TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 08, 2024, 01:04:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faiport Singers ...  (Read 4315 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2024, 10:18:21 AM »

Something changed around the time of North Star Grassman and things got progressively worse. I love Blackwaterside, but it feels like she's reaching for notes without getting them. Her producers included RT, Trevor and Glyn Johns, and I just don't think they got her very best. I've read accounts of the Trevor-produced recordings, in which she was singing live in studio surrounded by other musicians, meaning you're stuck with what you get. Why not put her in a vocal booth and have her sing over the backing tracks? Why not edit together the best performances?

Brilliant.  I literally believe almost the exact opposite of everything you say...horses for courses and all that!

Fixed:

Starting with North Star Grassman, things got progressively better. I can do without Blackwaterside, but she really nails the high notes. Her producers included RT, Trevor and Glyn Johns, and I just think they got her very best. I've read accounts of the Trevor-produced recordings, in which she was singing live in studio surrounded by other musicians. The results were consistently astounding. For heavens sake, don't isolate her in a vocal booth and have her sing over the backing tracks. You'd have to edit together the best performances.

Wink

Ha ha Grin  Fwiw, I certainly think Grassman is her finest solo album... I also think of most of her pre-Fairport work as juvenilia...of interest, decent, but of nothing like the quality she produced from the off with Fairport.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
simon frisby
George Takei Socks

Loc: Great Yarmouth Norfolk

They made me do it!

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2024, 09:24:18 PM »

Didn't Ashley sing lead on  Million Dollar Bash on Unhalfbricking with the cod American accent?

Monster? I'll have you know I'm British!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2024, 09:34:24 PM »

Didn't Ashley sing lead on  Million Dollar Bash on Unhalfbricking with the cod American accent?
No, that was a guest vocal by Marc Ellington

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
simon frisby
George Takei Socks

They made me do it!

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2024, 11:08:00 PM »

Ah, i knew Marc sang on it, but I thought Ashley did too. All these years I've been living a lie!

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2024, 02:12:04 AM »

Ah, i knew Marc sang on it, but I thought Ashley did too. All these years I've been living a lie!

He did sing it on the 25th and 30th anniversary live albums.
Marc sang it on the 35th anniversary one.
I believe so, at least, I'm going on memory.
One or more may have different lyrics.

Well I never did..
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2024, 09:04:25 AM »

Something changed around the time of North Star Grassman and things got progressively worse. I love Blackwaterside, but it feels like she's reaching for notes without getting them. Her producers included RT, Trevor and Glyn Johns, and I just don't think they got her very best. I've read accounts of the Trevor-produced recordings, in which she was singing live in studio surrounded by other musicians, meaning you're stuck with what you get. Why not put her in a vocal booth and have her sing over the backing tracks? Why not edit together the best performances?

Brilliant.  I literally believe almost the exact opposite of everything you say...horses for courses and all that!

Fixed:

Starting with North Star Grassman, things got progressively better. I can do without Blackwaterside, but she really nails the high notes. Her producers included RT, Trevor and Glyn Johns, and I just think they got her very best. I've read accounts of the Trevor-produced recordings, in which she was singing live in studio surrounded by other musicians. The results were consistently astounding. For heavens sake, don't isolate her in a vocal booth and have her sing over the backing tracks. You'd have to edit together the best performances.

Wink

Ha ha Grin  Fwiw, I certainly think Grassman is her finest solo album... I also think of most of her pre-Fairport work as juvenilia...of interest, decent, but of nothing like the quality she produced from the off with Fairport.

I like all of Sandy's solo stuff.  North Star Grassman is a beautiful album but the production lets it down, I think.
I know it's not solo material, but I've grown to love her work with the Strawbs. She didn't exactly emerge fully formed as a singer, but so much of the Strawbs material  shows her as fully developed and confident.  

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2024, 04:33:16 PM »

Fixed:

Wink

I like all of Sandy's solo stuff.  North Star Grassman is a beautiful album but the production lets it down, I think.
I know it's not solo material, but I've grown to love her work with the Strawbs. She didn't exactly emerge fully formed as a singer, but so much of the Strawbs material  shows her as fully developed and confident.  

I agree. My original comments were directed specifically toward the quality of her singing voice, not the quality of the songs. I think she wrote amazing songs all the way to the end (including I'm a Dreamer, At the End of the Day, Stranger to Himself, It Suits Me Well, The Music Weaver). I wish 20-year old Sandy had sung them.
peter m

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2024, 05:11:13 PM »

I thought it was verse 1 Marc, 2 Ashley, 3 Sandy, 4. Richard, 5. Simon
simon frisby
George Takei Socks

They made me do it!

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2024, 10:02:29 PM »

I thought it was verse 1 Marc, 2 Ashley, 3 Sandy, 4. Richard, 5. Simon

At least I'm not the only one.....😂

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2024, 10:06:09 PM »

He did sing it on the 25th and 30th anniversary live albums.
Marc sang it on the 35th anniversary one.
I believe so, at least, I'm going on memory.

Definitely different lyrics on the 25th and 30th anniversary albums - Ashley rewrote them to comment on FC and Cropredy, usually mentioning Percy Sledge somewhere along the line!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: