  The Loner, The Old Laughing Lady and The Last Trip to Tulsa all stand up to further scrutiny...and much of the rest is decent, I think. Whatdoyareckon?

I liked the first side a great deal. Last Trip to Tulsa, on the other hand, might be one of the worst things I’ve ever heard. Fortunately it was a twofer with Everybody Knows This is Nowhere which - apart from a slightly muddy Running Dry - was quite the palate cleanser. It is quite remarkable how After the Goldrush and Harvest, two of the most anodyne albums in the whole NY canon, were the ones to make his (solo) name. I’m more of a Ditch guy.

Worst things you've ever heard -  Wink Grin now, now.  Interestingly, I share your opinion of Harvest.  I absolutely loathe it (and Harvest Moon).  But see nothing of that at all in After the Goldrish which I think is a stone cold classic.  In general though I like the grungier shite too.  More barn!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1601 on: October 20, 2024, 01:56:00 PM »

Harvest is wonderful. Especially the Nashville cuts. You pair of miserable snobs.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1602 on: October 20, 2024, 09:31:44 PM »

Harvest is wonderful. Especially the Nashville cuts. You pair of miserable snobs.   Grin

Jules

Arf! 😁😅

Everyone's from somewhere, baby - might as well be here.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1603 on: Yesterday at 07:37:01 AM »

Strange,  Harvest should be so divisive.  Is this  a phenomenon ?  Beefheart fans  for instance (im not one) hated  Bluejeans and Moonbeams. It had actual good tunes on it and might hsve appealed to non beefheartians.  
I recall someone a long time ago telling me Whatevers for Us wad the best Joan Armatrading album. But it was the self titled album that really got her a wider audience.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1604 on: Yesterday at 08:43:30 AM »

Strange,  Harvest should be so divisive.

I'll be honest and say I spend several decades thinking I was the only Neil Young fan that didn't have it in their top 3.  Harvest Moon pushed me over the edge though - I think it's a genuinely awful album.  But I am strange so, no offence taken...  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1605 on: Yesterday at 09:51:52 AM »

Of course David. At the end of the day it's subjective.

Fwiw, i like Pink Floyd, but i don't  care if i never hear  Dark Side again.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:06:31 AM by Alan2 » Logged
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1606 on: Yesterday at 08:38:49 PM »

This rather excellent John, Bert & Jacqui recording from '93

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENw3GoCMd2M

Does anybody remember seeing this trio at Broadstairs Folk Festival?  I seem to remember it was in a school or a hall?  I think it would have been sometime around then(ish).  But it would be nice to hone it down exactly.  It was a weird time, I think Jacqui (and maybe Bert) were also doing Pentangle but then this was going on at the same time.  Anyway, it's a great recording.

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: