TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2024, 10:41:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Food - 2024  (Read 1718 times)
iandiddams

« on: August 12, 2024, 09:56:37 AM »

not a single post about the food on the field :-)

in years past its been a hot topic :-)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2024, 11:29:31 AM »

OK, I’ll start!
I generally thought the food choice had been stepped up a notch this year and based on what I had, the quality was great too!
My favourites were the excellent (and very large!)Samosas. Great value at 3 for £7
and the smoked Andouille sausage and red beans from the Cajun stall.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024, 11:32:18 AM »

The hot chocolate with cream and a flake was really lovely from the Coffee and Doughnuts stand.

(Don't tell my diabetic nurse)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2024, 11:55:31 AM »

Everything I had was good, and there was more I'd have liked to taste too.

I enjoyed the Greek souvlaki particularly, and the porterhouse burger was excellent, as were the fish and chips and noodles.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2024, 12:35:32 PM »

As one of those annoying vegans I always wish for more vegan options, but I was pleased with what was there. Ever since Taste Tibet started coming in 2022 they have become my go-to. The Spinach and Chickpea Curry with vegan Momo is a meal fit for kings as far as this commoner is concerned.

Mortlake "Obsidian Mirror" streaming now.
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2025...

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2024, 01:23:10 PM »

Our usual go-to is the felafel in pitta bread with hummus, from the "Vegan & Vegetarian" stall - it has almost become a tradition (and is one of the few examples of vegetarian food that I am willing to eat!) It was as good as usual.

We stayed on Field 8 / COTC and I have to say that the food there was of a much higher quality than I was expecting. We ate there on 2 of the 4 nights that we stayed.

Talking of food, does anybody know why the school wasn't doing breakfast this year?

--
Philip
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2024, 02:13:37 PM »

Our usual go-to is the felafel in pitta bread with hummus, from the "Vegan & Vegetarian" stall - it has almost become a tradition (and is one of the few examples of vegetarian food that I am willing to eat!) It was as good as usual.

We stayed on Field 8 / COTC and I have to say that the food there was of a much higher quality than I was expecting. We ate there on 2 of the 4 nights that we stayed.

Talking of food, does anybody know why the school wasn't doing breakfast this year?

I know they were struggling to get the 90 volunteers they needed to donate 3 hrs each of time. So maybe thats why?

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2024, 04:34:00 PM »

Veggie food was good, but a bit on the pricey side (£14:50 for burger and chips). Best value was the mac n cheese from the SMAK stall at the front. £5 for a mushroom mac, very filling and good portion size!
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2024, 07:11:33 PM »

Oggies seemed to have suffered shrinkflation, in terms of size and filling, but still tasty.

Had some noodles on Saturday. Enjoyed a pulled pork barbecue bap the one day. Also, took some things with us to save money, but ended up spending too much on cups of tea at £2 to £3 a go.

If we went again, we would be working out the tea situation.
vince42

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2024, 07:44:17 PM »

Coffee, hot chocolate with cream and flake, doughnuts  excellent.

Leons as good as ever - tasty and very filling.

Coffee from the van on field 7 was much appreciated on Saturday.

Only one minor gripe  - I went for the meat Thali at the Indian food stall at the top of the field.  The veggie one was very good( I have it on good authority) but I didn't really like the kebab meat in the curry - it would have been much better with lamb.  That notwithstanding it was ok and filling but if I'm tempted again I'll have the veggie option.

The dogs enjoyed the various chips spilled around the arena...

Vince
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2024, 07:57:12 PM »

I struggled a bit more with gluten free food this year. I think there were 4/5 places that said things were gf, but then that they used the same utensils/same fryer/same cooking surface etc so they weren’t safe.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2024, 08:16:33 PM »

I struggled a bit more with gluten free food this year. I think there were 4/5 places that said things were gf, but then that they used the same utensils/same fryer/same cooking surface etc so they weren’t safe.

How ridiculous.  One of the pubs around here makes a big song and dance about gluten free fish and chips but then tells you they're all cooked in the same fryer.  Idiots!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
NickNickNick (Nick)
n3wb

Loc: Bristol

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2024, 11:40:38 PM »

Second vote for Taste Tibet - best food of the festival for us. Staff were very reassuring on a nut allergy in our party, apparently no nuts used at all in their kitchen
Samosas were excellent as always

We went for the the hog roast roll but found it a bit lacking in flavour and portion size, perhaps the bbq pulled pork was better

I didn't bother with the halloumi fries stall this year as the price seemed a bit steep (9.50 if I am remembering right?). Got my fix as part of a Greek Souvlaki wrap  Smiley
PJayBe

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2024, 01:55:26 PM »

As my dear lady wife is gluten AND dairy free, it really makes eating out a pain, a festival even more so.
PhilipK

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2024, 11:18:08 AM »

I know they were struggling to get the 90 volunteers they needed to donate 3 hrs each of time. So maybe thats why?

Thanks - that makes sense.

I got a feeling (just anecdotal - no evidence) that perhaps the village wasn't as bought in to the festival as in previous years. I wonder whether it might be related to the various fringe activities not having integrated as well as the main festival has done over the years? It would be a real problem if the festival lost the support of the villagers. Or is my perception completely out of kilter?

--
Philip
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2024, 11:49:55 AM »

Thanks - that makes sense.

I got a feeling (just anecdotal - no evidence) that perhaps the village wasn't as bought in to the festival as in previous years. I wonder whether it might be related to the various fringe activities not having integrated as well as the main festival has done over the years? It would be a real problem if the festival lost the support of the villagers. Or is my perception completely out of kilter?

Seen the video clips of people in festival bands peeing on someone's driveway?  I'm not surprised they're not as bought in as in previous years...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PhilipK

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2024, 12:29:12 PM »

Seen the video clips of people in festival bands peeing on someone's driveway?  I'm not surprised they're not as bought in as in previous years...

I haven't seen that, but it's disgusting. I did see a couple of (badly/illegally) parked cars with traffic cones placed on their roofs.

As I said, without the support of the villagers (and I always thought that the school fundraising by providing breakfast was a good example) it will be much more difficult for the festival - and the fringes - to survive. Imagine if a substantial number of residents objected to a licence being granted...

--
Philip
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2024, 12:41:04 PM »

The two photos of the phantom pissers in the act should be put on the big screens next year. Name and shame...)  (though they might not even have been in the main field, the images of the wristbands are indistinct).

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
iandiddams

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2024, 01:17:09 PM »

The two photos of the phantom pissers in the act should be put on the big screens next year. Name and shame...)  (though they might not even have been in the main field, the images of the wristbands are indistinct).

do we know it actually was cropredy this weekend just gone, rathjer than some video lifted from the web of "somewhere else" ?  its not as if similar hasnt been done before for whatever strange agenda...

(not doubting anybody here !)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2024, 02:13:16 PM »

Good point well made...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: