TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 21, 2024, 03:48:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy Capers……  (Read 888 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« on: September 17, 2024, 07:39:00 AM »

I’m sure there must be a thread for this somewhere but I can’t find it! So this book ‘ Another People’s History of Fairport Convention ‘  is the second of ‘fans’ recollections of the band.
Some weeks ago I had forgotten I had contributed to this but my copy arrived yesterday. I have jumped about to contributors I know, lovely to see so many tawhilers mentioned but now I will settle down to read it cover to cover.
Already it’s evoking memories.
There is a lot of Fairport memorobelia but this is one to treasure I think…
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 10:06:49 AM »

Mine arrived a couple of days ago.

I too have read all the pieces by people that I know and loved every story.

I will read it right through too.

I was happy that my piece was in it and three photos too.

A delightful book, thank you Richard Houghton.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2024, 03:01:57 PM »

I think the price on the book is £30?  For those interested, it is available on Amazon at £25.73 (inc postage if you're a Prime member) and on eBay at £23.61 inc postage.

Do I want it, then?  I think I was so irrationally annoyed about the wholly unoriginal name that I disengaged with the book from the off.  Is a fair proportion of the book about 'the early days' (last century!)?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2024, 03:52:44 PM »

I think the price on the book is £30?  For those interested, it is available on Amazon at £25.73 (inc postage if you're a Prime member) and on eBay at £23.61 inc postage.

Do I want it, then?  I think I was so irrationally annoyed about the wholly unoriginal name that I disengaged with the book from the off.  Is a fair proportion of the book about 'the early days' (last century!)?

It is simply people’s memories of Fairport in the chronological,order of a particular incident or gig they remember. It ranges Summer 1966 to March 2024. People who’ve been doing Cropredy every year since early 80’s , people who didn’t know who Fairport where until 3 years ago.
It’s a personal account, some more engaging than others but I’m finding it a lovely read in a positively nostalgic way .
Very glad I have it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 04:21:08 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2024, 05:41:22 PM »

So glad I have it too, it’s perfect for me.

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
kenhughes

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2024, 06:15:18 PM »

It is a very nice idea and very considerate in its approach to the band and their history.

If it is not your kind of thing, then perhaps just do not buy it rather than being cynical.

I have my copy and am privileged to have my contribution included, but I think it is a great addition to the first book.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2024, 07:22:54 PM »

It is a very nice idea and very considerate in its approach to the band and their history.

If it is not your kind of thing, then perhaps just do not buy it rather than being cynical.

I have my copy and am privileged to have my contribution included, but I think it is a great addition to the first book.

No cynicism,  I'm just trying to find out if "it's my kind of thing" - that's literally the point.  My only criticism is that I just think it was lazy as hell to use a name that's already been well used already... Can you remind me what the first book was, please?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2024, 12:55:50 PM »

No cynicism,  I'm just trying to find out if "it's my kind of thing" - that's literally the point.  My only criticism is that I just think it was lazy as hell to use a name that's already been well used already... Can you remind me what the first book was, please?

The first one was called Gonna See All My Friends.  Yes, the name Cropredy Capers has been used before, but not for a book, I think, and it probably fits the content pretty well!

I'm looking forward to getting my copy of the new one in a couple of weeks, and hopefully seeing my contribution, as well as those of others I know.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2024, 03:05:11 PM »

I enjoyed your contribution Will!

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2024, 12:15:36 AM »

I was delighted to get my piece in this year, including a couple of pics of my Farewell '79 programme and my Swarb in his underpants pic. I was luckily able tp pick it up two days before Cropredy at the warm-up gig in Banbury. I have to say Richard was a pleasure to deal with at all stages, a real gent.
It's a lovely read than can be dipped into at random, and amazing to hear so many wildly different accounts of how we came to let this motley bunch into our hearts.
@Dave Hendo, we were both there in August '79 - who could have dreamed that 45 years later.....

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2024, 09:04:01 AM »

That's good to know.  I can't remember exactly what I said now!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2024, 11:55:11 AM »

Hahahaha 😁

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 09:17:43 AM »

Exactly Will. I had completely forgotten I had contributed to this.
I am just pleased and happy that my friends widow ( I talk about him and putting his ashes on field during MOTL) who read the piece yesterday , was genuinely touched by it and felt it more than appropriate. I am hugely relieved.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 02:03:58 PM »

I contributed to the previous volume. My offering was about how we took my brother to his last Cropredy in 2007 and how I arranged for a plaque to be placed at Jonah's Oak as a tribute to him - as well as a nice picture of him and his wife and kids at the 2007 festival. It still brings a lump to my throat when I see it.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: