TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2024, 05:34:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2024  (Read 49917 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2024, 03:27:51 PM »

Have a fabulous time all! I shall be thinking of you, playing lots of Fairport all week and weekend long, having some nice English ale, and hoping the Rainmaster breaks his streak and you have pleasant, but not hot weather!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
iandiddams

« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2024, 04:42:55 PM »

so - we cannot find the tickets but ticketmaster have cancelled the paper tickets and we have to collect new ones from "the box office"

In ten years of attending the festival the only thing resembling a "box office" I am aware of is the wristband and program selling tent just off williamscott road at the arena entrance at that end.

That seems an unlikely candidate to do much in the way of looking us up etc etc ...   so where else might the "box office" be?  I've looked on the map at

https://www.fairportconvention.com/news_images/e23b2c8a9334f8ed689dfce940362b0b.png

but that deosn't show a "box office" ?

UPDATE:  I've now found a facebook post from last year that says the "Box Office is the hut building by the cricket club." .  I must say ive drunk at the cricket club every year and i cant recall anything vagely like a hut by the cricket club ie the bar ?

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #242 on: August 07, 2024, 04:50:04 PM »

I believe it's in the car park, by the gate to the back packer's field.
Go through the main gate, with the club bar on your right, turn left and it will be ahead of you.

Well I never did..
iandiddams

« Reply #243 on: August 07, 2024, 04:54:51 PM »

I believe it's in the car park, by the gate to the back packer's field.
Go through the main gate, with the club bar on your right, turn left and it will be ahead of you.

thanks!!!
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2024, 05:22:16 PM »

That old familiar feeling of anticipation has just got me….driving up tomorrow morning; no Thursday ticket  this year, so I’ll be at the Brasenose (great lineup for a £10 ticket!), back to hotel for good night’s kip before decamping to my usual spot on the field for Friday/Saturday….bring it on!!!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2024, 11:48:54 PM »

so - we cannot find the tickets but ticketmaster have cancelled the paper tickets and we have to collect new ones from "the box office"

In ten years of attending the festival the only thing resembling a "box office" I am aware of is the wristband and program selling tent just off williamscott road at the arena entrance at that end.

That seems an unlikely candidate to do much in the way of looking us up etc etc ...   so where else might the "box office" be?  I've looked on the map at

https://www.fairportconvention.com/news_images/e23b2c8a9334f8ed689dfce940362b0b.png

but that deosn't show a "box office" ?

UPDATE:  I've now found a facebook post from last year that says the "Box Office is the hut building by the cricket club." .  I must say ive drunk at the cricket club every year and i cant recall anything vagely like a hut by the cricket club ie the bar ?

thats where i got my replaement tickets the year i thoght i had left them at home while  all the time , they were in the bag at the premier inn, Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2024, 08:06:04 AM »

Funny thing about Cropredy weekend. Even though I haven't been for more than a decade I am always there in my head when this weekend rolls around.

For more than 20 years it was my happy place (or one of them). Then my anxiety disorder kicked in (diagnosed 10 years ago) and everything about it started to feel like an ordeal I couldn't survive. The camping, the crowds, the travel, the weather, all of it an unconquerable mountain of stress. I have booked to go once since then, in 2017 but cancelled at the last minute because it triggered a massive panic attack. I have managed one trip to the fringe (to see Clarion & Merry Hell) and attended the warm up last year for the first time but even that was quite challenging.

It is inexplicable to me how my happy place turned into such a source of terror for me.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great time. My sense of relief at not having to be there with you is both enormous and infuriating. But I will be listening live on Saturday night via Radio Oxford and some part of my spirit will be in the field.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2024, 01:13:26 PM »

I have been to every festival from 1988 onwards but I am sitting at home and unbelievingly I am not missing it all, even though I loved last years (Nile Rogers apart). I will be leaving for my youngest's wedding in France on Sunday and could have squeezed something in if the line up was worth it, but it would have been one hell of a rush. I saw RT a few weeks ago , FC in february , Baskery due in November, and Feast of Fiddles a few weeks ago. There is nothing else I will regret missing at all . probably Headsticks at the Fringe but Andrew the singer lives round the corner anyway! I am just wondering how I will feel next year now. I too suffer from anxiety , mainly due to the Thursday morning rush, and could not consider being involved in that again. I much prefer the smaller festivals now.
Have a good time everyone .

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2024, 03:21:23 PM »

The tent has passed its inspection, my contribution to the toast has been tasted - not too unpleasant! - just the car to be packed tomorrow, then I'll be on my way on Saturday morning...

Flobbadob!
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2024, 11:05:09 PM »

I hope anyone on the field today survived the weather.

A late decision to come along for Friday and Saturday. Tickets arrived Tuesday.  Not been since pre-Covid cancellations.

I’m very much looking forward to seeing all of my friends…

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
Adam
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2024, 08:03:07 AM »

Arrived, canoe club breakfast ingested, and programme secured. Interesting comment from Simon:
 “We look forward to presenting another Fairports Cropredy Convention on the second Thursday of August, but we will be watching closely to see if some tweaks may be needed to fit what works in this new climate. As ever, we’ll do what’s right to keep the essence all there and keep it affordable for all”.
 I’ve taken this as a positive statement; however, looking forward to the immediate next two days of music and fun.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2024, 10:12:34 PM »

Arrived, canoe club breakfast ingested, and programme secured. Interesting comment from Simon:
 “We look forward to presenting another Fairports Cropredy Convention on the second Thursday of August, but we will be watching closely to see if some tweaks may be needed to fit what works in this new climate. As ever, we’ll do what’s right to keep the essence all there and keep it affordable for all”.
 I’ve taken this as a positive statement; however, looking forward to the immediate next two days of music and fun.

Back to  2 day fest.
I will be interested to see what effect a ticketed Brase had, particularly with the quality of the Brase lineup.
I live an hour away , fancied a day at the Brase but had no idea where I would park!
Adam
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2024, 10:24:52 PM »

Back to  2 day fest.
I will be interested to see what effect a ticketed Brase had, particularly with the quality of the Brase lineup.
I live an hour away , fancied a day at the Brase but had no idea where I would park!

You could park ‘round the corner’ as it were, at the bottom of Oxhey hill; about a five walk from the Brasenose (I’ve parked there before)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #253 on: August 10, 2024, 05:48:46 AM »

Cheers Adam. Yeah, I used to have a few round the corner parking spots when I just popped down for a day but apparently parking gone crazy with fringe…
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2024, 09:42:49 AM »

Has there been a massive internet black hole over North Oxfordshire? Two days gone of the festival and not a single report. Very frustrating for those of us who can’t be there.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2024, 09:49:02 AM »

Has there been a massive internet black hole over North Oxfordshire? Two days gone of the festival and not a single report. Very frustrating for those of us who can’t be there.

Plenty of reports on social media (FB especially).  That's where the action is.  Apparently.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #256 on: August 10, 2024, 10:35:13 AM »

Fantastic Friday.  

Great day had in the sun yesterday. Highlights were, DeWolf and Spooky Men. But all acts performed their socks off!

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #257 on: August 10, 2024, 11:34:25 AM »

Glad to hear the Spooky Men went down well but one report I read said the writer then went back to their tent as they have no interest in RT at all. I can't help thinking that some people are at the wrong festival.  : Roll Eyes
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2024, 11:46:11 AM »

Glad to hear the Spooky Men went down well but one report I read said the writer then went back to their tent as they have no interest in RT at all. I can't help thinking that some people are at the wrong festival.  : Roll Eyes

I've also seen several reports describing a surprising number of people leaving before Richard.  The audience and the event are being pulled in differing directions.  All things to all people won't carry on working for ever...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2024, 11:58:09 AM »

I've also seen several reports describing a surprising number of people leaving before Richard.  The audience and the event are being pulled in differing directions.  All things to all people won't carry on working for ever...

I really enjoy RT but he is becoming the next Trevor horn or marrilkion in that he is playing too regularly.
It’s been a good festival but to non fairport attendees it’s a shame the same act is headlining Friday and Saturday.
That equates to a lack of variety but it’s still been a decent festival and with a bit more imagination the festival crowd will be even bigger than ever
Added to that there’s always the tours to keep the fairport die hards happy and sat in the warm too
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: