TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 08, 2024, 01:08:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faiport Singers ...  (Read 4316 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2024, 12:40:26 PM »

Sandy (first stint in the band)for me if we’re talking pure beauty, emotion and tone, but Swarb for the natural swagger and ooomph! (I love the ‘Tom me boy!’ bit in Jack Orion.  Nothing against the other singers, who all have tracks on which they shine.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2024, 06:48:34 PM »

For me:

1. Simon
2. Chris
3. Swarb
4. Trevor
5. Sandy
6. Iain
7. Jude
8. RT
9. Peggy
10. Maart

Love the singing of the top seven within the band and without. The others are a few steps below for me although I agree that Peggy's vocals are an essential part of the mix.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2024, 06:53:00 PM »

Sandy Denny, the fifth best singer in Fairport?  A decent barrister would surely tear that argument apart in seconds...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
wayne stote

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2024, 06:58:37 PM »

Sandy Denny, the fifth best singer in Fairport?  A decent barrister would surely tear that argument apart in seconds...

My fifth favourite, at least. I think she's got a fabulous voice but I like the four above her a little more.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2024, 07:41:13 PM »

My fifth favourite, at least. I think she's got a fabulous voice but I like the four above her a little more.

Wayne, I swear you get more batshit by the minute.  Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2024, 09:28:06 PM »

I think Sandy was best in the studio, especially when produced by Joe Boyd. Her instrument suffered as time went on. Iain Matthews has a managed to maintain his sweet, pure voice all these years. Richard Thompson and Simon Nicol have improved by leaps and bounds since their first tentative steps, developing rich tones and wide ranges. Trevor Lucas was fab from the start, with that deep baritone. Swarb had a fine folk vocal style that was utterly unique, and Chris Leslie's sweet tenor is exactly what they needed in recent years. I can't really compare them because they're all so different and uniquely suited to the songs they sang on the records.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2024, 09:42:52 PM »

I think Sandy was best in the studio, especially when produced by Joe Boyd. Her instrument suffered as time went on. Iain Matthews has a managed to maintain his sweet, pure voice all these years. Richard Thompson and Simon Nicol have improved by leaps and bounds since their first tentative steps, developing rich tones and wide ranges. Trevor Lucas was fab from the start, with that deep baritone. Swarb had a fine folk vocal style that was utterly unique, and Chris Leslie's sweet tenor is exactly what they needed in recent years. I can't really compare them because they're all so different and uniquely suited to the songs they sang on the records.

John from Austin, how lovely it is to read this identification of all the individual strengths!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2024, 11:05:34 PM »

People’s personal,likes are personal likes…..
I think it’s about time in your life
I fell in love with the line up,of the band that only really lasted for 6 months, so it has to be Sandy…….
wayne stote

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2024, 12:56:35 AM »

Jules

Grin

Ah well. I can only go where my ears take me.  Smiley
wayne stote

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2024, 01:08:24 AM »

People’s personal,likes are personal likes…..
I think it’s about time in your life
I fell in love with the line up,of the band that only really lasted for 6 months, so it has to be Sandy…….

I agree that timing is important.

I discovered Fairport around the time of The Five Seasons at a time in life when I was become jaded by chart music and was looking for something different. Bought a concert ticket pretty much on a whim (it was the tour with Kieran Halpin in support) and was bowled over by how good the were. Simon's singing was a major part of that and he remains one of my favourite vocalists regardless of genre.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2024, 07:40:54 AM »

John from Austin, how lovely it is to read this identification of all the individual strengths!

That pretty much sums it up. They all have their own strengths and music is so subjective....thats why we love it
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2024, 01:33:58 PM »

Come on, name and shame.  Proof, man, I want proof  Grin  Fwiw, I don't like RltM but I'm not sure that's much to do with her voice.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2024, 04:00:53 PM »

Come on, name and shame.  Proof, man, I want proof  Grin  Fwiw, I don't like RltM but I'm not sure that's much to do with her voice.

To my ears, Sandy's voice became breathier and she lost her upper range after a time. I am a huge fan of her pre-Fairport recordings (e.g., Strawbs, Alex Campbell) and everything through Liege and Lief, and Fotheringay. Absolute favorites include: Fhir A' Bhata, She Moves Through the Fair, Crazy Man Michael, and Banks of the Nile. Listen to her range!!!! I like her singing on The Bunch album, as well.

Something changed around the time of North Star Grassman and things got progressively worse. I love Blackwaterside, but it feels like she's reaching for notes without getting them. Her producers included RT, Trevor and Glyn Johns, and I just don't think they got her very best. I've read accounts of the Trevor-produced recordings, in which she was singing live in studio surrounded by other musicians, meaning you're stuck with what you get. Why not put her in a vocal booth and have her sing over the backing tracks? Why not edit together the best performances?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2024, 04:16:56 PM »

Jules

Grin

Ah well. I can only go where my ears take me.  Smiley

I thought bats worked on radar!  Grin Wink

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2024, 05:52:59 PM »

Why not put her in a vocal booth and have her sing over the backing tracks? Why not edit together the best performances?
Mostly because they had a very limited number of tracks in those days. 4 track tape was still largely in use then, so they'd play and sing together to leave a couple of spare tracks for overdubs.

That's my guess, anyhow.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2024, 06:25:12 PM »

Is anyone going to correct the title, the missing r is diving me cazy!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2024, 06:44:10 PM »

Something changed around the time of North Star Grassman and things got progressively worse. I love Blackwaterside, but it feels like she's reaching for notes without getting them. Her producers included RT, Trevor and Glyn Johns, and I just don't think they got her very best. I've read accounts of the Trevor-produced recordings, in which she was singing live in studio surrounded by other musicians, meaning you're stuck with what you get. Why not put her in a vocal booth and have her sing over the backing tracks? Why not edit together the best performances?

Brilliant.  I literally believe almost the exact opposite of everything you say...horses for courses and all that!

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2024, 09:34:07 PM »

I'd have to go through and change the title of every reply. I just don't have the time.

So cazy you will have to be! Wink

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2024, 09:47:49 PM »

I'd have to go through and change the title of every reply. I just don't have the time.

So cazy you will have to be! Wink

Grin

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2024, 01:53:48 AM »

Brilliant.  I literally believe almost the exact opposite of everything you say...horses for courses and all that!

Fixed:

Starting with North Star Grassman, things got progressively better. I can do without Blackwaterside, but she really nails the high notes. Her producers included RT, Trevor and Glyn Johns, and I just think they got her very best. I've read accounts of the Trevor-produced recordings, in which she was singing live in studio surrounded by other musicians. The results were consistently astounding. For heavens sake, don't isolate her in a vocal booth and have her sing over the backing tracks. You'd have to edit together the best performances.

Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: