TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2024, 05:31:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2024  (Read 49913 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #360 on: August 13, 2024, 04:24:31 PM »

Some reggae, some celtic folkrock, a dash of rhythm and blues, some trad folk, a poppy/party band...

Flobbadob!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #361 on: August 13, 2024, 05:18:56 PM »

"Wasn't Chic and T Horne from the 80s?"
Well, Chic were mainly v late 70s..
But that apart, it backs up my point that it's an era that can (edit - and as Mike points out, has.been) seamlessly be increasingly included and would still suit the demographic.
I think also a few different lively jaunty genres such as Bhangra or Cajun/zydeco should fit in nicely...

Stephen…Steve Knightlys new band …..Dream in Colours were at the Brase…..Johnny Kalsi giving it large. Wouldn’t surprise me to see them on main stage next yr as they ramp up fest appearances.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #362 on: August 13, 2024, 06:04:17 PM »

My main memory of Frank Turner was the way he held a dwindled but enthusiastic crowd despite horrendous rain. A real trooper (and i don't recall him swearing like one...)

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2024, 07:06:09 PM »

My main memory of Frank Turner was the way he held a dwindled but enthusiastic crowd despite horrendous rain. A real trooper (and i don't recall him swearing like one...)

Strangely, my (possibly mis-)remembering is that the debate on here was about his language, but as I say I'm quite likely to be wrong.  People have been complaining about the odd swear word for a long time...remember Buzzcocks anyone?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2024, 08:36:14 PM »

And of course, I might be as wrong as you over the of haze time, but I think there was a lot of discussion and nervousness about it in the lead-up that didn't really materialise.

iandiddams

« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2024, 10:03:49 PM »

thats quite interesting Steve because I was REALLY looking froward to seeing him, but I was so exhausted i had to go back to the campsite ...  I recall laying in bed listening to him and the next thing I knew it was silent and about 3am and I needed a pee! And I dont recall any rain becasue Im sure it was dry coming backl off the field and I dont recall any rain in the van roof.  then again it was a million years ago now! :-)
StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2024, 10:23:41 PM »

Whatever about the rest, I'm definitely sure about the rain.

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #367 on: August 13, 2024, 10:31:36 PM »

You’re definitely right, it was an absolute deluge while Frank Turner was on!
I saw Turner 3 times in short succession that year. Once as a concert headliner, then on successive weeks, Wickham and Cropredy festivals.
I remember being extremely impressed with how he moderated his language to suit the particular gig. He was comparatively as good as gold at Cropredy!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
iandiddams

« Reply #368 on: August 13, 2024, 10:45:45 PM »

fair enough Stephen - i spent most his set asleep sadly :-)
StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #369 on: August 13, 2024, 11:17:22 PM »

At least you were dry...

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #370 on: August 14, 2024, 09:14:38 AM »

Frank Turner would be a good start.

Wasn't Frank Turner one of the most divisive artists discussed in recent years?  A real marmiter if ever there was one?  Which sort of proves the point...

TBH it was "so long ago" I dont remember!!

This year the alleged-comedian-that-shall-not-be-named and Spooky men's chorale seem to have taken that mantle, possibly also elles bailey though more for her obvious nervousness and "blown away" gushiness than for the music  (ive seen her several times now and it was clear she was quite emotional about her appearance and the album launch stuff - she is normally far more down to earth and in full control.)

Didnt Elles Bailey have a new album out? Wink

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #371 on: August 14, 2024, 09:22:19 AM »

Frank Turner would be a good start.

Wasn't Frank Turner one of the most divisive artists discussed in recent years?  A real marmiter if ever there was one?  Which sort of proves the point...

TBH it was "so long ago" I dont remember!!

This year the alleged-comedian-that-shall-not-be-named and Spooky men's chorale seem to have taken that mantle, possibly also elles bailey though more for her obvious nervousness and "blown away" gushiness than for the music  (ive seen her several times now and it was clear she was quite emotional about her appearance and the album launch stuff - she is normally far more down to earth and in full control.)

Didnt Elles Bailey have a new album out? Wink

I wasn't at Cropredy, and I've heard from various posts that she might've mentioned her new album once or twice  Wink  Grin.

However - if you were appearing on a festival stage in front of thousands of people on the very day your new album was released, you'd mention it a couple of times too, wouldn't you ?

Joking apart, and I have no connection music business-wise to Elles Bailey, no vested interest in plugging her aside from being a fan - her new album is her best yet, well worth checking out...
iandiddams

« Reply #372 on: August 14, 2024, 10:39:15 AM »

Talking of Elles Bailey... did anyone catch the name of her backing vocalist/ guitarist that has her own album coming out soon?

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #373 on: August 14, 2024, 10:49:08 AM »

Talking of Elles Bailey... did anyone catch the name of her backing vocalist/ guitarist that has her own album coming out soon?

Demi Marriner.

PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2025...

« Reply #374 on: August 14, 2024, 11:04:16 AM »

Frank Turner was probably the best set I've ever seen at Cropredy - but even then, the rain defeated us and we had to head back to the campsite partway through. (Only to find that our tent had collapsed under the deluge, and so we slept in the car that night!)

--
Philip
iandiddams

« Reply #375 on: August 14, 2024, 11:09:21 AM »

Demi Marriner.

thanks!!
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #376 on: August 14, 2024, 01:49:53 PM »

The Brasenose Fringe has moved the 2025 dates to the same dates as the main festival. This suits me well as I’ve booked a room at the Brasenose for the duration (although I’ll be attending the main festival, nice to be in the village again rather than the Travelodge, and camping puts my back out for weeks!)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #377 on: August 14, 2024, 02:34:57 PM »

The Brasenose Fringe has moved the 2025 dates to the same dates as the main festival. This suits me well as I’ve booked a room at the Brasenose for the duration (although I’ll be attending the main festival, nice to be in the village again rather than the Travelodge, and camping puts my back out for weeks!)

Are their rooms the right or wrong side of 'how bloody much'?  Wink Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #378 on: August 14, 2024, 03:54:45 PM »

I see it has been suggested that the "Saturday Only" tickets might be dropped, I think this would be a massive mistake. Thursday and Friday this year were more empty than in previous years and I think there are a couple of reasons for this. In the past we've had Alice Cooper & Brian Wilsons Beach Boys on Thursdays, these acts pull in people who were probably not that interested in the rest of the line up. With all due respect, this years Thursday and Friday headlines wouldn't be classed the same.
   The other reason, I think, is cost. I know that a Saturday ticket was in the region of £80 and a 3 day ticket £170, but for people who are working, buying a 3 day ticket means taking 2 days off work, which for Mr Average, puts another £200 + on the cost of attending. I really think that quite a few thought that although they couldn't afford the 3 day outlay , they would still come for Saturday, and I think it would be a mistake to close that option.

I actually agree with this and it was probably pub gossip, the gist being that revenue is being lost by those buying Saturday only tickets.
The obvious compromise is to increase the price of Saturday only tickets to help with the shortfall.
I personally think this will happen and makes economic sense.
It may also make people more inclined to attend all 3 days and purchase a full ticket if the difference is negligible.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #379 on: August 14, 2024, 04:47:21 PM »

Are their rooms the right or wrong side of 'how bloody much'?  Wink Smiley

It’s in the ‘better start saving now’ category…!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: