TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 16, 2024, 07:54:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Boots box set  (Read 39694 times)
ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2024, 03:57:28 PM »

What is Steve Hoffman Forums?  

I am genuinely shocked that you've never happened upon them.

Jules

Some of us would rather avoid it. Despite the wealth of knowledge, it can be a nasty place full of people who think they know than they do (or exaggerate their careers, such as the name on the masthead...)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2024, 06:36:52 PM »

Some of us would rather avoid it. Despite the wealth of knowledge, it can be a nasty place full of people who think they know than they do (or exaggerate their careers, such as the name on the masthead...)

Well, yeah, but that's a different matter entirely.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2024, 06:41:16 PM »

Jules

You just have to be selective with the threads. Beatles, Dylan and Neil Young threads are generally best avoided. But it is a handy place to get early notice of forthcoming releases and the cheapest place to pick them up. For example I scored a great deal on the forthcoming Neil Young Archives Vol 3 that I would never have known about otherwise and would therefore not have been able to afford it.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2024, 09:27:58 PM »

You just have to be selective with the threads. Beatles, Dylan and Neil Young threads are generally best avoided. But it is a handy place to get early notice of forthcoming releases and the cheapest place to pick them up. For example I scored a great deal on the forthcoming Neil Young Archives Vol 3 that I would never have known about otherwise and would therefore not have been able to afford it.

Kinell, mate, why didn't you tell me about it!!

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2024, 09:47:03 PM »

Kinell, mate, why didn't you tell me about it!!

Jules

Sorry, bit of a hectic few days and I'm not sure how long the deal lasted. It all got a bit complicated. It seemed to work for some people but not others. I was lucky.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2024, 09:44:15 AM »

Jules

It's very good for finding  out mastering details about reissues, i find. What to avoid, what sounds good, what's good remaster, what's  a dog's breakfast.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2024, 12:55:56 PM »

Here we are...

Incidentally, if anyone knows an actual email address for Madfish instead of their stupid online form, do please post it here...

* 453434714_1045914257534960_8870041037566925738_n.jpg (156.92 KB, 1080x1080 - viewed 508 times.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2024, 02:24:10 PM »

Here we are...

Incidentally, if anyone knows an actual email address for Madfish instead of their stupid online form, do please post it here...

Instead of being so defensive, it might have been nice if they had said thanks to the knowledgeable outsider who did pick this up!  Roll Eyes
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2024, 03:11:28 PM »

Here we are...

Instead of being so defensive, it might have been nice if they had said thanks to the knowledgeable outsider who did pick this up!  Roll Eyes

I imagine the last thing they're feeling is thankful...  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2024, 03:19:28 PM »

Presumably Now Be Thankful is not one of the affected tracks?  Grin

(My copy is sitting safely hidden away from me for the next two months until my birthday!  At least, that's what I hope that big parcel I saw arrive is...)

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2024, 10:34:25 AM »

Sloth. Disc Three.

R.T sings 'She has run away.'verse.

Peggy plays bass solo.

Drums kick in.....ye gods.....what a band....

All is quiet.

Here comes Swarb......

I like Sloth.

It's fab.

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2024, 01:07:21 PM »

Sloth. Disc Three.

Peggy plays bass solo.

All is quiet.

Here comes Swarb......

I like Sloth.

It's fab.

Me too. I sometimes play every version I own back to back. There are quite a few. I never get bored.

I have done a repair on the Australian club version from the new box to get rid of the glitch. Not another mastering error. It is a n artifact of the original source tape but would have bothered me on repeated listens.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2024, 01:10:51 PM »

Sloth. Disc Three.

Peggy plays bass solo.

All is quiet.

Here comes Swarb......

I like Sloth.

It's fab.

Me too. I sometimes play every version I own back to back. There are quite a few. I never get bored.

I have done a repair on the Australian club version from the new box to get rid of the glitch. Not another mastering error. It is a n artifact of the original source tape but would have bothered me on repeated listens.

Didn't someone here do a Sloth compilation at one point?  (i.e. a whole selection of Sloths from over the eras)

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2024, 01:44:25 PM »

Sloth. Disc Three.

Peggy plays bass solo.

All is quiet.

Here comes Swarb......

I like Sloth.

It's fab.

Didn't someone here do a Sloth compilation at one point?  (i.e. a whole selection of Sloths from over the eras)

Yes that was me. I have become even more Slothful since then.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2024, 03:47:38 PM »

Personally, if I was doing a boxed set, I'd fix this s**t. It's pretty easy to do once you know how.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2024, 04:01:22 PM »

Personally, if I was doing a boxed set, I'd fix this s**t. It's pretty easy to do once you know how.

Jules

Sticky one this because the original recording is from a cassette that was turned over mid recording. No recording exists of the missing section. My repair involves some sleight of hand. It is true to the structure of the song and derived from the same performance but some people might regard it as inauthentic which I can understand. I have erred on the side of making it listenable but I do get why the compilers did not want to tinker with it. What they have presented is what was originally released on Here Live Tonight.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2024, 05:05:06 PM »

Jules

Sticky one this because the original recording is from a cassette that was turned over mid recording. No recording exists of the missing section. My repair involves some sleight of hand. It is true to the structure of the song and derived from the same performance but some people might regard it as inauthentic which I can understand. I have erred on the side of making it listenable but I do get why the compilers did not want to tinker with it. What they have presented is what was originally released on Here Live Tonight.

Colin's description of why this choice not to correct it was made was convincing to me, at least...

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2024, 05:34:17 PM »

Jules

Colin's description of why this choice not to correct it was made was convincing to me, at least...

Yes, me too and I think it was the right decision. I just personally don't want to listen to it that way but don't want to lose the pleasure of the rest of the performance so I have made it palatable for myself.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2024, 01:28:13 AM »

I finished listening to the first disc, and so far so good. I haven't A-B'd it, but it sounds significantly better than my CD of AT2, based on my memory.

I got chills when I heard the opening of the LITM medley. And Bring 'em Down remains one of my all-time favorite Fairport songs. An epic Trevor Lucas contribution to the canon, and I feel blessed that they turned on the tape recorder for this live version.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2024, 07:44:52 AM »

I finished listening to the first disc, and so far so good. I haven't A-B'd it, but it sounds significantly better than my CD of AT2, based on my memory.

I got chills when I heard the opening of the LITM medley. And Bring 'em Down remains one of my all-time favorite Fairport songs. An epic Trevor Lucas contribution to the canon, and I feel blessed that they turned on the tape recorder for this live version.

If only there would be a release of the full video.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: