TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 21, 2024, 04:02:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different version of Lowlands of Holland  (Read 650 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: September 06, 2024, 02:35:30 PM »

Yesterday I learned that some of the early pressings of Hark! The Village Wait had a noticeably different mix of The Lowlands of Holland, with Terry Woods' lead guitar dominating the instrumental passage. Made me wonder if anyone out there has only ever heard it this way. If so, look up the more common variation on YouTube. Meanwhile, for those of you who have yet to hear the earlier mix, here it is...

https://youtu.be/dUOgUgilwNI

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2024, 02:42:22 PM »

Yesterday I learned that some of the early pressings of Hark! The Village Wait had a noticeably different mix of The Lowlands of Holland, with Terry Woods' lead guitar dominating the instrumental passage. Made me wonder if anyone out there has only ever heard it this way. If so, look up the more common variation on YouTube. Meanwhile, for those of you who have yet to hear the earlier mix, here it is...

Jules

Unhelpful I know, but I'm sure I've read an interview with Terry where he talks about this, but I can't find it anywhere...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2024, 02:43:28 PM »

Unhelpful I know, but I'm sure I've read an interview with Terry where he talks about this, but I can't find it anywhere...

Let me know if you remember/locate. Same goes to anyone else.

Jules

Greg E

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 05:05:54 PM »

Jules

Yeah, if you can recall anything from the interview that would be very helpful. Nothing is really known about this early pressing version. No one seems to know why it was changed, or how many records were pressed with this version. It is impossible to tell from the actual LP which version it will have on it
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 07:06:04 PM »

Jules

Yeah, if you can recall anything from the interview that would be very helpful. Nothing is really known about this early pressing version. No one seems to know why it was changed, or how many records were pressed with this version. It is impossible to tell from the actual LP which version it will have on it

I really can't identify what it was, I'm afraid but I have a distinctive memory of the interview as Terry also talked about Dr Strangely Strange (which is quite unusual).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 07:22:25 PM »

I've just found this podcast which is an interview with Terry about his early days. I'm going in!

https://shows.acast.com/the-ireland-podcast/episodes/93-terry-woods-sweeneys-men-steeleye-span-more-part-1

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2024, 07:29:29 PM »

I've just found this podcast which is an interview with Terry about his early days. I'm going in!

https://shows.acast.com/the-ireland-podcast/episodes/93-terry-woods-sweeneys-men-steeleye-span-more-part-1

Jules

This was in print (but I think, online).  Do please let me know if the above mentions Dr SS Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2024, 07:37:05 PM »

Do please let me know if the above mentions Dr SS Smiley

I don't think it does. I skipped ahead to the Steeleye part, but Dr SS aren't mentioned in the fairly detailed precis.

And no light shed on Lowlands of Holland either, alas.

Jules

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: