TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 21, 2024, 06:31:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2025 Wishlist  (Read 5067 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2024, 06:29:14 PM »

…extra request from me…

Fairport performing a good wodge of Rising for the Moon on its 50th anniversary with a special guest singer..

That’s one for the win tour
We’re on about bands which may help the festival survive

We’re really discussing people’s own personal wishes for 2025…so that sounds reasonable to me. They have celebrated album anniversaries at their festival before, after all.

Aye, what with it being (supposedly, anyway) their festival and all that...  It sometimes sounds like they're unwanted intruders at something which was (until fairly recently) entirely about them.  It's utterly monstrous.

… but looking at other Fairport F book sites…people asking why Fairport set is so long!!!!!!
For old farts like you and me David , I think we are accepting that the fest has become a generic fest at which Fairports and all things Fairport related are not the main attraction.
.and to go off at a tangent I happened to be folding (!) a 1993 Fest T-shirt today at which Robert Plant and Roy Wood did long sets as part of a 4 hr Fairport set. Tempis Fugit.

As long the festival remains "Fairport's Cropredy Convention", which is its official title, not Cropredy Festival or anything else people may like to call it, the length and timing of Fairport's set remains entirely their prerogative.

When that name changes to "A Random Selection of People In A Field", everyone who wants the weekend to end with a tight 60 minutes by insert latest YouTube 5 minute wonder here can fill their boots.

The festival is Fairport's annual homecoming. It serves no purpose without them. It carries their name. They sponsor and organise it. If there is ever a festival on the site for which those things are no longer true, it will just be a generic festival with no ties to the location. It may be commercially more successful but it will be entirely meaningless and without the unique character that the current festival's history and hosts bring to it.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2024, 06:40:31 PM »

The festival is Fairport's annual homecoming. It serves no purpose without them. It carries their name. They sponsor and organise it. If there is ever a festival on the site for which those things are no longer true, it will just be a generic festival with no ties to the location. It may be commercially more successful but it will be entirely meaningless and without the unique character that the current festival's history and hosts bring to it.

I've said this before but personally I think the damage was done when (after Chris stopped organising it) the festival changed from Fairport's "Annual Reunion" to "Fairport's Cropredy Convention" which I don't actually think means anything much to anyone.  Another example of a rebranding which didn't necessarily achieve what it set out to do.  It (deliberately?) weakened the branding...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2024, 06:56:40 PM »

I've said this before but personally I think the damage was done when (after Chris stopped organising it) the festival changed from Fairport's "Annual Reunion" to "Fairport's Cropredy Convention" which I don't actually think means anything much to anyone.  Another example of a rebranding which didn't necessarily achieve what it set out to do.  It (deliberately?) weakened the branding...

I presume that came about as a result of a copyright after the split with Chris and also possibly as an acceptance that it by that point much more prominently featured the working band rather than a collection of previous members. It still retains their name above the title. It still proclaims the festival as their event by use of "Fairport's".

But I agree that some of the ways in which the festival changed through financial/commercial imperatives at that point made it less palatable to some of the old guard.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2024, 06:58:43 PM »

I think the general rise of festivals round every corner has changed things, too, including the reasons people attend festivals and what they expect. Various people’s earlier points are so true re: the difficult balance, in keeping the festival for what it is and encouraging wider attendance without selling out, becoming just another festival.

We felt a bit sad to note that many of the groups near to us didn’t stop to reflect when the beautiful tribute to Gerry was shown, which was quite telling.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2024, 07:11:46 PM »

When I started going in the early 90s it was just called 'Cropredy Festival'.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2024, 07:18:17 PM »

It was around 2005 (?) when it changed, I think.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2024, 07:44:36 PM »

Good spot.  You're not wrong - I just checked the 1990 programme.  I'm fairly certain the Fairport's Annual Reunion tag lasted though, on some things if only on the stage backdrop?  So, definitely 3 iterations, at least...  The honest truth is maybe after the divorce they had to change the name for legal/financial reasons?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2024, 07:55:28 PM »

I think the general rise of festivals round every corner has changed things, too, including the reasons people attend festivals and what they expect. Various people’s earlier points are so true re: the difficult balance, in keeping the festival for what it is and encouraging wider attendance without selling out, becoming just another festival.

We felt a bit sad to note that many of the groups near to us didn’t stop to reflect when the beautiful tribute to Gerry was shown, which was quite telling.

It may be unpalatable for some to accept but there are a number of people who come to the festival and don’t want to watch fairport convention play.
This year I did make an observation that attendees were not leaving the field in the numbers they have in the past when FC are about to play (some years it’s been very noticeable)
I concluded from this that those on the field were mainly fairport die hards and those enticed by more attractive headliners who were not interested in FC were those not in attendance.

FWIW i stayed to listen to FC as I always do.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2024, 08:05:47 PM »

Thea Gilmore
William the Conqueror
Fishermen's Friends
Ocean Colour Scene
Turin Brakes
Tom Robinson
Squeeze

I'm sure others will come to mind tomorrow

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
markwood

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2024, 10:14:40 PM »

How about David Carroll and his Bold Reynold/Bold Reynold Too friends? Two of the finest new albums of what might be called "traditional" folk rock I've heard in years - other opinions might be available but obviously they're wrong  Grin

Also, Oysterband could perhaps add another date to their farewell tour?
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2024, 11:25:05 PM »

Cropredy has always been a festival where 'special' performances or collaborations have featured like the fabulous Liege and Lief set. I would be really happy to see a 2025 version of the GPs come together. Listening now to the album and it's wonderful. I guess the cost of rehearsal time makes this a bit of a pipe dream sadly. Perhaps Ralph and guests is a more realistic option as long as RT is involved as well.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2024, 12:00:58 AM »

It may be unpalatable for some to accept but there are a number of people who come to the festival and don’t want to watch fairport convention play.
This year I did make an observation that attendees were not leaving the field in the numbers they have in the past when FC are about to play (some years it’s been very noticeable)
I concluded from this that those on the field were mainly fairport die hards and those enticed by more attractive headliners who were not interested in FC were those not in attendance.

Or maybe lots of people who were not originally Fairport fans have come to enjoy their set over the years, and decided to stay?

You seem determined to fit events into your pre-determined narrative. Maybe you could consider that you might not be correct in your assumptions?
Wandering Steve

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2024, 07:22:43 AM »

[/

Or maybe lots of people who were not originally Fairport fans have come to enjoy their set over the years, and decided to stay?

You seem determined to fit events into your pre-determined narrative. Maybe you could consider that you might not be correct in your assumptions?

It was just an observation
We would need to wait until next year(and a different line up) to make a judgement one way or the other.
It’ll be interesting to see.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 10:57:58 AM by Andy » Logged
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2024, 09:30:05 AM »

Cropredy has always been a festival where 'special' performances or collaborations have featured like the fabulous Liege and Lief set. I would be really happy to see a 2025 version of the GPs come together. Listening now to the album and it's wonderful. I guess the cost of rehearsal time makes this a bit of a pipe dream sadly. Perhaps Ralph and guests is a more realistic option as long as RT is involved as well.

I think it was in the programme, but there was mention somewhere that a 'new' recording had come to light and was going to be released in the next few months. But does that make it more likely that we might see a reunion?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2024, 12:25:34 PM »

I think it was in the programme, but there was mention somewhere that a 'new' recording had come to light and was going to be released in the next few months. But does that make it more likely that we might see a reunion?

The GPs have certainly played at Cropredy at least once, maybe a couple of times in my time there ('84-'10).  I love the album....

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2024, 05:45:26 PM »

I think that a lot of the regulars no longer have to leave early to put their children to bed!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
iandiddams

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2024, 06:10:46 PM »

I think that a lot of the regulars no longer have to leave early to put their children to bed!!

But their kids have to leave early to put their parents to bed!
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2024, 06:35:24 PM »

It's not out of the question. They've stated on their FB group that while touring definitely ends in March next year, there's going to be at least one special UK event (all details TBA) after that, and 2025 festival dates aren't being ruled out.

I'll add:

Yusuf
Dream in Colours
Merry Hell (further up the bill this time)
Thea Gilmore
Kate Rusby (she won't be doing Underneath the Stars next year, after all...)
Tide Lines OR Skipinnish
Duran Duran
Wandering Steve

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2024, 09:34:20 PM »

It's not out of the question. They've stated on their FB group that while touring definitely ends in March next year, there's going to be at least one special UK event (all details TBA) after that, and 2025 festival dates aren't being ruled out.

I'll add:

Yusuf
Dream in Colours
Merry Hell (further up the bill this time)
Thea Gilmore
Kate Rusby (she won't be doing Underneath the Stars next year, after all...)
Tide Lines OR Skipinnish
Duran Duran

I’ve just looked at Duran Duran live from 2023
They sound very good still
Now that would sell a lot of tickets in the same way Alice cooper and madness did.
I would love to see all those acts but Duran Duran at cropredy…..
That’s 20,000 imo
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2024, 11:19:07 PM »

Not posted on here for a long time. I attended every Cropredy from 1987 until 2019. Then along came the 2 years of forced absence and everything changed. I have not been for the last 3 years. In 2022 and 2023 I drove over on the Saturday afternoon and walked around the village just to take in the atmosphere
(I am only 30 minutes away) but this year didn't go at all. If it hadn't been for Covid I am sure I would have just carried on going come what may. But like many I am sure the break made me realise that I could live without it and I would need enticing back. Unfortunately the line up over the last 3 years has not done that and I have chosen to spend my 'music allowance' elsewhere. I would dearly love to be enticed back as it was a big part of my life for 33 summers with many great memories.

Getting to the topic of a wish list of those who would get me back, there are many I can think of but 3 who I have seen in the last year who were excellent and would certainly bring me back to that field, and I suspect sell a couple of thousand more tickets are Paul Weller, Richard Ashcroft and Johnny Marr.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: