TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 16, 2024, 08:01:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2024  (Read 49425 times)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #380 on: August 14, 2024, 07:50:08 PM »

I visited the festival with my daughter, Rachel. It was her second time - the first being in 1984, at the age of 6months (strangely she can't remember much of it). She enjoyed it, even though the only band she had seen before was Fairport.  

Spooky Men were brilliant, probably my favourites. Not a massive prog fan, but Rick Wakeman was enjoyable, as were Focus. Big Big Train were ok. Baskery, Elles Baily, RT and the 3 piece blues group (Zac something, my mind is frazzled) were all very good. Digance was his usual self, but my only real gripe was Tony Christie. As with Petula Clark in 2017 and Chic last year, I didn't like them when they first appeared and I really don't like them 50 years later.

Anyway, that's my humble opinion.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #381 on: August 15, 2024, 04:07:31 PM »

The Brasenose Fringe has moved the 2025 dates to the same dates as the main festival. This suits me well as I’ve booked a room at the Brasenose for the duration (although I’ll be attending the main festival, nice to be in the village again rather than the Travelodge, and camping puts my back out for weeks!)

i found the sound bleed from the "other stages" onto the main field annoying at times.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #382 on: August 15, 2024, 05:59:12 PM »

The Brasenose Fringe has moved the 2025 dates to the same dates as the main festival. This suits me well as I’ve booked a room at the Brasenose for the duration (although I’ll be attending the main festival, nice to be in the village again rather than the Travelodge, and camping puts my back out for weeks!)

i found the sound bleed from the "other stages" onto the main field annoying at times.

This year was the first time I noticed this, too…I can’t remember which it was,  but there was a very touching song taking place on the main stage and I found the other music intrusive.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #383 on: August 17, 2024, 10:51:13 AM »

YouTube: Fairport's Saturday evening set at Crops 24

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #384 on: August 17, 2024, 11:08:47 AM »

Thanks Andy…I think I was very tired when this was on stage, so I have re-listened on the BBC Sounds programme and found how brilliant it actually was. Look forward to watching this again now I am revived  Smiley
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #385 on: August 17, 2024, 12:30:28 PM »

How fantastic that we can relive some of the best moments, thank you xxx

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #386 on: August 17, 2024, 02:16:05 PM »

Thanks Andy.

Having listened to the live Radio Oxford broadcast, it's great to have the visuals which always make such a big difference to the experience. Smiley
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #387 on: August 17, 2024, 06:50:10 PM »

As someone who wasn’t there I’d love some more reviews of tge bands, favourites etc…..
iandiddams

« Reply #388 on: August 17, 2024, 08:26:23 PM »

For those that enjoyed Elles bailey's set there are four tracks from that set on "BBC Music Introducing - The West" tonight (Saturday 17th) - on bbc sounds for 30 days allegedly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jbrpmr - about 25 minutes in
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #389 on: August 18, 2024, 06:49:47 PM »

There has been a lot of talk about the ageing demographic of the festival, but you have to bear in mind that the village itself has changed over time. There must be far fewer ex-neighbours of ‘the band who helped out with fundraisers’, and far more people who have bought a lovely cottage in the country, only to find people pissing in their driveways at midnight once a year.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #390 on: August 18, 2024, 06:54:10 PM »

There has been a lot of talk about the ageing demographic of the festival, but you have to bear in mind that the village itself has changed over time. There must be far fewer ex-neighbours of ‘the band who helped out with fundraisers’, and far more people who have bought a lovely cottage in the country, only to find people pissing in their driveways at midnight once a year.

If you buy a cottage in a place with a long-running annual event, you must know about it though. It’s also just one week in the year.

Shame to focus on the alleged driveway peeing, as overall the vast majority of people seem very peaceful and respectful at the festival.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #391 on: August 18, 2024, 09:02:20 PM »

If you buy a cottage in a place with a long-running annual event, you must know about it though. It’s also just one week in the year.

Shame to focus on the alleged driveway peeing, as overall the vast majority of people seem very peaceful and respectful at the festival.

Ah, you forget the 1992 Sheep Shaving Riots. Rioters tried to pull the wool over people’s  eyes but it’s never forgotten…..
Sue & Chris

« Reply #392 on: August 19, 2024, 09:41:15 AM »

One thing that I've enjoyed at the last couple of Cropredys is the Friday morning lecture - Roger Dean last year, Joe Boyd this. Really interesting to hear stories from those who were there (although Boyd blotted his copybook early on by reporting a theory about the origins of Morris dancing as fact, which made me wonder about the veracity of the rest of his talk.)

Anyway, these have been a nice way for those who are early into the field to ease into their day. I hope they continue.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #393 on: August 19, 2024, 11:17:13 AM »

One thing that I've enjoyed at the last couple of Cropredys is the Friday morning lecture - Roger Dean last year, Joe Boyd this. Really interesting to hear stories from those who were there (although Boyd blotted his copybook early on by reporting a theory about the origins of Morris dancing as fact, which made me wonder about the veracity of the rest of his talk.)

Anyway, these have been a nice way for those who are early into the field to ease into their day. I hope they continue.

Let's just say that Joe's opinions are strongly held.  There are several opinions presented as facts in White Bicycles which have been well and truly disproved.  It wouldn't surprise me if the new book (which sadly I'm not that interested in tbh) is similar.  But the boy can certainly write which helps one negotiate those 'niggles'...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tasha
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #394 on: August 19, 2024, 01:23:40 PM »

Thought this may be of interest
 Videos of Fairport's set taken from the live screen https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcHWsSa03kfqLoq1XD1mchy_RFuO3Z_n6&si=yXcFVH1zBDQQZZ4o]

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #395 on: August 19, 2024, 05:33:44 PM »

Here's a nice Guardian piece for anybody interested in the book... https://www.theguardian.com/books/article/2024/aug/19/and-the-roots-of-rhythm-remain-a-journey-through-global-music-by-joe-boyd-review-the-proust-of-music?fbclid=IwY2xjawEwUr5leHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHTO_m5HYcJ9e6ueRpnHiHUN4Cydl3gj7P8FFLiNwZDUQoxrEpkazP7jNtw_aem_lKUiPyu4Z-99aXEDnd5jig

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tasha
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #396 on: August 25, 2024, 09:33:47 AM »

Interesting piece in the observer today about the death of small festivals.https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/aug/25/smaller-uk-music-festivals-struggle-to-be-heard-in-crowded-market?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Sue & Chris

« Reply #397 on: August 25, 2024, 10:02:52 AM »

Whilst it's sad and alarming that so many festivals are disappearing (nearly a third gone since 2019, according to the article), maybe that will reduce some of the pressures, for example with the supply chain, on those that remain?
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #398 on: August 25, 2024, 09:41:57 PM »

I was at the wonderful Between the Trees Festival this weekend.
They broke even 3 days before the fest opened……
I shall be there next year…..
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: