TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2024, 05:05:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2024  (Read 49878 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #340 on: August 12, 2024, 04:44:59 PM »

We haven't been to the Festival since the lockdown, mainly due to the anxiety of being in a field with so many people and the fear of falling over the chairs, much discarded rubbish or ruts in the field.
We went again this year for TRAD arr, the Brasenose Fringe and Cream of the Crop. Absolutely loved Trad Arr and many of the other acts but Really missed being on the main field.
I've now been put on some other medication for my bones and as long as I don't break anything else, will put on my big girl pants and be there again with the rest of you.

See you there xxx

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #341 on: August 12, 2024, 07:04:18 PM »

We are just home from the epic journey (by our standards) to and from Cropredy. Had a wonderful time with relatives and friends from Lancs being there too, it was the icing on the cake!

My faves were Feast of Fiddles, Spooky Men and all the more folky acts.  I had expected Tony Christie to be weak, like some of the legends at Glastonbury…but I had a lovely surprise…he still has a strong, tuneful voice and we enjoyed his set a lot!

Not entertained by JC’s set…I liked him back in the 70s…but since then society has moved on…I could take the jokes about tech, but so much else grated. Especially one joke, which I felt totally inappropriate in the light of the recent events.

To end on a positive…I felt RT’s voice was the best I have heard it since I got into him in the early 90s, we went up front for the first time in ages and enjoyed it. Also, loved seeing and hearing Ralph with Fairport. Wish he had been the special guest, well he was to me anyway.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #342 on: August 13, 2024, 12:24:07 AM »

Just a few brief notes on my impressions of the weekend. If some aren't to your taste, just remember that it's only my opinion, given freely and worth every penny.

Cropredy '24 had a strange vibe to me, a real "fin de siècle" feel about it.

Unusually for me, what I heard of Richard Digance's set was ok, in my opinion.

We enjoyed Kathryn Tickell & Richard Thompson (first half-hour was very good after that, not so much), Spooky Men's Chorale were very good, but sounded rather tired, perhaps as a result of a long tour, of which this was the last gig. I think they're better suited to an indoor venue but we enjoyed them nonetheless. We also enjoyed Baskery, Big Big Train and Ranagri. I mostly won't comment on bands we didn't enjoy, perhaps they were having an off-day, or most likely, I was.

Here's the exception to the above. God knows why Jasper Carrott was there. Yes, he was free, but his routines weren't necessarily worth that much. His digs at dyslexics and those suffering from dementia were ill-judged and out-dated. At least he didn't do "Funky Moped", for which I am grateful. I can't conceive he was the original special guest star.  This was as major a misstep as Petula Clark, IMHO.

Incidentally, I have never seen an audience diminish with such determination as when RT was playing. In a world where people are walking off the field to "Valerie", change is indeed afoot. To be fair it was a very cold evening, but...

Saturday evening's Fairport outing was quite enjoyable, with some old favourites revived for the occasion, but, despite some comments I've heard, that wasn't the best "Sloth" ever. Top 10 maybe. Hearing "Red and Gold" butchered by Ralph McTell (yes I know he wrote it, but...) really made me appreciate just how good Simon's voice is.

Other acts came and went, some quite noisy, but few were impressive to me. I was sad to see Focus, as the last time I saw them was 50 years ago and they were wonderful then (with different personnel, of course).

AJ was a good compère, as he has been for many years now.

Attendance was obviously down for Thursday and Friday, Saturday got quite full, but never near to capacity. A reasonable-sized minority of the audience seemed to leave after Eddi Reader (who I couldn't hear as we were at the bar doing the toast).

Nev Bull's tribute video to Gerry Conway was touching, as was DM's speech about him.  Gerry's departure from FC was never explained, really, with no effusive thanks on the website at the time after 24 years service. The tributes to Gerry were heartfelt, no doubt. I don't think the real story of his departure will ever be told, though.

The technology used for video was absolutely stunning this year and looked as if it had been upgraded. Spooky Men's Chorale were especially well served, the chap in the middle who resembled a tall Rev. Richard Coles was constantly featured as his face was very expressive!
The screens were excellent.

Someone said the lighting was downgraded for cost reasons this year, but if so, it was skilfully done. In 2022, 10CC were lit so badly the members of the band were only featured by pure luck, it seemed.

Wendy hurt her knee, we went to First Aid and they were very helpful. Thank you.

So, will there be changes next year? I expect so. I heard that Saturday-only tickets may or may not survive. Frankly I think they have to, really. It'd be financial madness to stop offering them. IMHO. But the acts have to change. Repeatedly booking bands who were popular in the past is to look to a demographic that's dying out (you know, us!). This incarnation of Cropredy has never just been a folk festival (although it was in the 1980s), so perhaps get some more, younger bands. The louder acts from Saturday afternoon were popular for some, I have no doubt.

I know that financial realities have to be faced and that change will come. I have no idea what will extend the life of this splendid festival for more than a very few years, though.

Finally, never participate in a drinking game with a shot every time Elles Bailey mentions her new album. You'll end up very, very ill.

* goodnight.jpg (362.28 KB, 700x344 - viewed 613 times.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 12:48:53 AM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #343 on: August 13, 2024, 10:14:00 AM »

Nev Bull's tribute video to Gerry Conway was touching, as was DM's speech about him.  Gerry's departure from FC was never explained, really, with no effusive thanks on the website at the time after 24 years service. The tributes to Gerry were heartfelt, no doubt. I don't think the real story of his departure will ever be told, though.

Not sure about what was or wasn't on the website but Simon's online tribute at the time of Gerry's death explained the situation very well I thought - which was that Gerry was a very private person and kept his illness entirely to himself.  So perhaps there wasn't really a story to tell?  Anyway, I've seen the video tribute now and it's lovely.  That hand drum piece that is central to it (Excalibur?) is bloody excellent.

Btw, I'm trying to comprehend your central conclusion about what needs to change - But the acts have to change. Repeatedly booking bands who were popular in the past is to look to a demographic that's dying out (you know, us!) - are you suggesting Cropredy needs to feature all new bands?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #344 on: August 13, 2024, 10:25:49 AM »

Not sure about what was or wasn't on the website but Simon's online tribute at the time of Gerry's death explained the situation very well I thought - which was that Gerry was a very private person and kept his illness entirely to himself.  So perhaps there wasn't really a story to tell?  Anyway, I've seen the video tribute now and it's lovely.  That hand drum piece that is central to it (Excalibur?) is bloody excellent.

Btw, I'm trying to comprehend your central conclusion about what needs to change - But the acts have to change. Repeatedly booking bands who were popular in the past is to look to a demographic that's dying out (you know, us!) - are you suggesting Cropredy needs to feature all new bands?

I can’t answer for what Andy meant, but looking at the festivals which do sell well, including Belladrum up here…( haven’t been yet but have heard from colleagues and watched on telly) they do have some of the more traditional, older, local bands but also some modern, more ‘pop’ acts and some new local acts, too so there is something for everyone…but on more than one stage. But by still limiting to around 20,000ish they are still small enough for the safe, community and family feel. Maybe this is the way to go…but can they afford the initial outlay for this type of line-up?

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #345 on: August 13, 2024, 12:34:13 PM »

To be fair I'm not all that sure I fully comprehend what I mean either, except that Cropredy must change to survive. I'm not suggesting "all new bands" but repeatedly booking the same acts doesn't help get the punters in. There must be a middle way. I've mentioned before that we went to a wedding of 40-year-olds earlier this year and when Cropredy came up in conversation, I was asked what acts were on this year. Blank looks greeted my reply. "Who is Rick Wakeman?" was asked and, of course the answer is "a very popular musician 50 years ago". Top of the bill? Really?

As to hyping up a Special Guest Star whose only appeal seems to have been that he didn't charge a fee, words fail me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 01:03:23 PM by Andy » Logged

iandiddams

« Reply #346 on: August 13, 2024, 01:27:10 PM »

Amen to everything there Andy.

Nuff sed about the "special guest" and i'll leave it there .

WRT acts ...  Ive not been convinced of the "headliners"/"special acts for a while now. They certainly seem to fall into one of

* "tried and tested" bracket which may really mean "here we go again".  Trevor horn as planned this year being an obvious example.
* "everybody" knows them - which really means "everybody over age 50/60"...  eg Madness, Alice Cooper, Level 42, Petula Clark, Chic.  Which have differing levels of "success" shall we say.
* "a bit different" - eg bootleg Beatles (ye gods...), Carrot (ye gods...)

On a personal note the likes of Frank Turner a few years ago was a definite step in the right direction - new enough to be of interest to the under 50s, well proficient to headline. But again, thats a subjective call naturally.

whether these names attract newcomers on the strength of them being on is open to conjecture of course. Whether they generally "land" is open to personal taste of course. And not actually naming them on the line-up cannot attract anybody at all.

But if there is a thought that something is needed to start to attract a new generation of Cropredites, it probably wont be achieved with bands that charted 50 years ago, and covers/tribute bands.
I do appreciate that for a large demographic they like it the way it is of course.

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #347 on: August 13, 2024, 01:54:24 PM »

Frank Turner would be a good start.

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #348 on: August 13, 2024, 01:55:19 PM »

As a child of the 70s (musically...) l- love the emphasis on the 70s. I don't think major change into new yoofy indie stuff would help, but I would suggest a lean into the 80s now...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
iandiddams

« Reply #349 on: August 13, 2024, 02:18:50 PM »

As a child of the 70s (musically...) l- love the emphasis on the 70s. I don't think major change into new yoofy indie stuff would help, but I would suggest a lean into the 80s now...

wasnt that chic ?  :-)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #350 on: August 13, 2024, 02:27:13 PM »

And Trevor Horn too!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
barton cobbler

Loc: Earls Barton ,Northamptonshire

« Reply #351 on: August 13, 2024, 02:28:28 PM »

I see it has been suggested that the "Saturday Only" tickets might be dropped, I think this would be a massive mistake. Thursday and Friday this year were more empty than in previous years and I think there are a couple of reasons for this. In the past we've had Alice Cooper & Brian Wilsons Beach Boys on Thursdays, these acts pull in people who were probably not that interested in the rest of the line up. With all due respect, this years Thursday and Friday headlines wouldn't be classed the same.
   The other reason, I think, is cost. I know that a Saturday ticket was in the region of £80 and a 3 day ticket £170, but for people who are working, buying a 3 day ticket means taking 2 days off work, which for Mr Average, puts another £200 + on the cost of attending. I really think that quite a few thought that although they couldn't afford the 3 day outlay , they would still come for Saturday, and I think it would be a mistake to close that option.

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #352 on: August 13, 2024, 02:36:02 PM »

I see it has been suggested that the "Saturday Only" tickets might be dropped, I think this would be a massive mistake. Thursday and Friday this year were more empty than in previous years and I think there are a couple of reasons for this. In the past we've had Alice Cooper & Brian Wilsons Beach Boys on Thursdays, these acts pull in people who were probably not that interested in the rest of the line up. With all due respect, this years Thursday and Friday headlines wouldn't be classed the same.
   The other reason, I think, is cost. I know that a Saturday ticket was in the region of £80 and a 3 day ticket £170, but for people who are working, buying a 3 day ticket means taking 2 days off work, which for Mr Average, puts another £200 + on the cost of attending. I really think that quite a few thought that although they couldn't afford the 3 day outlay , they would still come for Saturday, and I think it would be a mistake to close that option.

Totally agree…we had never seen the day visitors’ car park as empty as it was on Thur/Fri this year, but it was busy on Saturday. I imagine the Saturday-only would draw quite a few people from the more local areas, who don’t want to use all their Annual Leave up like you describe. It would be a shame to ostracise them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 02:46:10 PM by Lubiloo (Lorna) » Logged
iandiddams

« Reply #353 on: August 13, 2024, 02:53:34 PM »

I see it has been suggested that the "Saturday Only" tickets might be dropped, I think this would be a massive mistake.

such a move could only I suspect lose custom, if only for the reason Barton outlined about the working demographic.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #354 on: August 13, 2024, 03:15:56 PM »

And Trevor Horn too!

Madness, Level 42, Waterboys, Marillion, Levellers, Toyah, Proclaimers, Wonderstuff, Nik Kershaw, Squeeze, UB40, Midge Ure, All About Eve and no doubt more.

Well I never did..
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #355 on: August 13, 2024, 03:16:15 PM »

"Wasn't Chic and T Horne from the 80s?"
Well, Chic were mainly v late 70s..
But that apart, it backs up my point that it's an era that can (edit - and as Mike points out, has.been) seamlessly be increasingly included and would still suit the demographic.
I think also a few different lively jaunty genres such as Bhangra or Cajun/zydeco should fit in nicely...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #356 on: August 13, 2024, 03:36:04 PM »

"Wasn't Chic and T Horne from the 80s?"
Well, Chic were mainly v late 70s..
But that apart, it backs up my point that it's an era that can (edit - and as Mike points out, has.been) seamlessly be increasingly included and would still suit the demographic.
I think also a few different lively jaunty genres such as Bhangra or Cajun/zydeco should fit in nicely...

Nile also does covers of his production work including Diana Ross's Upside Down, Madonna and Bowie's Let's Dance which were very 80's.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #357 on: August 13, 2024, 03:56:28 PM »

Wasn't Frank Turner one of the most divisive artists discussed in recent years?  A real marmiter if ever there was one?  Which sort of proves the point...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #358 on: August 13, 2024, 04:07:10 PM »

Who's going to start the Cropredy 2025 wishlist thread?
iandiddams

« Reply #359 on: August 13, 2024, 04:20:51 PM »

Wasn't Frank Turner one of the most divisive artists discussed in recent years?  A real marmiter if ever there was one?  Which sort of proves the point...

TBH it was "so long ago" I dont remember!!

This year the alleged-comedian-that-shall-not-be-named and Spooky men's chorale seem to have taken that mantle, possibly also elles bailey though more for her obvious nervousness and "blown away" gushiness than for the music  (ive seen her several times now and it was clear she was quite emotional about her appearance and the album launch stuff - she is normally far more down to earth and in full control.)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: