TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 16, 2024, 08:04:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Boots box set  (Read 39715 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2024, 09:46:40 PM »

See my post slightly up thread.

Ta. Yes, I did scroll up after the fact. It does make you wonder if anyone ever checks these things before they finalise mastering.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2024, 10:08:42 PM »

See my post slightly up thread.

Ta. Yes, I did scroll up after the fact. It does make you wonder if anyone ever checks these things before they finalise mastering.

Jules

According to the sleevenotes (which contain errors by the way) Peggy listened to and approved everything on the box. It is hard to believe that he didn't notice Simon & Swarb singing and speaking like cartoon characters (ok, it is not quite that bad but it is instantly noticeable for anyone who is familiar with their voices).
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2024, 08:54:45 AM »

Well , I picked it up and held it in  local physical  indie shop. It had a  good heft to it and the price was around £144.  I could have  bought it  but I didn't.  I have an unopened  Fairport boxed set from I don't  know how many years ago, and I don't need another.
Given that this new box covers and area  of the groups  history I've never properly  investigated, I think I'd be better  going for a studio album or 2 from that era. Any recommendations folks?

The era the box covers was largely during the period when they had split up, so there weren't many, but as it's Cropredy, it's recreations of line ups from before the era the box covers.

Then you'd get Gladys' Leap, Expletive Delighted, and maybe not live/studio album In Real Time, Red And Gold and The Five Seasons for the end of the period.

Actually, I already have In Real Time, on vinyl, and I rather like it, in spite of its fraudulent Identity.
I would like Gladys Leap, for the sake of 'Hiring  Fair', which i have among other  80s tracks on live recordings i took from Radio 2 broadcasts a long time ago now.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2024, 09:57:09 AM »

Well , I picked it up and held it in  local physical  indie shop. It had a  good heft to it and the price was around £144.  I could have  bought it  but I didn't.  I have an unopened  Fairport boxed set from I don't  know how many years ago, and I don't need another.
Given that this new box covers and area  of the groups  history I've never properly  investigated, I think I'd be better  going for a studio album or 2 from that era. Any recommendations folks?

The era the box covers was largely during the period when they had split up, so there weren't many, but as it's Cropredy, it's recreations of line ups from before the era the box covers.

Then you'd get Gladys' Leap, Expletive Delighted, and maybe not live/studio album In Real Time, Red And Gold and The Five Seasons for the end of the period.

Actually, I already have In Real Time, on vinyl, and I rather like it, in spite of its fraudulent Identity.
I would like Gladys Leap, for the sake of 'Hiring  Fair', which i have among other  80s tracks on live recordings i took from Radio 2 broadcasts a long time ago now.

The standout from Gladys Leap is Honour and Praise which is a classic. On the other hand there is My Feet Are Set For Dancing which is the worst thing in Fairport's entire catalogue, by their own admission.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2024, 01:56:11 PM »

On Facebook, Colin Harper states that these were "supplied by the BBC from a BBC master recording (not part of any of the 80s cassette albums and not an off-air recording). We didn't double check the speed of that chunk of audio for that reason."  I'm kind of incredulous about that, but hey...

I asked if there was any likelihood of a remedy?  He replied: "I'm annoyed that I didn't spot it - people were much younger then and so I wasn't alerted by Simon and Dave's speaking voices. Dave Pegg heard all the mastered audio too and he didn't spot it. I'll make enquiries about the possibility of a corrected disc or download for anyone who asks."

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PJayBe

« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2024, 04:12:54 PM »

Who is the strange disembodied voice saying what sounds like "grammar" at the start of Meet On The Ledge on Disc Eleven?  I've been working through the stuff I don't have and really enjoying, whilst laughing at the errors in the track listings!  The Matty Groves that opens Disc Eleven just makes me smile, almost banishing memories of the banjo version currently being played.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2024, 04:14:06 PM »

Who is the strange disembodied voice saying what sounds like "grammar" at the start of Meet On The Ledge on Disc Eleven?  I've been working through the stuff I don't have and really enjoying, whilst laughing at the errors in the track listings!  The Matty Groves that opens Disc Eleven just makes me smile, almost banishing memories of the banjo version currently being played.

Christ almighty - really?!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2024, 04:33:44 PM »

On Facebook, Colin Harper states that these were "supplied by the BBC from a BBC master recording (not part of any of the 80s cassette albums and not an off-air recording). We didn't double check the speed of that chunk of audio for that reason."  I'm kind of incredulous about that, but hey...

I asked if there was any likelihood of a remedy?  He replied: "I'm annoyed that I didn't spot it - people were much younger then and so I wasn't alerted by Simon and Dave's speaking voices. Dave Pegg heard all the mastered audio too and he didn't spot it. I'll make enquiries about the possibility of a corrected disc or download for anyone who asks."

He has put a lengthy response on Steve Hoffman Forums. I shall say no more as he doesn't seem to be very happy with me. Frankly, I am a little shocked that nobody else has picked up the issues as they were so clear to me even on an initial fairly casual listen. When you are so familiar with how something/someone sounds, you know instantly when they don't sound right.

Incidentally I had noticed that there are problems with track and musician listings in the book too. I mentioned these errors in passing in a post on SHF. He is not very happy about that either.
PJayBe

« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2024, 05:11:41 PM »

He doesn't seem to take criticism very well does he!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2024, 05:31:03 PM »

He has put a lengthy response on Steve Hoffman Forums. I shall say no more as he doesn't seem to be very happy with me. Frankly, I am a little shocked that nobody else has picked up the issues as they were so clear to me even on an initial fairly casual listen. When you are so familiar with how something/someone sounds, you know instantly when they don't sound right.

Incidentally I had noticed that there are problems with track and musician listings in the book too. I mentioned these errors in passing in a post on SHF. He is not very happy about that either.

What is Steve Hoffman Forums?  Can anybody copy and past his response here, or provide a link to it, please?

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2024, 05:32:02 PM »

I'm almost reluctant to get involved as I haven't purchased or heard this set, but... it's £130 !
A significant outlay for most of us, and if there are errors in the book and on the discs, they should certainly be resolved, and arguably shouldn't have occurred in the first place on a £130 box set...

PS I've just been reading the Hoffman forum post - agreed, he's not happy, but does appear to be taking this matter seriously.

Link here : https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/fairport-convention-1980s-live-boxset-due.1202245/page-4
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2024, 06:28:12 PM »

A further update from Colin H on SHF:

"An update: I've had Eroc create a 6% slower version of the Cropredy 1984 tracks and I've sent it to relevant people at both Snapper and in Fairport. This is the worst time of year for FC members to be giving time to anything except learning material for Cropredy (August 8-10), not least because some will be backing Dicky Thompo in his 11th hour performance on Thursday or Friday (Trevor Horn having had to pull out with illness). So if there does need to be a revised disc made available to purchasers, it realistically can't happen ahead of Cropredy. But be assured that if FC members decide there is a timing issue, it will be addressed!"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2024, 06:56:40 PM »

A few more words to the above from Colin on FB:

UPDATE: I've had mastering maestro Eroc create a 6% slower version of the Cropredy 1984 tracks and I've sent it to relevant people at both Snapper and in Fairport. This is the worst time of year for FC members to be giving time to anything except learning material for Cropredy (August 8-10), not least because some will be backing Dicky Thompo in his 11th hour performance on Thursday or Friday (Trevor Horn having had to pull out with illness). So if there does need to be a revised disc made available to purchasers, it realistically can't happen ahead of Cropredy. But be assured that if FC members decide there is a timing issue, it will be addressed. Please all, don't be looping in Simon or DM or whoever here for a running commentary - the matter is in hand!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2024, 07:21:58 PM »

I'm almost reluctant to get involved as I haven't purchased or heard this set, but... it's £130 !
A significant outlay for most of us, and if there are errors in the book and on the discs, they should certainly be resolved, and arguably shouldn't have occurred in the first place on a £130 box set...

PS I've just been reading the Hoffman forum post - agreed, he's not happy, but does appear to be taking this matter seriously.

Link here : https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/fairport-convention-1980s-live-boxset-due.1202245/page-4

Thanks for the link, Dan

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2024, 07:27:53 PM »

It is nice to have a couple of effectively studio recordings of Metal Matty, though I think I prefer the second version on disc 11. There are several excellent, muscular Mattys spread across the set, though I do actually enjoy Banjo Matty too.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2024, 09:02:31 PM »

What is Steve Hoffman Forums?  

I am genuinely shocked that you've never happened upon them.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2024, 09:35:26 PM »

I have just had a fascinating trawl through the BBC's online archives to find Fairport's appearances for the corporation. For anyone interested, the Pebble Mill set included in the box was broadcast on 16 May 1990 at 7.30pm between Junkin's Jokers and Football Special.  Grin
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2024, 10:14:26 PM »

I have just had a fascinating trawl through the BBC's online archives to find Fairport's appearances for the corporation. For anyone interested, the Pebble Mill set included in the box was broadcast on 16 May 1990 at 7.30pm between Junkin's Jokers and Football Special.  Grin

I thought the Pebble Mill shows were broadcast at 1pm, hence Pebble Mill at One. Was there an evening show too?

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2024, 11:09:31 PM »

I thought the Pebble Mill shows were broadcast at 1pm, hence Pebble Mill at One. Was there an evening show too?

Jules

BBC Radio 2 In Concert recorded at Pebble Mill Studios. The studios had both TV and radio facilities. Pebble Mill At One was their most famous show but lots of things were filmed or recorded there until it was demolished about 20 years ago.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_radio_two/1990-05-16#at-19.30
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2024, 09:20:15 AM »

BBC Radio 2 In Concert recorded at Pebble Mill Studios. The studios had both TV and radio facilities. Pebble Mill At One was their most famous show but lots of things were filmed or recorded there until it was demolished about 20 years ago.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_radio_two/1990-05-16#at-19.30

Ah, radio, of course.

Yes, I used to walk past Pebble Mill on my way to work. And then I walked past the rubble where it had been.

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: