TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 16, 2024, 08:01:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Says....  (Read 36418 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2024, 11:26:54 PM »

As a slight aside, interesting to see Cambridge Folk Fest advertising hard……

Doesn't it always?

Not usually this late…..
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2024, 08:22:20 PM »

Look we are all getting ancient and not inclined to sit in a field.

That and Fairport seem to have a short memory for the unpaid work here.

Not actually the lads, but the management.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
iandiddams

« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2024, 09:41:48 PM »

If they had the courage to put on a "fire sale" - e.g. as of now, all tickets £100 per person, get the punters in, get it sold out, then I might consider coming. Total fantasy scenario, though...

I'd be royally pissed off if haveing coughed my cash ages ago, which helps cash flow, somebody who left it to the last few weeks could get it at a reduced rate. And that aside all that says is "next year, dont buy tickets when  they go on sale, wait until the last fortnight and grab a bargain..."  next result is much fewer tx sales, bigger panic, possible early cancellation though woeful ticket sales.

Assuming of course there is a 2025, which im beginning to seriously doubt given Simon's message and the general trends of festivals collapsing.
iandiddams

« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2024, 09:49:01 PM »

2) The cost. The elephant in the room. Now, I appreciate as per Simon's statement the cost of everything has gone up stupidly, but a weekend at Cropredy has become very expensive. It was an essential part of my year when tickets were £45-£75 for the weekend, however at today's prices (currently £245 including 3 day camping) it suddenly becomes a serious luxury item.

Many large festivals are indeed that ball park - Bearded Theory set us back a similar amount for example.  Those prices of course reflect the size of the acts playing of course, amount of kit, costs of staging etc etc . Everyone has to make a living and these prices are undoubtably fair.

two weekends ago we went to a 3 day festival, 1000 tickets. two stages a two minute walk (if that) apart. Non stop music 11 hours a day. £4 a pint form the on site brewery. Two of us with campervan - campsite 5 minutes from the arena...  £171 including ticket fee. In a few weeks another similar set up festival and size, 2+CV £225. The bands aren't "as big" - but they are/will be excellent, with their own strong following. And of course the fees etc all reflect that - which is reflected in the cost.

Its easy to see how many would be tempted by such smaller, cheaper festivals.

thats just the way it is.
iandiddams

« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2024, 09:54:30 PM »

How many years now have people been saying they don't go for the acts, but to meet all their friends that have survived the year? That isn't a sustainable business model, in my opinion.

There isn't a "like" button, so LIKE. bang on.  Especially given even in the last few years the number of festivals has increased hugely. Not just mega enormous blockbuster festivals (and I include Croppers in that!) but smaller, bijou and other music specific festivals. There cannot be a weekend between end of may and early September that wouldn't have a choice of several festivals across the country of all genres and sizes. Its a very crowded market all chasing festival crowd and their £££.

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2024, 10:34:34 PM »

2) The cost. The elephant in the room. Now, I appreciate as per Simon's statement the cost of everything has gone up stupidly, but a weekend at Cropredy has become very expensive. It was an essential part of my year when tickets were £45-£75 for the weekend, however at today's prices (currently £245 including 3 day camping) it suddenly becomes a serious luxury item.

Many large festivals are indeed that ball park - Bearded Theory set us back a similar amount for example.  Those prices of course reflect the size of the acts playing of course, amount of kit, costs of staging etc etc . Everyone has to make a living and these prices are undoubtably fair.

two weekends ago we went to a 3 day festival, 1000 tickets. two stages a two minute walk (if that) apart. Non stop music 11 hours a day. £4 a pint form the on site brewery. Two of us with campervan - campsite 5 minutes from the arena...  £171 including ticket fee. In a few weeks another similar set up festival and size, 2+CV £225. The bands aren't "as big" - but they are/will be excellent, with their own strong following. And of course the fees etc all reflect that - which is reflected in the cost.

I have said elsewhere that small fests are my main interest these days , so I’ll try not to be dull and it is a pleasure to be chatting on this site again…..
So . Between the Trees.
1000 people fest and some acts I know and a lot I don’t,
Weekend ticket ( Fri Sat ,Sun ) £150
Thurs ticket , limited to 500 people, £20
Camper van £50
Awning £25
Booking fee £12.50.
Total £257.25
You pays yer money and you take a risk on ‘new to you’ bands.
Incidentally I see Glastonbury is costing £65,000,000 to be put on this year….l.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2024, 11:45:24 PM »

Smiley

I have said elsewhere that small fests are my main interest these days , so I’ll try not to be dull and it is a pleasure to be chatting on this site again…..
So . Between the Trees.
1000 people fest and some acts I know and a lot I don’t,
Weekend ticket ( Fri Sat ,Sun ) £150
Thurs ticket , limited to 500 people, £20
Camper van £50
Awning £25
Booking fee £12.50.
Total £257.25
You pays yer money and you take a risk on ‘new to you’ bands.
Incidentally I see Glastonbury is costing £65,000,000 to be put on this year….
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2024, 11:38:08 AM »

If they had the courage to put on a "fire sale" - e.g. as of now, all tickets £100 per person, get the punters in, get it sold out, then I might consider coming. Total fantasy scenario, though...

I'd be royally pissed off if haveing coughed my cash ages ago, which helps cash flow, somebody who left it to the last few weeks could get it at a reduced rate. And that aside all that says is "next year, dont buy tickets when  they go on sale, wait until the last fortnight and grab a bargain..."  next result is much fewer tx sales, bigger panic, possible early cancellation though woeful ticket sales.

Assuming of course there is a 2025, which im beginning to seriously doubt given Simon's message and the general trends of festivals collapsing.
Pearl Jam London gig prices have apparently been cut drastically to try and get an audience in, with no refunds for those who've already spent £100 or more extra to the current pricing.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2024, 12:13:32 PM »

Incidentally I see Glastonbury is costing £65,000,000 to be put on this year….l.

And I also note that some bands are turning it down because of the awful appearance money they are being offered.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
iandiddams

« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2024, 12:22:44 PM »

Pearl Jam London gig prices have apparently been cut drastically to try and get an audience in, with no refunds for those who've already spent £100 or more extra to the current pricing.

Thoroughly unimpressed.

And as i said earlier all that says to me is "don't buy tickets early next time and wait for a discounted rate". Which then becomes a self defeating circle from the promotion perspective surely.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2024, 12:42:58 PM »

Thoroughly unimpressed.

And as i said earlier all that says to me is "don't buy tickets early next time and wait for a discounted rate". Which then becomes a self defeating circle from the promotion perspective surely.

Exactly this.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2024, 03:17:24 PM »

And I also note that some bands are turning it down because of the awful appearance money they are being offered.

indeed and some on the minor stages have to have purchased a ticket in order to get access to play! Something i hadn't realised until a band I know were unable to play as not all of them had managed to purchase tickets!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
iandiddams

« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2024, 03:34:53 PM »

indeed and some on the minor stages have to have purchased a ticket in order to get access to play! Something i hadn't realised until a band I know were unable to play as not all of them had managed to purchase tickets!

WTAF?!

name and shame !  If known etc)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2024, 07:56:53 PM »

Thoroughly unimpressed.

Exactly this.

How rubbish that would be, to buy tickets then find them being flogged off cheap. Let alone that if someone then couldn’t go, they wouldn’t recoup their costs by selling tickets to trusted people, like we used to on here, if the last ones were being flogged off at cut-prices.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2024, 12:54:45 PM »

For the reasons stated above, this is why my idea of a "fire sale" is, to quote myself, a "total fantasy scenario" - unworkable and unfair.

However, the elephant is still in the room.

Being aware that the cost of goods and services, acts, portaloos, staging, crew, etc. has increased vastly, and that £250 is a ballpark average price for a festival ticket nowadays will not suddenly, magically make that sum of money available to me to be able to afford a ticket !
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2024, 03:07:43 PM »

WTAF?!

name and shame !  If known etc)

Many of the smaller stages are separate from the main Festival and independently run. So apparently unless you’re on the Pyramid Stage or one of the main stages, you have to work out how you’re getting in even if you have the gig. The Stage was The Rabbit Hole.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2024, 03:37:39 PM »

So lets say in the worst case scenario - by the end of June not enough tickets sold for Cropredy 2024 to be solvent.

What decisions are made:

• Hope that the walk ins push it over the edge

Cancel and refund everyone, '24 is the finale

Take the hit and '24 is the finale

Then if option 2, the least likely I accept but still an option,  what is the impact on Cream of the Crop, Brasenose Fringe etc ... does their insurance cover cancellation of the main festival?

DW

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2024, 05:32:39 PM »

Surely if folks dont like the line up a reduction wont make much difference to attitudes. I wouldnr pay £50 to see say The Kaiser Chiefs but if they reduced it to £25 it would make no difference.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2024, 09:05:55 AM »

No, but if they are wavering about attending because of cost, it might make a difference. Not that, for other reasons, which have been expressed by others, I think that it is a workable solution.  And indeed is more likely to hack off those committed fans who have bought their tickets at full price.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2024, 11:17:18 PM »

No, but if they are wavering about attending because of cost, it might make a difference. Not that, for other reasons, which have been expressed by others, I think that it is a workable solution.  And indeed is more likely to hack off those committed fans who have bought their tickets at full price.

But…..
The costs of producing a fest are fixed …..reducing ticket prices means you may get bums on seats but you may still end up with a deficit!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: