TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 16, 2024, 07:54:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Says....  (Read 36399 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2024, 10:24:34 AM »

Am I alone, in as much as I don't think I have ever knowingly heard anything, clips on the news apart, by Ms Swift?

No, me too Jim.

Add me to the list of the uninitiated.......!!

None of you have had a teenage daughter in the last 15 years or so then, obviously!
I wish !! (not for the wrong reasons), my youngest is 43!! And they are all boys anyway. Mind you , the youngest took his partner to Edinburgh last week to see Taylor.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2024, 01:55:55 PM »

Given the titleof this thread, I'm sure they won't mind me quoting from the horse's mouth today:

"On a different tack, this year has not been without difficulties for music festivals and other outdoor events. As Simon wrote in April, the cost of staging festivals has risen sharply and a number of them have gone to the wall.

So it’s not surprising that we’ve had queries from some of you asking how we’re doing in the current climate. Well, the answer is that Cropredy will go ahead as normal. In the longer term, we are confident that with your support Cropredy will continue for many years to come."

From the email newsletter...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2024, 04:57:03 PM »

That sounds more positive from Simon and Co. My 19 year old daughter saw Taylor Swift on Saturday and loved it. I think that the ticket cost c£80 on the presale, which seems pretty good for a three hr set plus Paramore as support. I also think she’s vey talented, and love the Folklore and Evermore albums. Getting back on topic, I’m going to support a local event and give the Purbeck folk festival a go this year; local to me, good acts that I know maybe half, and looks like a pretty relaxed affair.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2024, 09:24:00 AM »

Sky wants to stage an intervention

https://news.sky.com/story/music-festivals-need-intervention-as-number-of-cancellations-hits-50-13158213?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR39XdFmi1qETm1FTkXP58qkbhH1Y-M91ONsVDaWGPAA649H6fDREIAt8oA_aem_zNMzVMemxwOdsZtuFlTm1w

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2024, 02:35:36 PM »

None of you have had a teenage daughter in the last 15 years or so then, obviously!

Or, indeed, engaged with any source of contemporary pop music since 2009 - she's had 56 top 40 hits since then, including 30 top 10s and 4 number ones. Radio 2 has been regularly playing her for many years now.

It's highly likely that you know a few Taylor Swift songs without realising they're Taylor Swift songs.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2024, 07:45:25 PM »

Or, indeed, engaged with any source of contemporary pop music since 2009

Yes, that is absolutely the case. I genuinely would not recognise a single Taylor Swift song. That is not a criticism/judgement. They have just never got on my radar. I haven't listened to any music based radio since Danny Baker last had a music show, except for very rarely Simon Mayo on Greatest Hits in the car.

I would recognise a couple of Jess Glynne songs but only because she played live before the baseball in London a couple of weeks ago. Name virtually any other chart artist of that period and I wouldn't have a clue, apart from Rag n Bone man who happens to have had a couple of big hits on my birthday. Oh and I believe some bunch of youngsters called The Beatles got to number one last year.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2024, 02:22:20 PM »

Yup I'm with Hendo on this, Paying gigs are like hens teeth and the competition is fierce.
Never have the words "I've got a daytime job, I'm doing alright" made being a gigging player easier.

Speaking of which, have you seen the story doing the rounds again recently regarding Robb Weir from The Tygers of Pan Tang?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/music/news/the-double-life-of-a-65-year-old-rocker-heavy-metal-with-a-side-of-ham/ar-BB1on7SB
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9x00163e9po
I suspect it's behind a paywall, but in the interests of discussion I've snipped some highlights;

"Robb Weir, clad in tight jeans and covered in sweat, leads a double life.

On a recent night at a London club, he launched into a guitar solo like a 1980s British rock hero, aiming the neck of his guitar at the loving crowd, throwing back his head and pretending to unleash a hail of bullets at 200 fans who recall the era when he strutted the big stage.

Days later, Weir was dressed in a waistcoat and tartan tie, serving tea and ham-on-ciabatta sandwiches to passengers on the 13.43 train from Newcastle to Edinburgh.

Weir, 65 years old, is the longtime lead guitarist of the heavy-metal band, Tygers of Pan Tang, known for such high-decibel songs as “Crazy Nights,” “Hellbound” and “Rock ‘N’ Roll Man.”
For the past 20 years, he also has been a train steward. “It’s not very rock ’n’ roll, but it is a pretty concrete way to make a living,” Weir said, “with a great pension.”

The Tyger tune, “Only the Brave,” has streamed 6.5 million times on Spotify. That sounds like a lot. But every million streams brings in only £400, about $510 for the five band members on the recording, Weir said. After expenses, Weir is lucky to take home £100 from a gig, he said.

Weir’s record royalties and tour income from the Tygers were never enough to retire on. The winner-take-all economics of music streaming leaves only live performances for small acts to make money. One problem has been that many smaller U.K. concert venues closed during the pandemic.

He is sometimes surprised by his various fans. After playing a recent gig with the Tygers, one of them recognized him.

Aren’t you the guy who sells tea and sandwiches on the train from London?"

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #207 on: June 26, 2024, 04:03:41 PM »

TS is a modern phenomenon. I've now heard some of her songs and she's impressive.

Being old, though, she can't touch Johnny Cash.

I rather think she wouldn't want to😱

The Dude abides
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #208 on: June 26, 2024, 08:32:58 PM »

TS is a modern phenomenon. I've now heard some of her songs and she's impressive.

There are of course, 20 year olds, who don’t know who the Beatles where…..
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2024, 09:39:49 PM »

Yes, that is absolutely the case. I genuinely would not recognise a single Taylor Swift song

As said, you almost certainly know at least one Taylor Swift song without realising it's a Taylor Swift song Smiley
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2024, 10:40:42 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2024, 11:13:51 PM »

Yes, that is absolutely the case. I genuinely would not recognise a single Taylor Swift song

As said, you almost certainly know at least one Taylor Swift song without realising it's a Taylor Swift song Smiley

And I contend I almost certainly don't. Where would I have heard it? I don't consume any media where mainstream music is being played. I also don't know what she looks like.

I do keep a playlist of one hit for every year of my life from my birthday but the recent ones are just a download of whatever was at the top of the chart that day, purchased unheard. No Taylor amongst them I'm afraid. It is possible to live from day to day without hearing or at least without registering modern mainstream music. As I said earlier, I am not consciously avoiding her specifically. I am just never in places where she gets played (I don't go to shops, bars etc so I don't tend to get bombarded with the constant barrage of music that afflicts many public places).
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2024, 08:43:30 AM »

Do we possibly have a slight topic drift?

DW
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2024, 09:59:40 AM »

Do we possibly have a slight topic drift?

DW
Welcome to TalkAWhile.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #214 on: June 27, 2024, 10:01:24 AM »

Need to get back on topic,
swiftly...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2024, 10:08:40 AM »

Well, what actually is the topic now? Simon said there might not be a Cropredy. Now we know there is a Cropredy and will continue to be a Cropredy. Storm in a teacup. End of topic.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2024, 10:09:59 AM »

Storm in a teacup. End of topic.

I wonder if their bank manager agrees...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2024, 10:13:02 AM »

Well, what actually is the topic now? Simon said there might not be a Cropredy. Now we know there is a Cropredy and will continue to be a Cropredy. Storm in a teacup. End of topic.

Must be true then……
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2024, 11:13:45 AM »

I read Simon's latest message as a 'Ooops, that spread a dark cloud didn't it ? Let's try a more positive approach.' thing.
The situation remains that they need to make a certain amount of profit out of Cropredy to keep going another year as is normally the case, but they have additional concerns to contend with, that other festivals, and maybe concert tours, are also facing.

This year will go ahead, but after that, we shall see.

Well I never did..
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2024, 11:39:08 AM »

There are of course, 20 year olds, who don’t know who the Beatles where…..

And High court judges😂😂😂

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: