TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2024, 02:14:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faiport Singers ...  (Read 4547 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« on: June 25, 2024, 08:51:52 AM »

Over the years FC has had a whole range of singers taking on lead vocals, I wonder how people rate them? My thought based solely on their work with Fairport:

1. Sandy - of course must be in first place, sublime.
2. Ian - his work with Judy and Sandy puts him in second place for me - a wonderful singer of that early West Coast style stuff
3. Trevor - a bit left field but I love Nine as an album and his vocals just make it for me
4, Swarb - all about the attitude
5. Jude - should have had a longer shot but first album is just brilliant
6. Chris - maybe Swarb light but has really grown into the role
7. Simon - never seems a happy singer, for me a good ballad singer but not enough "grunt" for the rocky side, a bit too affected sometimes for me
8. Thommo - just in FC terms was only learning by the time he left
9. Maart / Peggy - occasional singers and we know why

DW

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 09:08:38 AM »

I love Richard's early vocals (Fairport and Henry).  Much better than you're giving them credit for imho.  Strangely, whilst listening to the latest album the other day I decided that his 21st century vocal style is one of the reasons why I don't gel with his material these days.  Is (over?)confidence attractive in a vocalist?  Personally, I like to hear the vulnerability and fragility - which is probably why I love Jude and early Richard etc.  But those qualities are also very present in Sandy as well.  It's why the vast majority of covers of WKWTTG etc. will always miss by a country mile...they over-sing it which just grates.  I'm also a big fan of Trevor and Swarb (and not the world's greatest fan of Simon or Chris's vocal work).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 09:36:17 AM »

I think Simon's vocals are a lot better than you have rated them - I'd actually put him up as number 2 or 3.  I think he really grew into his singing from the 1980s restart onwards.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 09:40:12 AM »

It should be said that Chris singing as Swarb in the Full House lineup (as he did in 2009 and at various Cropredy performances etc.) is definitely not Swarb-lite.  Great job. It's his singing of his own songs that doesn't really work for me...but then neither do the songs if I'm being honest.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 09:45:19 AM »

I think I pretty much agree with everything that David has said in both his posts.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Peter Allen

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2024, 09:52:33 AM »

Not happy with Trevor being higher than both Swarb and Richard , I still see Full House as being part of the golden age , whereas Nine whilst it has it's moments....and Richard singing Matty Groves at breakneck speed at the Troubadour in 1970
Totally agree with Ian , who still sounds great in 2024
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2024, 10:37:28 AM »

If we're talking rankings, then I'm going Sandy; Swarb; Richard; Trevor; etc... Never was a fan of Iain's voice. I find it kind of characterless. I actually quite like Peggy's singing, but then I'm fond of a bit of Brummie twang.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2024, 10:56:13 AM »

If we're talking rankings, then I'm going Sandy; Swarb; Richard; Trevor; etc... Never was a fan of Iain's voice. I find it kind of characterless. I actually quite like Peggy's singing, but then I'm fond of a bit of Brummie twang.

Jules

Sandy
Swarb (and I think of Swarb as 'the voice of Fairport' much more than I do Sandy, or anyone else)
can't separate Richard and Ia(i)n
Jude
Trevor
Peggy
Simon
Chris
Maart

Can I be a contrary arse and include Dave Rea?  No, ok then...  Wink

David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2024, 10:58:39 AM »

I am ware that Ashley does not figure but did he ever sing lead when he was with Fairport - if so he goes in at 9 on my initial list.

DW
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 11:17:19 AM »

I am ware that Ashley does not figure but did he ever sing lead when he was with Fairport - if so he goes in at 9 on my initial list.

He sang lead when they did Million Dollar Bash at Cropredy, but not during his initial stint with the group, I don't think.

Jules

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2024, 12:09:12 PM »

Being the first Fairport singer I heard, Simon ranks very high on that list for me. I agree with Will’s comment. Swarb was the accidental vocalist if you will. Hired as the fiddle player who then became a vocalist. Sandy, Iain, and Jude  being pure singers I agree with the rankings. Trevor had a wonderful voice, and I too like Peggy’s occasional foray into lv. I only ever remember Maart doing North Country Girl as lead. As for Chris, love his singing, but agree that a percentage of his own songs don’t make him shine especially, but there are exceptions

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 01:45:42 PM »

As IMO Sandy and Iain are the best female and male vocalists ever, having taken the title from Grace and Marty in the sixties, the top two is easy, What is not so easy is to split them. I would ultimately have to go for Iain initially as he was the better and more confident live performer. He also has the great advantage of having lived so much longer and has been able to be produce a much greater and varied body of work. However , if we are talking purely about their time with Fairport then Sandy takes it easily.
Chris is a great singer and musician but I too dont enjoy his songs  so much although they do appear to be getting better. As an aside I thought his performance at Cropredy 1992 was the single most incredible music performance I have ever seen.
The rest of those named have all played their part over the years which is why most of us still listen to them.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2024, 02:32:16 PM »

As an aside I thought his performance at Cropredy 1992 was the single most incredible music performance I have ever seen.

It's certainly one of my faves.  Oh, what Fairport post-85 could have been...

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2024, 07:54:48 PM »

Clearly he is not the best singer technically and does not have the strongest voice but Swarb is definitely my favourite Fairport singer. Totally agree with David's comment about him being the voice of the band.

I appreciate Sandy more when I hear other people sing her material. Some of them do it very well, Chris While, Vikki Clayton but there was an earthiness to Sandy's voice which is often missing from other folk rock singers.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2024, 10:07:49 PM »

I think I pretty much agree with everything that David has said in both his posts.

Jules

And me. I really connect with RT's early vocal sound being light and full of melodic energy. Suited the songs brilliantly.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2024, 09:22:14 AM »

I appreciate Sandy more when I hear other people sing her material. Some of them do it very well, Chris While, Vikki Clayton but there was an earthiness to Sandy's voice which is often missing from other folk rock singers.

It's a very well put summary of an opinion I've held for a long time.
As for rankings - I'd put Simon Nicol unquestionably at number one. His journey from 'Breakfast in Mayfair' to (say) 'Home' shows the application and sheer hard work that can be it's own reward when there's a job to be done and someone needs to step up to do it, notwithstanding some odd pronunciations when there's an 'R' involved... Grin

Second, Dave Swarbrick - if only because when he sings about The Hexamshire Lass it really sounds like she's in for a fine time, and not being remarked upon like she's a portrait in the National Gallery.

Having said that, Chris Leslie has a fine tenor and is probably - technically - the best singer the band has employed for a long time.

As for the runners-up, I don't think RT had enough of a tenure to really evaluate his vocals within the scope of the band, although handily there are enough versions of Matty Groves to compare and contrast everyone who's ever sung it across not only the vocalists but over the different decades they themselves had a go at it.  Grin

I've got a lot of time for the work of Trevor Lucas, but what I will say is that he was the best singer in Fotheringay.  Cool      

Everyone's from somewhere, baby - might as well be here.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2024, 09:29:16 AM »

As for rankings - I'd put Simon Nicol unquestionably at number one.

I've got a lot of time for the work of Trevor Lucas, but what I will say is that he was the best singer in Fotheringay.  Cool      

Speechless  Wink Grin (not that I don't love Trevor's singing in Fotheringay, of course - I can only ever hear The Way I Feel with his awesome vocals)

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2024, 09:46:36 AM »

I don’t suppose anyone would put Peggy anywhere near the top, but I’ll say this for him, his backing vocals add a hell of a lot to the overall sound of Fairport.
I remember the gigs where Peggy had to drop out due to his hand injury, and the vocals were definitely missing something.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2024, 10:11:48 AM »

Dave Swarbrick - if only because when he sings about The Hexamshire Lass it really sounds like she's in for a fine time, and not being remarked upon like she's a portrait in the National Gallery.

Grin Grin Grin

Jules

David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2024, 10:22:07 AM »

Dave Swarbrick - if only because when he sings about The Hexamshire Lass it really sounds like she's in for a fine time, and not being remarked upon like she's a portrait in the National Gallery.

Grin Grin Grin

Jules

I loved the comment years ago in the region that Swarb sounds like he's going round the back of the bike sheds for a fag and a fumble and Chris sounds like he's taking you home to meet his mum and have a cup of tea.

DW
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: