TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 08, 2024, 12:43:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Boots box set  (Read 38763 times)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2024, 12:56:19 PM »

I've had a message from Evri about a missed delivery but I think its a scam

I had one of those. I hadn't ordered the box then.

Its good to share experiences like that so people wont get caught out.

Agreed. Mine said 'Our driver couldn't find you'. With a link. Text deleted immediately.

Well I never did..
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2024, 01:36:29 PM »

It has just arrived. A thing of rare beauty.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2024, 01:51:20 PM »

Its arrived

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2024, 05:41:41 PM »

It is indeed a thing of beauty but I don't like the rubber muscles to hold the cds,
Maybe if they had a slight chamfer

The Dude abides
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2024, 06:02:04 PM »

Arrived safely today.

Congratulations and huge thanks to Colin Harper and all involved in producing this wonderful set.

Flobbadob!
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2024, 01:07:55 AM »

It is indeed a thing of beauty but I don't like the rubber muscles to hold the cds,
Maybe if they had a slight chamfer

I quite like t' rubber muscles, but she slapped me in the face and said something about consent.

Back in the real world, mine arrived today and it is a fantastic looking thing.
I'm looking forward to working my way through it.
I'm also pleased it's a DVD in there and not a Bluray, as I don't do those, and I have several in other box sets that I can't use.

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2024, 01:15:09 AM »

Yep, mine arrived too. Left with a neighbour without leaving any sort of card to tell me so I had no idea.   Roll Eyes

Looks gorgeous (the box, not my neighbour) but I doubt if I will get to hear a note until the Olympics are over and then the Tull boxes will be queuing up too.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2024, 08:24:43 AM »

Well , I picked it up and held it in  local physical  indie shop. It had a  good heft to it and the price was around £144.  I could have  bought it  but I didn't.  I have an unopened  Fairport boxed set from I don't  know how many years ago, and I don't need another.
Given that this new box covers and area  of the groups  history I've never properly  investigated, I think I'd be better  going for a studio album or 2 from that era. Any recommendations folks?
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2024, 09:54:59 AM »

Well , I picked it up and held it in  local physical  indie shop. It had a  good heft to it and the price was around £144.  I could have  bought it  but I didn't.  I have an unopened  Fairport boxed set from I don't  know how many years ago, and I don't need another.
Given that this new box covers and area  of the groups  history I've never properly  investigated, I think I'd be better  going for a studio album or 2 from that era. Any recommendations folks?

The era the box covers was largely during the period when they had split up, so there weren't many, but as it's Cropredy, it's recreations of line ups from before the era the box covers.

Then you'd get Gladys' Leap, Expletive Delighted, and maybe not live/studio album In Real Time, Red And Gold and The Five Seasons for the end of the period.

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2024, 12:23:56 PM »

The era the box covers was largely during the period when they had split up, so there weren't many, but as it's Cropredy, it's recreations of line ups from before the era the box covers.

Then you'd get Gladys' Leap, Expletive Delighted, and maybe not live/studio album In Real Time, Red And Gold and The Five Seasons for the end of the period.

And most of the material from those studio albums is better represented by live performances/recordings I would say though I am quite fond of Gladys Leap and The Five Seasons.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2024, 01:03:29 PM »

Yes, I'd agree those two would be the best choices, with some strong cuts on the others - Innstuck and Dark Eyed Molly being my favourites.

Well I never did..
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2024, 04:39:04 PM »

Yes, I'd agree those two would be the best choices, with some strong cuts on the others - Innstuck and Dark Eyed Molly being my favourites.

Dark Eyed Molly is a great track. Lovely fretless bass from Maart (I think?)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2024, 10:16:23 PM »

Contrary to my earlier prediction I have actually found time to have a proper look and listen to some of this today. A couple of thoughts.

Just looking through my Fairport library there seem to be a small number of stray Cropredy recordings from the 80s scattered across the Unconventional and Cropredy Capers sets that are not included here. I'm surprised they were not mopped up for the sake of completeness.

Does anyone else think the 1984 BBC tracks are running slightly fast? Simon and Swarb sound like they are on helium. I haven't played any of the other BBC tracks yet.
PJayBe

« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2024, 09:55:03 AM »

So, is it time to think about a 90's box then.....
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2024, 10:27:02 AM »

Contrary to my earlier prediction I have actually found time to have a proper look and listen to some of this today. A couple of thoughts.

Just looking through my Fairport library there seem to be a small number of stray Cropredy recordings from the 80s scattered across the Unconventional and Cropredy Capers sets that are not included here. I'm surprised they were not mopped up for the sake of completeness.

Does anyone else think the 1984 BBC tracks are running slightly fast? Simon and Swarb sound like they are on helium. I haven't played any of the other BBC tracks yet.

Ok, so after a bit of analysis of the digital files comparing them to other performances of the same songs I can confirm that these tracks are running fast. A reduction of 6% levels them to the same pitch and approximate tempo as the other performances and stops Simon from sounding like Joe Pasquale! This is a bit of a naughty mastering error on a box this lavish and expensive. I am guessing that these tracks are taken from an off air cassette that was running slightly too slow during the recording (I once had a cassette deck that did the same thing) but this really should have been noticed and corrected during the production of the current set.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2024, 10:47:29 AM »

And most of the material from those studio albums is better represented by live performances/recordings I would say though I am quite fond of Gladys Leap and The Five Seasons.

Thanks so much for these recommendations, folks.  I'll have to do some homework as to availability.  Fairport's early catalogue is still available, I think, but I'm not so sure  about the later era(s).
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2024, 11:06:12 AM »

I keep humming and harring about this new box. I've cut down on buying so many boxed sets, because they feel like such an indulgence considering I'm in the autumn of my years. So, be honest, those who have bought and listened to it - is this essential? Do I need it?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2024, 11:30:57 AM »

I keep humming and harring about this new box. I've cut down on buying so many boxed sets, because they feel like such an indulgence considering I'm in the autumn of my years. So, be honest, those who have bought and listened to it - is this essential? Do I need it?

Jules

Do you have the original official boots? If so, this becomes less essential, though it sounds mostly splendid. If not, what you need is a pitch/speed corrected repress of this box.

It has just occurred to me that there may be problems with the other BBC discs too if they are from the same source. I haven't played them yet and probably won't get chance today.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2024, 05:57:59 PM »

what you need is a pitch/speed corrected repress of this box.

There are pitch/speed issues? Oh, that's not good.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2024, 07:34:04 PM »

what you need is a pitch/speed corrected repress of this box.

There are pitch/speed issues? Oh, that's not good.

Jules

See my post slightly up thread.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: